Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Over clocking CPU help?

Hey folks. I've been trying to do this and I can't figure it out. I know you're suppose to go to your BIOS and change a bunch of stuff (I know what I'm suppose to change) however I can't figure out hot to get my BIOS to let me change the stuff. When I've seen other people they have a bunch of options in there BIOS in order to allow them to change stuff. In mine, there are only a few options, none of them allowing me to change voltage, mem speed etc.

Question is, do you have to download something to allow you to change this stuff? My last PC, I could just go into the BIOS and change stuff. On my new PC I have none of these options.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you post your mobo and processor?

What motherboard and cpu do you have?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Duh sorry, should've posted that.

i7-860 @2.8Ghz

Intel H57 Express

My knowledge about hardware concerning CPU"s, Ram, and GPU's is pretty good. However, since I've fried a few Mobos in the past(5+years ago), I don't know much about them.
    my SWTOR referal link:

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    intel h57 is a chipset, do you have the actual model of your motherboard? It's quite likely your motherboard is locked however.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    intel h57 is a chipset, do you have the actual model of your motherboard? It's quite likely your motherboard is locked however.
    Hmmm, how do I find that? I have this PC

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop

Sorry, I'm almost a 'tard when it comes to this stuff, but I'm trying to learn =).

*EDIT

Hey guys, thanks for the help, but I've just read that the Dell Mobo that comes with this is locked. Is there a way to unlock it or just have to buy a new Mobo?
    Last edited by select20; 2011-08-19 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added info
    my SWTOR referal link:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Hmmm, how do I find that? I have this PC

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop

Sorry, I'm almost a 'tard when it comes to this stuff, but I'm trying to learn =).
    If it's a prebuilt from a company(such as Dell or Gateway) you can almost be certain the motherboard is locked. And you would find the motherboard model directly on the board itself.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    With a Dell computer, you typically can't reach the required settings to overclock. Dell uses a proprietary BIOS that hides overclocking options.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    With a Dell computer, you typically can't reach the required settings to overclock. Dell uses a proprietary BIOS that hides overclocking options.
    Indeed I second this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks for the help and info. Learn something new everyday huh?

But yeah, the Mobo is indeed locked. My ASUS PC I bought last year wasn't locked and a buddy of mine overclocked it for me. I bought this PC as a second fr the house (tired of the wife kicking me off while I was gaming lol).

Maybe I'll look into getting a new Mobo installed.

Thanks again.
    my SWTOR referal link:

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thanks for the help and info. Learn something new everyday huh?

But yeah, the Mobo is indeed locked. My ASUS PC I bought last year wasn't locked and a buddy of mine overclocked it for me. I bought this PC as a second fr the house (tired of the wife kicking me off while I was gaming lol).

Maybe I'll look into getting a new Mobo installed.

Thanks again.
    To be honest, unless you get a good deal on a motherboard it may not be worth the investment.

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, unless you get a good deal on a motherboard it may not be worth the investment.
    Oh yeah? I had never upgraded a MObo, sucessfully anyways. I've one GPU's, CPU's and Ram alot and they always seemed to net good gains. Wasn't sure if a Mobo would be the same. Since I cant overclock it, maybe I'll just make sure next time I buy a PC, I get one where the Mobo won't be locked.
    my SWTOR referal link:

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I mean, you'll be changing the motherboard, and all you'll really be getting is the ability to overclock out of it. You won't be able to get any better processors unless for some odd reason they go back to socket 1156. I just wouldn't find it that worth it unless the motherboard went out and you had to get a new one.

if you can't figure this i guess your computer skills are not that much amazing. and if this is true, i suggest to avoid overclocking anything unless you have money to waste on a new pc.

anyway as others said not all motherboards allow overclocking

Yeah, I mean, you'll be changing the motherboard, and all you'll really be getting is the ability to overclock out of it. You won't be able to get any better processors unless for some odd reason they go back to socket 1156. I just wouldn't find it that worth it unless the motherboard went out and you had to get a new one.
    The other problem is they might use a proprietary motherboard form factor, if so, he can't change the board anyways. Not without a new case anyways.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    The other problem is they might use a proprietary motherboard form factor, if so, he can't change the board anyways. Not without a new case anyways.
    that too

too short

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuyin View Post
    if you can't figure this i guess your computer skills are not that much amazing. and if this is true, i suggest to avoid overclocking anything unless you have money to waste on a new pc.

anyway as others said not all motherboards allow overclocking
    No, yeah I admit, my computer hardware skills only go as far as changing out RAM, CPU"s, and GPU's. To me those are like bolt-ons to a car. Changing out the exhaust, intake or rims. I've never actually done any work to the Mobo because I fried a 3 a few years ago just trying to install one on my own. I've just had some time lately so i thought I would try and learn it.
    my SWTOR referal link:

10+ Year Old Account
    No, yeah I admit, my computer hardware skills only go as far as changing out RAM, CPU"s, and GPU's. To me those are like bolt-ons to a car. Changing out the exhaust, intake or rims. I've never actually done any work to the Mobo because I fried a 3 a few years ago just trying to install one on my own. I've just had some time lately so i thought I would try and learn it.
    It's not really that complicated to be honest, if you're willing to do the research and give it a shot more power to you. Just don't feed the trolls.

You should also be aware that overclocks can be unstable. I had my 2600k 3.4 overclocked to 4.6, with ideal hardware setup for just that too, but every other day caused a Blue Screen, in the end I got tired of it and went back to standard settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmist View Post
    You should also be aware that overclocks can be unstable. I had my 2600k 3.4 overclocked to 4.6, with ideal hardware setup for just that too, but every other day caused a Blue Screen, in the end I got tired of it and went back to standard settings.
    Not very persistent were you :P