Deleted

selling my pc which erase setting is best

which one should i use as i want to clear my entire harddrive of data as im selling my current pc. the choices i have are.

US DOD (3 passes)
    A high security 3 pass sanitize method, adheres to the U.S. Department of Defense standards (DOD 5220.22-M). The method is implemented as described below: 1. Randomly generated character A; 2. Complement of character A; 3. Randomly generated data stream.
    security level: high
    stops software recovery unerase: yes
    stops hardware recovery: yes
    works with compressed drives: yes

US DOD Enhanced (7 passes)
    A high security (and slower) 7 pass sanitize method, adheres to the U.S. Department of Defense standards (DOD 5220.22-M). The method is implemented as described below: 1. Randomly generated character A; 2. Complement of character A; 3. Randomly generated data stream 4. Randomly generated character B; 5. Randomly generated character C; 6. Complement of character C; 7. Randomly generated data stream

B.schneier's algorithm (7 passes)

Brouce Schneier offers seven pass overwriting algorithm in his Applied Cryptography book. First pass overwrites all disk data with 0xFF patterns, second pass with 0x00 patterns, and then five times with a cryptographically secure pseudo-random sequence.

3+7+3 beyond DOD standards

A secure (but slower) 13 pass wipe method, exceeding the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) standards. The first 3 passes are with random patterns, the next 7 passes are the standard passes from the DoD standard and the last 3 passes are with random patterns. The last pass is checked. It can be used to wipe data on compressed drives.

stop hardware recovery (gutmann)
    A maximum security (but slow) 35 pass sanitize method, based on Peter Gutmann's paper "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory". The method is designed to erase data regardless of the disk raw encoding. It effectively removes the magnetic remnants from disk, preventing hardware recovery tools from restoring any data. NOTE: This method stops both software and hardware recovery tools.

The best option you have is to buy a new HDD and put it in there. If you don't plan on doing this, 3 passes should he enough. 35 passes are to ensure people in white suits that get paid 1000s of dollars per hour can't read you data, after manually looking at the platters.

I'm no expert but if it was me I would use the second most secure method you mentioned; 3+7+3 beyond DOD standards, even though it is most probably over the top.

Just curious how come you don't keep your current hard drive for your new computer and give the buyer a new hard drive?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    The best option you have is to buy a new HDD and put it in there. If you don't plan on doing this, 3 passes should he enough. 35 passes are to ensure people in white suits that get paid 1000s of dollars per hour can't read you data, after manually looking at the platters.
    this is the best way even if you end up buying a drive cheaper or lower capacity then already in there
    as doing secure erases just further wears down already old equipment.
    I know you could do the secure erase but do you really wanna sell them something that could break faster just because you were a little paranoid

15+ Year Old Account
    The hammer is my favorite method. Or a drill, that works well too.

Honestly, 2-3 passes is more than enough for selling a computer that was just for personal use. If you're that worried about it just buy a new hard drive.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right