Deleted

MSI GX 660R FPS issues

Hello everyone,

After a few hours of searching around on the internet, I decided to post my problem here,maybe one of you can help me.
    I've recetnly bought the MSI GX660R gaming laptop, with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-740qm (4 x 1,73GHz, 6MB Cache);
    15.6" FULL HD (1920x1080);
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz;
    500 GB SATA 5400rpm;
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5;

Few notes:
    I don't run things in the background that are not needed,
    I don't visit sites that could infect my pc,
    I keep my drivers up to date at all times.

My mate got a not so strong notebook, with 3gigs of memory,an I5 processor,and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M. My problem is that when we're in sw, He has around 28-30 FPS in Sw TD,while i only have around 20 ish on the same settings he has(Fair setting)Also,I'm experiencing massive fps drops during 10 man raids,while the other notebook I've mentioned has no problems at all. I think it's not normal for a notebook like this to perform so bad,but maybe I'm wrong. I'd be very happy if someone could help me with this issue

Thanks in advance

Well 1 what is your mates CPU? Sandy bridge?. Whats his resolution? There is a huge diff between Fair settings and high/ultra settings.

About you. Is shadow at max? Drop it to nothing its 1 not needed 2 It eats resources. Does the Laptop got a button to change the GPU's? Else check the catalyst Driver if its set to Max performance (also check the power saving options).

(using a 430m +5850 (1600x900) here and i can run wow at high 25man (no shadow) and 10 at ultra (no shadow) aa 1x af 1x) You cpu is a fair bit stronger (2,93 clock mine only goes to 2,26) So you should be able to atleast run those settings at 40-60Fps.

Else it could be a new driver who doesnt work maybe drop to a old one. Else its a internal problem.

I Guess its the part where you trying to play at max setting (16af 8aa full shadow) a Mobile cpu/gpu can't run that atleast at that price point (there are gtx 580m in sli and a i7 2920xm who can). In og even high end pc sometimes aren't running at 60fps because those amounts off players do stress every system. There are just to much things that need to be rendered at the time.
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-08-19 at 11:57 AM.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply Aminozuur,
    He has an intel i5 dual core M 460,and is not sb as far as I know. He plays wow with 1360x768(wide).
    I'm aware that there is a huge difference in fair and ultra,but as I stated, we tried it on the same settings(including resolution,tho it wasn't the exact same,because I don't have that resolution available,so i set it to 1400x1050 ).After getting the low fps I mentioned,I didn't even try ultra settings.I'm not using shadows,and Power Play is enabled at CCC.
    Last edited by mmoc2f2c515b5d; 2011-08-19 at 12:20 PM.

Well there are only 3(4) things which i can be

1: Heat- Guess it won't be this one because its a rather new Laptop (But you never know maybe the package was crap and somehow you got dust into the system screw it open (you wont kill your warrenty) check the fans.
    2: Driver issue - I Don't have a problem with the currently drivers but 1. Reinstall(Yes maybe you did it alrdy) 2. Install a older version
    3: Internal fuck( Aka something is broken)- Try running 3dmark and google the scores with some on the Inet if you got a huge difference it could be that something doesnt work like it should.
    4: Does it only happen in Wow? Try running the repair (Save you addon folder). I could be that only wow has a problem with you system altough this almost never the thing because its a 'older' laptop with hardware which has proven to run good.

Most likely it has something to do with the parts.

P.s I asume your not just playing on your battery and then loading it again. Because some notebooks throttle the speed down when they are running off the battery. Also sometimes there are some programms working in the background who aren't open (again a kinda silly one) but open Task manager and look if something(Virus programms are doing this often) is running aka uses more then 5-10. ( But i guess you did that alrdy)
    Last edited by Aminozuur; 2011-08-19 at 01:51 PM.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Deleted
    The fans are perfectly okay
    The drivers were reinstalled
    3dmark does not have info on my i7 cpu, but it gives 2068 on an I5,and 2102 on my I7,the graphics cards are the same.
    Didn't try WoW repair yet, I will tho.
    No,I'm not running from battery , didn't found a trace of any virus

Deleted
    You've definally got something not working in there.

I've got a GX660R and it runs everything I've got no problem, Crysis on high settings, Rift on high-ultra.

If it's still in warranty send it back and get it replaced.

Wifi? Wired? Run a speedtest.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies so far,

Pyre:
    I can play Crysis warhead on maximum settings,so I'm guessing it's a WoW issue. Also,do you use the eco or turbo buttons,or do the games run like that without them?Does it worth to enable ATI overdrive,or is it too much of a risk compared to the benefits?

malevolant:
    I have no problems with my internet: 5ms ping , 40mb down and 28 up.