Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why do people defend Cata?

I wonder what happened to the memory of some posters who are satisfied with cata.

1. Cata was rushed. Remember patch 4.01? No, it was not Cata but it set the stage for Cata. 4.01 was essentially a alpha/beta test unleashed on Blizzard's customers. Remember proto drakes not flapping, dying and resurrecting with 1 health at the spirit healer, being transported to random locations, sound not matching to action, weird sounds, lockups, many game breaking bugs etc. 4.01 was a massive bug infested junk. I am honestly surprised 900k did not quit right then and there. 4.03 did fix those bugs but they should have never rushed it out of ptr onto main playing population prematurely which they did. You know Dec 7 launch date for Cata had everything to do with Christmas shopping. The lure and anticipation of Cata is what kept people I guess.

2. I won't hold overcrowing at launch against Blizzard that is to be expected. However, Cataclysm started off on the wrong foot. Remember needing to get to the dungeon to be able to queue for it in dungeon finder? Bad idea, subsequently rolled back. Remember archeology sites in Vashjir? Bad idea, rolled back. Remember inscription requiring limited quantitty reagents sold only at one vendor with a respawn time of several hours? Bad idea, rolled back.(I think leatherworking may have had a similar problem). Cataclysm presented individuals with an annoying attitude. It started treating players like newbs regardless of their experience. The idea of "harder dungeons" was a miserable failure for the simple reason that dungeons have no business being quasi raids when you are dealing with pugs. Take beauty from Blackrock caverns on heroic. Originally it had 3 dogs that had to be cced. If your random group did not have the proper amount of CCs guess what? SOL. That is bad design. Similar argument holds for shadowfang keep first boss which used to have 2 heals that had to be interrupted. Not enough interrupts in group? SOL. The poor design of dungeons subsequently led to x3 luck of the draw, although Blizzard continued its mistakes with ZA/ZG. Jindo with 3 melee is a problem. In Wrath, a random heroic gave you emblems of frost regardless of whether it was HOR heroic or Utgarde Pinnacle heroic while ZA/ZG heroic give twice the valor of other heroics. The end result is that people see the same 2 dungeons for months to get valor capped. Bad design.

3. Bad protaganist. When deathwing dies, it is not gonna be "too soon" it is gonna be "we hardly knew ye" Deathwing is a moronic villain. He torched Stormwind and the world and retreated to "an undisclosed location". As his former mate and key underlings are systematically slaughtered he is nowhere to be seen. At least with Lich King it was later revealed that he planned to get the very best "heroes" killed and raised as scourge so it did not bother him that his underlings fell. Lich King had an overarching presence in just about every quest/dungeon and zone. Deathwing does not.

4 Recycling of content/uninspiring raids. BWD is BWL/Onyxia's Lair was only a setback Chogall showed his ugly head and Al'Akir was Ala who? Firelands was a shameless recylcing of Ragnaros. So we gonna get to deathwing raid with no character development for deathwing whatsoever. This expansion should have been called, World of Warcraft : The Greatness of Thrall instead of Cataclysm. I don't see the epicness of flying on his back, he is not aeonaxx after all. As a side note, firehawks are recycled proto drakes, fire raven lord is lame and fire mount u get from molten front is not terribly original either.

To summarize, I don't see the epicness of this expansion, it is shallow in lore, with bad villain development, uninspiring raids, and bad dungeon design. Wrath had some epic raids not just epic boss encounters. Regardless of how hard Ragnaros on heroic is, Firelands as a Raid does not hold candle to ICC. If an expansion lasts shorter than wrath and I paid the same or greater money, I get screwed.

P.S Blizzard is getting desperate. Remember it has to be accountable to shareholders and in the "what have you done for me lately" people will not be pleased if WoW continues to bleed customers. Transmogrification/4.3 being the largest patch ever is a stunt to preempt SWTOR.

Oh look, this thread again.

I'm having fun this expansion, personally.

Because people refuse to let their 8 year old game die.

When the only reason most people are playing is because "I play for my friends", you know the game has gone to shit.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    I wonder what happened to the memory of some posters who are satisfied with cata.

1. Cata was rushed. Remember patch 4.01? No, it was not Cata but it set the stage for Cata. 4.01 was essentially a alpha/beta test unleashed on Blizzard's customers. Remember proto drakes not flapping, dying and resurrecting with 1 health at the spirit healer, being transported to random locations, sound not matching to action, weird sounds, lockups, many game breaking bugs etc. 4.01 was a massive bug infested junk. I am honestly surprised 900k did not quit right then and there. 4.03 did fix those bugs but they should have never rushed it out of ptr onto main playing population prematurely which they did. You know Dec 7 launch date for Cata had everything to do with Christmas shopping. The lure and anticipation of Cata is what kept people I guess.

2. I won't hold overcrowing at launch against Blizzard that is to be expected. However, Cataclysm started off on the wrong foot. Remember needing to get to the dungeon to be able to queue for it in dungeon finder? Bad idea, subsequently rolled back. Remember archeology sites in Vashjir? Bad idea, rolled back. Remember inscription requiring limited quantitty reagents sold only at one vendor with a respawn time of several hours? Bad idea, rolled back.(I think leatherworking may have had a similar problem). Cataclysm presented individuals with an annoying attitude. It started treating players like newbs regardless of their experience. The idea of "harder dungeons" was a miserable failure for the simple reason that dungeons have no business being quasi raids when you are dealing with pugs. Take beauty from Blackrock caverns on heroic. Originally it had 3 dogs that had to be cced. If your random group did not have the proper amount of CCs guess what? SOL. That is bad design. Similar argument holds for shadowfang keep first boss which used to have 2 heals that had to be interrupted. Not enough interrupts in group? SOL. The poor design of dungeons subsequently led to x3 luck of the draw, although Blizzard continued its mistakes with ZA/ZG. Jindo with 3 melee is a problem. In Wrath, a random heroic gave you emblems of frost regardless of whether it was HOR heroic or Utgarde Pinnacle heroic while ZA/ZG heroic give twice the valor of other heroics. The end result is that people see the same 2 dungeons for months to get valor capped. Bad design.

3. Bad protaganist. When deathwing dies, it is not gonna be "too soon" it is gonna be "we hardly knew ye" Deathwing is a moronic villain. He torched Stormwind and the world and retreated to "an undisclosed location". As his former mate and key underlings are systematically slaughtered he is nowhere to be seen. At least with Lich King it was later revealed that he planned to get the very best "heroes" killed and raised as scourge so it did not bother him that his underlings fell. Lich King had an overarching presence in just about every quest/dungeon and zone. Deathwing does not.

4 Recycling of content/uninspiring raids. BWD is BWL/Onyxia's Lair was only a setback Chogall showed his ugly head and Al'Akir was Ala who? Firelands was a shameless recylcing of Ragnaros. So we gonna get to deathwing raid with no character development for deathwing whatsoever. This expansion should have been called, World of Warcraft : The Greatness of Thrall instead of Cataclysm. I don't see the epicness of flying on his back, he is not aeonaxx after all. As a side note, firehawks are recycled proto drakes, fire raven lord is lame and fire mount u get from molten front is not terribly original either.

To summarize, I don't see the epicness of this expansion, it is shallow in lore, with bad villain development, uninspiring raids, and bad dungeon design. Wrath had some epic raids not just epic boss encounters. Regardless of how hard Ragnaros on heroic is, Firelands as a Raid does not hold candle to ICC. If an expansion lasts shorter than wrath and I paid the same or greater money, I get screwed.

P.S Blizzard is getting desperate. Remember it has to be accountable to shareholders and in the "what have you done for me lately" people will not be pleased if WoW continues to bleed customers. Transmogrification/4.3 being the largest patch ever is a stunt to preempt SWTOR.
    All of this is nothing but your personal opinion. Nothing else, as for the "deathwing who? Ala'kir who? Cho'gall who?", that's your own lack of lore and knowledge, get a move on. Also Firelands is not supposed to hold a candle to ICC, seing as ICC was the last "real" raid of Wotlk, where as Firelands IS NOT the final raid of Cata.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Why do people attack Cata? Maybe they have different opinions...

Personally I love Cataclysm. The old world changes have given me more content to explore than in Wrath. I can stare at the water for hours. And the end game content is fun. Just started Firelands dailies, and my gosh there's a significant amount of new stuff there, they didn't just slap it onto the original zone, there's a new mini-zone inside the portal.

Cata has done good. The only thing I'm sad about is that they want shorter expansions rather than expansions we can settle into.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    one mans opinion isn't the same as the rest of the community

i'm enjoying this expansion, i liked the dungeons at release needed a bit tactic and were harder than we were used to. i liked the raids.
    ofc there were things i didn't enjoy as much but nothing holdes me from just not do it at all

You have opened my eyes. I've never seen a thread like this before.

Also you are totally right. I'm pretty sure you never complained in Wrath. It was such a good expansion. None ever complained about it.

Also yes, SWTOR will be perfect, fit everyone's tastes, balanced, and will have free ice cream. I expect it to fix the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    Because people refuse to let their 8 year old game die.

When the only reason most people are playing is because "I play for my friends", you know the game has gone to shit.
    I still enjoy this game, and whats worse me playing a game you don't like or you trying to convince me not to play the game I like. You are clearly done with wow play something else find new friends in a different game
    Hi Sephurik

Because fanboys are fanboys. It bothers them to their core that anybody might actually enjoy the game in its current state less than they do, as if it devalues their connection to the game and their loyalty to Blizzard. It is what it is. Some people realize it's possible for a game to have faults, others don't.

Definition of OPINION
    a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : approval, esteem
    a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view
    a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

Story-wise, wotlk was better, character progression as well. But cata is better beyond the shadow of a doubt gameplay-wise.

I actually really enjoy Cata. I dont know what all the people have to complain about it all the time. I agree the story around the lich king took me more into it but thats fine with me...

The new zones are very nice - I have leveled through them with 8 of my chars already.
    The dungeons were very nice (especially the heroic 5mans before the nerf)
    The raids are good, with 12 bosses in the first tier .... 7 in the second.

Re-vamp of Azeroth - just awesome.

In my opinion Cata is a great expansion so far... Also when looking at the upcoming features this even underlines my statement.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still enjoying this expansion OP, don't know what else to tell you

Quote Originally Posted by paloalto View Post
    Because fanboys are fanboys. It bothers them to their core that anybody might actually enjoy the game in its current state less than they do, as if it devalues their connection to the game and their loyalty to Blizzard. It is what it is. Some people realize it's possible for a game to have faults, others don't.
    You do understand that is retarded right? Because someone enjoys something you don't they are a fanboy?
    Hi Sephurik

I am sure some people rather enjoy cata, each xpac really has appealed to different people.

TBC = the hardcore, both pve and pvp, raids were difficult, hell raiding changed so much it broke apart many guilds, going from 40m to 10m to 25m was not easy. Plus arena for the people who enjoyed pvp more then pve.

WotLK = the casual raider, no major changes to pvp, besides making games quick. pvp was almost closer to an FPS style game if you played the correct classes though so I could see where that appeals to some.

Cata = Most of all cata really would appeal to the alt-o-holic's out there. Appealing again to a more hard core raider than WotLK, though I would venture to say not quite so much as TBC in normals, but probably more so in heroic's. PVP they tried to find that middle ground with RBG's, but blizzard has really failed at pvp in cata.

Personally my only complaints with cata is the xpac seems small for a non'alt'er, and it feels like they have been ignoring pvp.
    Last edited by nikat; 2011-08-18 at 02:09 PM.

We defend it because it is within our right and our opinions to do so. Tbh, many people ask for things, and then are like "WTF BLIZZ!?!" when it happens.

I'd type out a long response as to why I think so, yadda, yadda, but I'm tired of responding to trolls and flamers. I'm gonna a go play PS3.

And on that note, *drops a smoke bomb and fades back into the shadows.*

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    You do understand that is retarded right? Because someone enjoys something you don't they are a fanboy?
    1. I never said that.

2. I enjoy the current WoW.

Deleted
    stopped reading at 2, If you love easy stuff play other games

Quote Originally Posted by paloalto View Post
    Because I can't like the expansion without being a fanboy or disliking some things. I see your logic there. Thanks for sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Deathwing didn't retreat to some "unknown" lair.. he is flying around killing people every day....

2. Just because Deathwing didn't show up in every 3 quest... look at the world around you? It's in ruins because of him? How much more build up do you want? Every time I enter Orgrimmar I am reminded of Deathwing's destruction.

3. Ala who? This entire expansion is based on the elemental lords. Al'akir is built up in some quests when you enter Uldum.

4. Ragnaros was never defeated, and everyone knew that even in vanilla... everyone knew that one day Rag would make a return, we were waiting for when, and firelands was the perfect time.

5. The return of Nefarian and Onyxia made sense, since we were dealing with Deathwing and Sinestra.... if you had the ability to bring your children back from the dead during a mass invasion (especially knowing these 2 children are 2 of the most destructive dragons in history), you would do the same. It sucks that we killed Onyxia like 17 times to date, but ya, it made sense in this expansion.