Deleted

Mobo + PSU - which ones to get?

I'm not planning to upgrade these parts at the moment, but these are the parts that's next in line to be subjects for upgrade seeing as those are the parts that are the most outdated now.

My specs are:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 @ 2.8GHz OC'd 4GHz (Getting new cooler tomorrow, so that'll be even higher OC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
    RAM: 4GBx2 Corsair Vengeance Low profile
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6950
    Mobo: GA-870A-UD3
    SSD: Some Crucial, 128GB
    HDD: At the moment 1TB @ 7200 and 500GB @ 7200. If I'm lucky I'll get to buy 4x1TB @ 7200 'really' cheap, figured I might as well do it if that's the case.
    Case: Xigmatek Elysium
    PSU: Some pretty cheap 650W

Now, I'm not going to upgrade in a couple of months, but hypothetically, if I were to order it today. What should I get? I want a PSU that could handle crossfire, and afaik my mobo is bottlenecking my RAM right now. From what I read in specifics about it, it only supports 1333MHz while the RAM are 1600MHz. CPU is AM3 socket.

What would you recommend? (Nothing too extreme, but enough to be on par with my current setup, and some upgrades here and there).

Oh, and please try to explain WHY I should get whatever you suggest, I'm looking for some knowledge in the PSU and Mobo area as well

Edit: what's up with the new : D smiley? O.O
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2011-08-18 at 01:03 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 (Bulldozer Ready)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W (really good deal on it atm 25$instant save+25$mir)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371049

This PSU will support 6950 CFX for sure

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 (Bulldozer Ready)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W (really good deal on it atm 25$instant save+25$mir)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371049

This PSU will support 6950 CFX for sure
    But that motherboard only supports Sata III? I got quite a few old HDD's for storage lying around I don't want to just throw away ^^

sata3 is backward compatible with sata2 and sata1 ... but yea if ur talking about IDE HDD , sry but maybe u should think about getting some new HDD
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-08-18 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    But that motherboard only supports Sata III? I got quite a few old HDD's for storage lying around I don't want to just throw away ^^
    don't worry about that, sataIII and usb3.0 are backwards compatible.
    And I second mnm, good choices.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    sata3 is backward compatible with sata2 and sata1 ... but yea if ur talking about IDE HDD , sry but maybe u should think about getting some new HDD
    Ah, I see. And no, I'm not running any IDE HDD :P Just some Sata and Sata2 I raided from some family members old computers.
    EDIT: Would it be possible to find a motherboard that supports some more Sata ports? As I said, I might have 4 more drives coming in soon so that would require quite a few ports :P Doesn't matter if there are a few Sata 2 ports since the average (or any?) HDD wouldn't be able to even get close to the cap anyway. Or is the 6 slot standard on most boards?
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2011-08-18 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 2 so it's not an issue. Now, if you have IDE drives... pull everything off them and toss them. IDE is over.

Also, your current mobo is capable of OCing your RAM to 1866 as long as they're in slots 3&4. So you probably won't get much, if anything, from a Mobo upgrade.

As far as Power Supplies go, I always use Corsair HX series power supplies. Never had one fail but they have a 7 year warranty (most the other good ones only have a 5 year warranty) just in case one ever does. And I've dealt with returns with Corsair and they've always been painless which is a very important quality in a manufacturer. Although at $80AR the Antec one mnm linked to is a pretty good deal and Antec tends to be well regarded as a PS manufacturer as well.

And 6 SATA ports seems to be about the max. Newegg only has one with 7 and it's out of stock.
    If you need more you'll probably have to get an addon card. Newegg has a 4 port one that will work in your PCI-E 4x slot for about $20 although the reviews on it are a bit hit or miss. They also have a 2 port card that reviews better for $30.
    I personally have a an 8 port PCI card that's about $100 but plugged into a PCI slot (it's a PCI-X card, but works in a PCI slot as well) it's really slow but since I use the drives hooked up to it just for storage, that's not an issue. Also, if you run just about any flavor of *nix, don't bother as it probably won't work.
    Last edited by Ecwfrk; 2011-08-18 at 02:06 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    In most boards 6 sata slots is the max. However it is possible to purchase a PCI Express to Sata port add on card. Should you want to add in more drives.