Other computer wont boot up (is this the right place?)

Ok so my brother claims that he turned his computer on went to facebook (some facebook game) and after a few minutes his screen frozen, he tried ctrl alt delete but nothing happened so he then just held the computer on switch down till it cut the power.

Now when I try to turn it on the fans start up and after about 4-5 seconds it all cuts off. I get no motherboard beeps or anything. I can see / hear that the dvd drive, hdd, cpu fan and psu fan all start.

What could this be?

Motherboard or something attached to it fried. Basically pull off everything except the CPU and see if you get any beeps then. If it beeps add RAM, try again, add graphics card... and so on.

If there's no beep with only CPU plugged into the motherboard, one of those two is dead but there's unfortunately no easy way to know for sure which unless you can see physical burn marks somewhere on the motherboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Ok thanks for quick reply I'll get right on that, will post update soon.

---------- Post added 2011-08-18 at 10:54 AM ----------

Ok well that was fast seems it's either the cpu or mobo then. I pulled everything out like you said (gpu ram hdd optical drive) and it still does the same thing.

Think it's done for? Just buy a new one?

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it's not overly dirty and all the fans are spinning, check the voltages in the bios if you can get in. good chance it could just be the power supply. If you are up to it, connect your power supply to his machine and see if it resolves it.

Just finished doing that and it produces the same results. Guess it's time to buy a new one any ways.