"Go Shadow..." the voices say

Ok, i'm a pretty average player and i just enjoy playing the game for fun, and have each class over 50 (get bored easy lol)

Anyway, i'm back on my priest who i have always played as Disc all the way up through levelling and as dps, not healing.

Everyone in my guild, and in instances keep telling me to go shadow though, so eventually i gave in and tried it out, and i suck at it!

I've read guides left right and center and still just cannot get it right.

Here's what i do

I target a mob (i tend to do one at a time) and i have Inner Fire, Power Word Fortitude and Inner Focus up.

Then i hit these spells, in this order

Vampiric Touch - Shadow word: Pain - Devouring Plague - Mind Blast - Mind Flay

Then i try running away from the enemy and they tend to die about 5 seconds or so later.

I'm obviously doing something wrong and i know that, but i just want some help so i can play shadow properly, or i guess i'll just go back to Disc and keep getting moaned at, and learn how to use the 'Ignore'

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Trix09 View Post
    Then i hit these spells, in this order

Vampiric Touch - Shadow word: Pain - Devouring Plague - Mind Blast - Mind Flay

Then i try running away from the enemy and they tend to die about 5 seconds or so later.
    Erm, are you talking about soloing enemies for quests and such? If so, you'll want to use Mind Spike x3, Mind Blast, (DP/Mind Flay if needed), the SW: Death (if mob is under 25% health) and that should do them in pretty quickly.

you should be reading kilee's guide to playing shadow, which is stickied right in these forums

Instead of running away, throw in a couple SWeaths when the mob is under 25%, which should come quick with all of your dots up.

Make sure you are running with 10/0/31 and glyph SW:P, SW and MF.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're max level, I find Mind Spike x3 > Mind Blast > Shadow Word: Death x2 to be more effective then DoTs. It usually dies after the Mind Blast. =)
    Almost Epic - Short Stories and Musings of nearly epic proportions.

If you're talking about 5-mans, target the mob that the tank is attacking. You can do this, by asking the tank to mark skull (at least), or by targeting tank, then typing /focus in your chat window. You should hardly ever draw a mob's aggro, as a Shadow Priest, but, if you do, just make sure you hit Fade, and you'll be fine. I know the only time I draw aggro, is when I attack way early, and get a huge crit.

As for what you're doing wrong, we probably need a little more than your stock rotation...say, what situation, what are your guildies saying your doing badly (other than trying to dps in healer spec), and what level your priest is, would help us...

But, yeah, Kilee's guide is a good place to scope out things you need to know...as with most guides and advice, though, it's mostly going to be from a level 85 perspective.

Good luck!

I generally find that as long as I'm only getting beaten on by one mob at a time (assuming you're questing), my VE outheals the damage I'm taking. If I'm taking on something that hits hard enough that that isn't true, I pop PW:Shield before the pull.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow priest is the top DPS spec in the game right now. Discipline is not viable as a dps spec at all. Kilee's guide in this thread is a miracle though if you're trying to get your rotation down pat.
    ^infraction

in dungeons target tank, cast mind sear 100 times during run, enjoy your 20k dps

Are these 85 instances? Or are you talking about playing solo? Either way killing a mob in 5 seconds is pretty good. Why do you think you are doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Trix09 View Post
    I target a mob (i tend to do one at a time) and i have Inner Fire, Power Word Fortitude and Inner Focus up.
    Inner Focus as Shadow? Am I the only one who finds it weird?

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Inner Focus as Shadow? Am I the only one who finds it weird?
    I would assume it was a mistake as we used to love having Inner Focus, but can't have it anymore