Deleted

Price per percent.

A new gaming rig is looming ahead for me and I'm asking myself that question, just how much am I willing to pay for an upgrade?

For example, the difference in FPS between stock i3 2100 and i5 2500k is around 15% (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=288). The difference in cost is around 130-150 euro (Around $200). Overclocking the i5 broadens the margins by around another 3%, so let's say 20% total difference.

I'm most likely going to take the i5, just because low FPS dips annoy me to the point of desk gnawing. But I'm curious to know your opinion, I consider 20% difference to be worth the extra cash. It'll be a combo gaming and work computer, getting my degree, well one of them this year:P. So while it's a 20% difference in gaming, give or take for margins of error, it'll be a smooth experience for long hours at the desk.

I consider 20% upgrade worth around $200, that's $10 per percent increase, obviously this is not a linear figure:P.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    A new gaming rig is looming ahead for me and I'm asking myself that question, just how much am I willing to pay for an upgrade?

For example, the difference in FPS between stock i3 2100 and i5 2500k is around 15% (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=288). The difference in cost is around 130-150 euro (Around $200). Overclocking the i5 broadens the margins by around another 3%, so let's say 20% total difference.

I'm most likely going to take the i5, just because low FPS dips annoy me to the point of desk gnawing. But I'm curious to know your opinion, I consider 20% difference to be worth the extra cash. It'll be a combo gaming and work computer, getting my degree, well one of them this year:P. So while it's a 20% difference in gaming, give or take for margins of error, it'll be a smooth experience for long hours at the desk.

I consider 20% upgrade worth around $200, that's $10 per percent increase, obviously this is not a linear figure:P.
    The i5 is worth the upgrade price, for sure. There's no doubt about it. I would have one if it was in my budget when I got this rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many factors to just say "if i change one thing, the fps will be this"

i3 Vs i5. - i5 all the way. Shoudlnt even be a comparison.

Then you have motherboards. You want to consider what you want to do with it? Do you even plan to x-fire or SLI? no? get a cheaper board (MSI, Gigabyte - do not get biostar). Planning to SLI? Get a better board (MSI GD-65 or higher, ASUS, GIGABYTE U5)

Aftermarket cooling - you will need a fan, the one that comes with i5 is shit.

Video cards - TOO MANY. I recomment 560Ti. I have it. I love it. It is a workhorse for a fraction of the price.

HDD vs. SSD. How much money do you have? For wow? SSD do hardly anything. loads the game 2 seconds faster. Thats about it. For others? you may consider it, but they are expensive.

Dont think about it as price per improvement. Think about what you want, what you need. Then go from there.

STOCK 2100 and STOCK 2500[/U][/I][/B] You can easily OC a 2500k to 4.5ghz on a cheaper (<$30) cooler. The i3 2100 can OC at all. Also, where is your data, if you edit the WTF txt doc then you can optimize for 4 cores, HT y/n, dual core, HT y/n anything at all.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    Too many factors to just say "if i change one thing, the fps will be this"

i3 Vs i5. - i5 all the way. Shoudlnt even be a comparison.

Then you have motherboards. You want to consider what you want to do with it? Do you even plan to x-fire or SLI? no? get a cheaper board (MSI, Gigabyte - do not get biostar). Planning to SLI? Get a better board (MSI GD-65 or higher, ASUS, GIGABYTE U5)

Aftermarket cooling - you will need a fan, the one that comes with i5 is shit.

Video cards - TOO MANY. I recomment 560Ti. I have it. I love it. It is a workhorse for a fraction of the price.

HDD vs. SSD. How much money do you have? For wow? SSD do hardly anything. loads the game 2 seconds faster. Thats about it. For others? you may consider it, but they are expensive.

Dont think about it as price per improvement. Think about what you want, what you need. Then go from there.
    This wasn't really an ask for advice, more me asking how much you consider your money to be worth.

And stop describing my rig......it's creeping me out.

---------- Post added 2011-08-18 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    STOCK 2100 and STOCK 2500[/U][/I][/B] You can easily OC a 2500k to 4.5ghz on a cheaper (<$30) cooler. The i3 2100 can OC at all. Also, where is your data, if you edit the WTF txt doc then you can optimize for 4 cores, HT y/n, dual core, HT y/n anything at all.
    Go to the link in the OP, scroll down until you see the gaming section, do some rough, rough math. Again, in my OP I state it's mostly guesses as each chip is different etc etc etc.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely if it is within the budget go with the i5. I was faced with the same decision but at the time the i5 just wasn't within the budget. Opted to go with a 27" LCD instead of the i5.