Are sims always right?

I just got Casque of the Iron Bomber from a mythic box, which has haste/vers (our worst stats). Now this helm sims 200 dps higher than my current helm which is a 670 crafted crit/multi helm simply because more stats and I was just wondering are sims always right? I see almost every top warrior wearing the crafted helm, and I find it hard to believe not one of them has had the opportunity to acquire this mythic helm so i'm just unsure if while this helm may sim slightly higher if is in fact an upgrade given i'm giving up my 2 best stats for my 2 worst... Any opinions/help?

Hey,

This is where theory meets reality. Mathematically the 685 crap stat helm is stronger. However speaking from a Single tar/Fury POV the out put is soo close i would keep the 670. Just one more lucky enrage makes that helm worth. Something else to consider the 685 helm is way better for other plate wearers in these top end guilds and because of which will always be given out to every other class before a warrior. Something to note Arms cleave scales way better with vers and would prob be a gain 2+ targets as arms.

The Mythic head is the best head available up until we can get the tier head from BRF simply due to it being 15 I-lvls higher than the other options. Compared to MoP Strength is worth considerably more compared to our secondary stats, this means that even tho an item has our two worst stats it will be an upgrade simply due to the extra strength that is on it. This is just a general answer tho, and there are some exceptions to this rule, so if you want to be sure if an item is an upgrade or not just sim it as you did with the head. I can personally attest to the fact that the warrior module in Sim-C is good enough to trust.

Okay so this is something that will happen alot especially after Blackrock gets released.

As it turns out, strength is a very very good stat and an item with a higher item level will automatically have significantly more of it. Even the few fantastic crit/multistrike pieces that drop from highmaul technically won't fit into the bis list because their item level is slightly lower than some random blackrock item with crit and some garbage stat. They only lose by a fraction, but still lose.

If you happen to get one of these annoying items from your mythic box then yay for you I suppose, but when it comes to raids and loot that has to be distributed it all comes down to how big of a piece of shit you are (excuse my french). Strength trinkets in highmaul are very problematic for a similar reason. Both the bottle from Brackenspore and the heart from Tectus have an abundance of crit which is a insane stat for warriors and rets, but a complete piece of shit stat for DKs. However, because there simply are no other trinkets, DKs can argue no problem that they need it as much as all the other strength classes. If an item has a socket and is 10+ item levels higher, basically _anyone_ can argue that it technically is an upgrade no matter what dumpster secondary stats it has.

Be responsible, communicate with your other plate users before an item drops and make sure the right people get the right items first.
    Last edited by Strafir; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.

Look for these "crap" items with sockets. That is a guaranteed upgrade as soon as you throw in +50 crit gem (as far as 670 vs. 685). Warforged doesn't matter that much right now (disregarding weapons), but the socket is absurdly good for Fury when we're forced to use these items that are poorly-itemized for us.

There will be much less woe when it comes to upgrades when we're swimming in crit from BRF gear. Just gotta ride it out until then.
    Hitbox Stream (Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs from 7-10 PM EST): Fatalfuror

Character Profile

Well, it really depends on which piece has a socket, fatal. The difference in stats between a heroic and mythic ring is far less then the difference in stats between a heroic and mythic chest, for instance.

As for sims, assuming a correctly written module (which the warrior ones are) they will always be accurate, which isn't to say they are always right.

They will be correct for the parameters put into them, but it's up to the person using the tool to make sure it's being used correctly.
    Last edited by Darkfriend; Yesterday at 06:04 PM.

Stood in the Fire NoobistTV-Metro's Avatar
    I've not seen an entire log that has EVER been right.
    There are way too many assumptions, and what I find laughable is its meant to be "ideals" yet when you examine players in the game, they often do just as much if not more than the Sim suggests they should.

I suppose the only real worth of sims is to see how each class compares to each other, but even then there are so many differences in play style that the assumptions pile up to insurmountable factors.
    Media Manager at NoobistTV - A network that focuses on growing our Partners over everything else.
    Learn more at http://noobist.tv/partnership/

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I've not seen an entire log that has EVER been right.
    There are way too many assumptions, and what I find laughable is its meant to be "ideals" yet when you examine players in the game, they often do just as much if not more than the Sim suggests they should.

I suppose the only real worth of sims is to see how each class compares to each other, but even then there are so many differences in play style that the assumptions pile up to insurmountable factors.
    Sims show an average DPS spread, with a factored variance. For my character as fury, that was 14%.

That means on rare occasions I could do +/- 14% of my average sim, on a fight matching the parameters simmed.

That's why you can do more DPS than your sim is.

Essentially, the reason you find sims inaccurate is because you are using them wrong. It's a case of PEBCAK.

Now, sims are incredibly detailed and editable. You *could* write a module with parameters to exactly, or very closely model a fight to absolutely min/max. It's just generally not needed.
    Last edited by Darkfriend; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    That means on rare occasions I could do +/- 14% of my average sim, on a fight matching the parameters simmed.
    And that variance depends on the number of iterations you run; it is of course entirely possible to get a parse that is far above even that if you get extraordinarily lucky.

You could have a 5 minute fight where 80% of your attacks crit and you'd do ridiculous DPS. Now is that actually going to happen? Probably not, but it is possible, just incredibly unlikely.

Feral Druid Maintainer of SimC // Moderator at Fluid Druid forums
    Pawkets' Armory
    // Pawkets' Pro Raiders // <Forgotten Aspects>