Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ragnaros normal 10man healing

I have a quick question for all you 10man guilds out there. How many healers do you use to defeat Normal Ragnaros? I have read some guids that say they use 3 while others use 2. We run with a resto druid, disc priest and a resto sham. Thanks for your time.

1 or 2 healers should be more then enough
    N

It really depends on the quality of your raid. Some guilds find they need 3 healers to keep up with the tank damage/aoe damage, while others find that 2 will be fine. It depends on how many traps/seeds you get(more dps = less) and stuff like that. Both 2 and 3 healers are viable; you need to determine which is more optimal for your raid with your players.

Use your Resto Druid and your Shaman and have your Priest go Shadow and win, But Shaman Spirit link totem and Tranq in P2. If you can get through P2 then P3 should be easy as shit.

Most normal guilds should use 3.

Guilds doing Heroic, who want to show off, or have excellent healers, can use 2. You could use 1 healer for normal, but there's no real reason to other than to show off =).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Most normal guilds should use 3.

Guilds doing Heroic, who want to show off, or have excellent healers, can use 2. You could use 1 healer for normal, but there's no real reason to other than to show off =).
    ^^ This, nothing more to add.

Deleted
    When my guild does Raggy 10man normal, we have 1 resto druid (that heals the aoe dmg in phase 1) 1 resto shammy and a holy pala. The shammy + pala is healing the tanks

2, holy Paladin and restoration Shaman. The most healing intensive phase is probably P2.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Deleted
    We three heal it, but experimented with 2, phases 1 and 3 are a breeze on the healing front but we found ourselves losing people in P2, if you have Shamans/Druids/Priests dpsing who can help chuck out some Healing Rains etc, then you'd have no trouble. In my personal opinion, 3 healing it just buys a few more mistakes especially when you're learning the encounter

Except for the predictable spike damage that is part of the encounter mechanics (lava traps, seeds), all the damage is 100% avoidable. There's no reason, at all, to run 3 healers; run at most 2, possibly even 1 if your raid has enough awareness.

Put another not-so-nice way: if you need 3 healers, your raiders are very very bad.

More DPS will in fact make healing easier, as it greatly shortens P2.

Edit: Keep the shaman and druid healing, make the priest go shadow. That will greatly aid in nuking the adds down during P2.
    Last edited by Stevoman; 2011-08-19 at 06:00 PM.

3 heal. Paladin, priest, druid. Each of us pulling anywhere from 15-20k HPS each. 10 man, normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferiae View Post
    We three heal it, but experimented with 2, phases 1 and 3 are a breeze on the healing front but we found ourselves losing people in P2, if you have Shamans/Druids/Priests dpsing who can help chuck out some Healing Rains etc, then you'd have no trouble. In my personal opinion, 3 healing it just buys a few more mistakes especially when you're learning the encounter
    This is very true, but if you are having trouble in Phase 3 being too long (i.e too many meatballs) consider using two healers as having an extra dps for Phase 3 might get you the kill.

Deleted
    2 healers is what u need.. go with the resto shamy as healer for sure and then pick between the priest and the druid.. both of them can go dps but i think u'll get more advantage if druid stay resto. we are doing it with 2 healers since the first kill, and no we dont do it for show-off. there is no reason to go with 3, since u can do it with 2 and win raid time lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    3 heal. Paladin, priest, druid. Each of us pulling anywhere from 15-20k HPS each. 10 man, normal.
    If you are truly each pulling that much healing, you're raid is doing it wrong. Should only need about 10k HPS from each healer in 10 man normal. Unless you are trying to inflate your meters, tell your raid to stop standing in stuff.

We downed him the night we switched from three to two healers and haven't looked back, since. Actually, at this point, we're only three-healing HShannox, Beth'tilac, and Majordomo... which is actually quite sad because I'm our "third" healer and I hate Shadow!! D: Oh well, gotta' make sacrifices for progression!

If your raiders are doing their jobs correctly (ie. not getting hit by unnecessary damage and using their own self-healing/defensive cooldowns if they DO), then P2 is the only healing-intensive phase. We usually have a Boomkin Tranq or both our Spriests Hymn after one of the seeds phases to trivialize this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

I would say use 3 until you down him a few times. While you're still working to kill him the first time people are pretty likely to get hit by engulfing flames and a few lava waves. After you kill it a few times or if you notice that no one is taking any extra damage you might try 2. Just rotate cds for each exploding seeds and there should be no real risk of people dying even with 2 healers in p2 unless they failed and stood in flames. Kinda depends on current dps too. i mean if you have everyone alive for p3 and you're still getting like 3-4 meteors then you should definitely throw in an extra dps.

Deleted
    We haven't killed him yet, but we use 3 healers and everything seems to go well up to now. Though, I think our Disc Priest + me (Resto Druid) could 2-heal it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have high DPS and have not killed it I would go with 3 healers while you learn the encounter. If you struggle with DPS then go with 2 heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Except for the predictable spike damage that is part of the encounter mechanics (lava traps, seeds), all the damage is 100% avoidable. There's no reason, at all, to run 3 healers; run at most 2, possibly even 1 if your raid has enough awareness.

Put another not-so-nice way: if you need 3 healers, your raiders are very very bad.

More DPS will in fact make healing easier, as it greatly shortens P2.

Edit: Keep the shaman and druid healing, make the priest go shadow. That will greatly aid in nuking the adds down during P2.
    Find me a guild that 1 heals it. You're gonna have a hard time finding many if any at all. The first time my guild killed it, we 3 healed it, but ever since, we've been 2 healing it. With 2 healers, you have enough dps to kill Rag before things get out of control in p3. Make sure to pop raid cd's every time the seeds explode, especially the 2nd set of seeds when the hammer is coming down right as they are exploding because it is difficult to stack then.

Either one should be just fine. If we ever run short on time, we'll break into 10s for Ragnaros. Usually, we'll run 3 for safety's sake, but we've run 2 as well. With 2, we were running resto shaman/disc priest and they had to bust their asses to stay on top of healing, but it was very doable. That, and we had 1 balance and 1 spriest hymn. Used bubble, bubble wall, and spirit link on seed explosions.

Summed up, if you make good use of raid cooldowns, 2 healing shouldn't be an issue. 3 gives the healers a little safety net and a little less coordination is necessary since you can just heal through it all.

Edit: As for 1 healing which a few people have suggested, that sounds a little bit ridiculous. Possible? Probably. A useful response for someone progressing on normal Rag? Of course not. -_-