10+ Year Old Account

Need Cool Android Apps.

Just got my first smartphone, an Android. Anyone have suggestions on some apps/widgets I should know about? thanks!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    Just got my first smartphone, an Android. Anyone have suggestions on some apps/widgets I should know about? thanks!
    Handsent SMS is pretty awesome. Makes text messaging much easier. Also, since you play WoW (assumption since you're on a WoW forum), you can download the free WoW Armory app. Hope it helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    where the miners are from (not the actual mine!)
    The WoW Armory app will run if your phone can run it. I have a Samsung i5500 phone and it doesn't run (at least it says so in the Android Market, but I guess there can be secondary places where you can download that app). What you can always run in an Android phone and that is mandatory for WoW players to have is the Battle.net Authenticator.

If you want other apps, I can recommend you FxCamera (amazing camera effects), Advanced Task Killer, Battery Dr to Save Battery and games like Ninjump, Paper Toss and the obvious Angry Birds.
    Last edited by kasuturo; 2011-08-20 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add more apps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuturo View Post
    Advanced Task Killer
    Do not touch any task killer app unless you are going to turn off auto kill and even then only have it if you have a rubbish phone and you are too lazy to go Settings > Applications > Running services.

Deleted
    Angry Birds, Battle.net Authenticator, BankDroid, Kamikaze Race, Fruit Ninja, iRunner, Battery Timer, Robot Unicorn Attack, Nyan Cat, Air Control Light.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    GameLoft's Android Games. They have so many popular knock offs of games its amazing and the best part is they play just like the original. Starfront is Starcraft etc. Here is a recent review of 25 of the most popular Android apps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like paintjoy

I got a snes emulator too, but the controls are a bit awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    Do not touch any task killer app unless you are going to turn off auto kill and even then only have it if you have a rubbish phone and you are too lazy to go Settings > Applications > Running services.
    Pretty much this. It has a nasty habit of causing database issues on some phones.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Whatsapp and Words with Friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsandwich732 View Post
    Whatsapp and Words with Friends.
    YES! I love it already I played it on FB.

I'll reiterate:

NEVER EVER GET A TASK KILLER. IF A PERSON SAYS YOU NEED IT HE IS A MORON. DO NOT LISTEN TO SAID PERSON.

There we go! Now that it's firm in your mind, I'll explain why:

1.) The concept of clearing memory because it increases speed is ridiculous. Most smartphones have 512MB of RAM, and the newer ones are coming out with 768 and even 1GB of RAM. Your average application will allocate, at most, 50MB of RAM. Facebook takes up 25MB. Assuming the UI takes up half (it doesn't) you would need 10 Facebook apps loaded into RAM until you could not open another Facebook app if you're running a year-old device. Up that number to 30 if you have a new phone. Unless you're testing just how big your memory is, you will never run out of space. Services (SMS, for example) don't even take up megabytes of space.

2.) "It increases battery life" is a big, fat inaccuracy. Battery life is drained by active applications because they use CPU processes, and doing that requires battery life. If an app is loaded into memory and not in use, it does not use any CPU processes. There is no battery drain with apps that aren't running but are loaded into memory. In fact, if you have a task killer auto-killing applications at time intervals you're going to waste more battery by having that application take up CPU processes by killing apps, and said apps activating again so they can load into memory. Ironically, a setting such as this will decrease your battery life.

3.) If it kills a service that's crucial for another service or application to work, you need to manually start that service again or restart your phone. Bad bananas.

Ahem. Oh, apps! Right!

- Adobe Reader (invaluable)
    - Netflix
    - Google Books
    - Google Sky Map
    - Any bank app
    - Maps
    - Angry Birds
    - Juicedefender
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-08-21 at 03:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I'll reiterate:

NEVER EVER GET A TASK KILLER. IF A PERSON SAYS YOU NEED IT HE IS A MORON. DO NOT LISTEN TO SAID PERSON.
    Read you loud and clear :P But, I'm actually very glad you made the clarification/explanation.