• Yes dude, you're good to go!

4 66.67%
  • I'd change couple of things...

2 33.33%
  • Dumb thing to do.

0 0%

Cool First build - Final check!

Hi guys,

I'd like you to help me with my first build I've came up with a set-up I'll post in a second and I'd like to hear your opinion, whether it's a go, or no go. My budget is around 1000eur. and the computer must be able to run wow smoothly at ultra and operate some CAD on 27 inch Full-HD.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, 3.30GHz, 6MB, LGA1155, 32nm, 95W, BOX
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO Rev.3.0, P67, DDR3-1333, 3x PCIe x16 ,SATA3, GLAN, CF, mATX
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB, DIMM,1600MHz, DDR3,CL9,XMP,Non-ECC,with Heatsink (blue)
    VGA: MSI NVIDIA GF 560 GTX-TI, 1GB GDDR5 (256 bit), PCI-E, 2xDual-DVI, miniHDMI
    HDD: WD Caviar Black, 3.5'', 1TB, SATA/600, 7200RPM, 64MB cache
    SSD: SSD 60GB 2,5'', 3,5'' Vertex2 E 285/275 MB/s TRIM 50k IOPs
    Drive: Super AllWrite DVD+/-RW 24x, SATA
    Case: Cooler Master obudowa komputerowa HAF 912 Plus czarna ( bez zasilacza )
    Power: Corsair zasilacz TX650 V2 80 PLUS Bronze, ATX 650W, EU version
    Cooler: Thermaltake Frio

I'd also like to OC a little bit everything I can ( saying a little bit cause I've never done it before so even 10% more efficiency will be satisfing for me ).

Thank you for your opinions.

Graphics card is bit low for running more demanding 3D games at 2560x1600 resolution, WoW will work fine though. Could up it to GTX570 or Radeon6970, or change motherboard to full size instead of mATX to make sure you can add second graphics card easier if you feel like needing one later on.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    personally i'd suggest searching for a quieter psu, i have the tx650 and it is far and away the noisiest component in my system, not massively noisy, but far more than i'd prfer it to be, and if i'd known it was as noisy as it is i'd have picked another one

and swap the HDD to a samsung spinpoint, same size/speed, cheaper (and more reliable too i believe)

unless you're clocking the ram, then you might be just as well off with some without a heatsink, which will no doubt be cheaper, and may allow you to bump the gfx card up to a 570

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    personally i'd suggest searching for a quieter psu, i have the tx650 and it is far and away the noisiest component in my system, not massively noisy, but far more than i'd prfer it to be, and if i'd known it was as noisy as it is i'd have picked another one

and swap the HDD to a samsung spinpoint, same size/speed, cheaper (and more reliable too i believe)

unless you're clocking the ram, then you might be just as well off with some without a heatsink, which will no doubt be cheaper, and may allow you to bump the gfx card up to a 570
    What psu would you suggest then ? What about the heatsink ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently got to play around a little with the UEFI on a Asus P8P67-M PRO and noticed that it lacked plenty of the overclocking options that the non-M (aka ATX sized) has.

For example, load line calibration is either on or off, you can't adjust the level of it. Also you can't control CPU PLL voltage.

MSI motherbord with MSI graphics card = dynamic overclocking sweetness...

I've just finished a pretty similar build and the thing I would of changed with mine would of been to buy RAM without the heatsink as the Thermaltake Frio is HUGE and I had to move my RAM over to another channel which wasn't a problem but it just niggled at me.

10+ Year Old Account
    i myself only have experience first hand with that psu, so couldn't specifically recommend one, but check for reviews of other psus in that price / watt range and see what they say about noise

the frio seems a decent heatsink (though i was on about the ram heatsinks), though just about anyone on this forum seems to recommend the more expensive noctua, specially if you're overclocking by a fair margin (i myself use the be quiet darkrock advanced heatsink, clocked my cpu to 5.04 ghz at 68-70 degrees)

As I said, I won't be doing a lot of OC, just a simple one. I'd like the computer to be fairly quiet without risking any damage done by the temperature there might be inside the case and I'd like the system to live fairly long. Should I still go for the Thermalfrio or is there something else to be considered ? What should I do with ram then, since Undieturd said he had some problems with it ?

The Corsair Vengeance series have a "LP" series that feature very small heatsinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I recently got to play around a little with the UEFI on a Asus P8P67-M PRO and noticed that it lacked plenty of the overclocking options that the non-M (aka ATX sized) has.

For example, load line calibration is either on or off, you can't adjust the level of it. Also you can't control CPU PLL voltage.
    Do you think I should change the motherboard to the bigger ( ATX ) version ? Is it even necessary if I only want a small OC, and prolly won't be getting a 2nd video card to double it up with my first one?

Holy shit 5.04ghz at 68-70 C? is that under Prime load? Your gaming or you got a hell off a chip because the Darkrock isnt that great off an Air cooler. (What volts are your running
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!