Laptop

Thanks all
    Last edited by Skullflower; 2012-07-30 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullflower View Post
    I'm looking to buy a laptop sometime this weekend for college that I plan on using heavily throughout the day for school and light gaming (WoW, LoL, SC2). I looked around a bit at some laptops from Dell, HP, Thinkpad, and even Macbooks but I'm still at a lost on which to choose. I really like the look and feel of Macbooks and I have worked with an iMac for my job in the past however I'm not too sure if it will run those games efficiently. I would really appreciate some suggestions and/or any advice you have. Thanks!
    Macbooks are still overpriced despite how amazing they look, and how well i like their operating system comparative to windows, they run games fine, the issue is more with the higher price point for relatively similar systems, that and the selection of games that macs can run without going bootcamp is relatively small. Expect to spend 600-800 on a laptop that's more than capable for what you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215106
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246094
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220868

should do fine, ask the computer experts which is the best, i only understand the very basics of computing.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-08-19 at 03:41 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230089

And for some reason I can't find the laptop I just bought I suppose is only on the canadian version of newegg. Lenovo/Asus > Acer imho.

Get one of the first 2 that xile linked.. they both have one of the best cpu's for laptops, and good gpu's... the lenovo one has a slightly better gpu but it's not much difference. Just compare their other features and pick which you like best, either would work great for all those games.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    I'm in no way trying to hijack this thread, but I was on route to make just about the exact same post. (Looking for a laptop for my university that could also be used to play WoW, SWTOR, etc)
    The laptops you posted seem quite interesting indeed. I haven't been able to find out if the Levano uses DDR3 or GDDR5 memory though. (Although that might be on my part, I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject) One thing for me however is that I'm located in Europe, so Newegg doesn't really work for me. However, I will be visiting the states for about a week in October, so I could postpone until then and find some sort of replacement in the meantime.. I suppose that, with the vastly superior amount of laptops available and with the prices so much lower, it would be wise for me to wait until then?

Deleted
    DDR3 is a requirement in order to even operate a machine from the past two years. Modern processors memory controller cannot handle DDR2 or 1.

I'd also not put any concern in whether the GPU uses GDDR5 or not; you want to make sure the actual chip itself is up to speed. (And yes the 6570M does use GDDR5)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-19 at 02:30 PM.

Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7272 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop

Just got this from Amazon...really performs well (better than my desktop frankly) and has an amazing picture and is super powerful. I've had great luck with all types of Toshiba laptops and this has been no exception.

I don't know a hell of a lot about spec and such - I've always bought laptops to be honest, and I understand their convenience, but I have never managed to find one (within my price range) that has been able to handle WoW sufficiently. I've have always had to run on the lowest settings for the last 6 years, and even then ended up with 4fps in 25 mans. I know it isn't a laptop, but the boyf recently bought me the Cataclysm Hogger PC from Overclockers and it is brilliant. Everything runs fine on ultra, including 25 mans. Maybe worth a thought as it is pretty good and not overly expensive
    Troll: "Trololol OMG ur a guy, grls dont play wow, u must b a man!"
    Me: "Well, you seem quite keen on me being a man and not a woman... What does that say about you?"
    Works every time...

~ <3 ~ Mirain / Private / Thunderhorn EU ~ <3 ~

It really depends on ur budget but...

ASUS G74SX

Republic of Gamers laptop

upgradable to ridiculous stats depending on ur money situation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    DDR3 is a requirement in order to even operate a machine from the past two years. Modern processors memory controller cannot handle DDR2 or 1.

I'd also not put any concern in whether the GPU uses GDDR5 or not; you want to make sure the actual chip itself is up to speed. (And yes the 6570M does use GDDR5)
    Alright, that sets that straight (My gaming pc still uses DDR2, shame on me I guess, but it still eats anything I throw at it)
    It seems like the *only* differences between the first and the second laptop are that the cheaper lenovo uses a GPU that is slightly better than the other one, but that the Acer has a bigger HDD and longer battery runtime. (That last one might be a dealbreaker for uni I suppose..) Both of the HDD's run at 5400 RPM though, is it me or is that relatively slow nowadays? My harddrive (A samsung spinpoint F1) runs at 7200RPM but I wouldn't exactly call it insanely fast.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes a 7200rpm is basicly standard or SSD actually (little less on laptops) and it would help with loading certain things. However the performance increase is hardly noticeable imo not to mention it uses more power and creates more heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesjr View Post
    yes a 7200rpm is basicly standard or SSD actually (little less on laptops) and it would help with loading certain things. However the performance increase is hardly noticeable imo not to mention it uses more power and creates more heat.
    If possible, find a laptop that can have 2 hard drives. Get your main data hard drive and a small SSD for your most used programs. (OS, WoW, SWTOR) 60-120g should be good and won't run you too much money. It's well worth it.

---------- Post added 2011-08-19 at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Madcaptn View Post
    The laptop doesn't look as good as a Mac, but boy is that thing a powerhouse. And it's a great price... I'd get that one.

-1080p res screen
    -8g 1333mhz ram
    -1.5gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Only thing I would add if possible is a 60-120gb SSD, but still. That is a great buy!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I should have clarified that with a SSD you will notice the upgrade... 7200 comapred to 5400, ever so slighty.