Thread: Video Card

Video Card

Can this be fixed?

My new video card came in pretty much broken. Loaded the drivers bla bla bla and it won't turn on by that I mean the computer turns but the monitor displays nothing. The computer doesn't even turn on when I have the PCI-e cables in >.<!

Anyways, I downgraded back to my radeon hd 4350 I believe and booted up the computer. I can see stuff and it loads up windows but after the logo loads my screen goes black and I see nothing but the computer is still on. I have to boot up in safe mode. During this time I try to download the drivers for my card and I get a error something like this "Can't not find device" or something along those lines.

Any help at all? I have to run to a raid soon (On Rag today ^-^!).

Set up:
    Mobo: GA-z68x-UD4-B3
    CPU: i5 2500k
    Case: Haf x
    PSU: Antec Green watt 750W

If any more information is needed please ask. I don't know if I covered everything

Did you have to make another thread for this?
    I'm guessing that the drivers you installed for the new card are interfering with the ones from your old card. It can do basic stuff without drivers but nothing 3d-accelerated (windows aero is 3d-accelerated.. among other things).
    Did you uninstall the drivers from your new card? I'm not really sure how to do that never have had to before :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Try these 2 methods:

Method 1:
    1. In safe mode, remove the old driver software, and after that do the same from Device Manager. Reboot afterwards and see if it works.

Method 2:
    1. Additionally to Method 1, after rebooting spam F8 until you get the boot method screen (where you select safe mode etc..) - Select VGA mode and see if you can install the drivers in that mode.

GL,

- MK

Tried that, got the error Failed to load detection driver

I can't believe no one has asked this but...
    What is the graphic card and the operating system ?

I'm going to RMA the card but I need to figure out this issue with the old card now so when a new card does come in I actually have something I can do with it.

XFX Radeon HD 6870

The old and the new drivers aren't conflicting since if you installed a new Catalyst it will just replace the old one.
    And am I understanding this correctly ? When you plug the pci-e cable it doesn't boot, but when you unplug it it boots with a black screen ?
    Edit:
    Search "device manager" in the Start menu in safe mode.
    From there go on "display adapters". You should see the 4350. Right click and "uninstall".
    After reboot the Windows should hopefully install it's own driver and boot correctly.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-18 at 12:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there at any point, whether you use the new card, the old card, or the on-board graphics, that your computer actually boots up? This kind of sounds like a bad video slot on the Motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The old and the new drivers aren't conflicting since if you installed a new Catalyst it will just replace the old one.
    And am I understanding this correctly ? When you plug the pci-e cable it doesn't boot, but when you unplug it it boots with a black screen ?
    Edit:
    Search "device manager" in the Start menu in safe mode.
    From there go on "display adapters". You should see the 4350. Right click and "uninstall".
    After reboot the Windows should hopefully install it's own driver and boot correctly.
    I'll try that, and yes, on the side of the card are 2 6 pin connectors that when I put them in, they just don't turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
    Is there at any point, whether you use the new card, the old card, or the on-board graphics, that your computer actually boots up? This kind of sounds like a bad video slot on the Motherboard.
    The old card turns on and it uses the same slot, I tried a system restore(Really should have thought of this before) and it seems to be working this time. Debating whether to give this new card one more go. Thoughts?

I'm really hoping it not the PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    Debating whether to give this new card one more go. Thoughts?
    If you do it, uninstall everything from the old driver via Catalyst. The best way is to download a new driver, open it and select "uninstall" from the installation menu.
    Though it doesn't sound like a driver problem if you can't even get to the BIOS.
    Actually, try resetting the BIOS to default settings first.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-08-18 at 12:35 AM.