Thread: Dragon Age 2

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dragon Age 2

So it's on sale today for £10, I only played it when it first came out on the 360 and found myself getting annoyed with the combat, having to spam attack/mobs spawning in stupid places but i've seen that they've released a few patches since then that have suppodely made combat "more smooth and less spammy".

Is this the case? It's the pc version so it will definitely be more tactical but has the combat been made smoother and less annoying? my main gripe was the fact that mobs spawned behind casters nearly every single time and just ganked them down.

well I think i have played it after patch, I am not sure but for me most of the combat felt really smooth to me and pretty fun, And this game is simply amazing.

They added an auto attack feature. For the mobs spawning behind casters, it's probably rogues. They stealth up and usually go for the character with the least amount of armor.

Deleted
    Only 10 quid? I think i'll get one then. I had the same problem as you, I played origins on the xbox and wasn't impressed, but I reckon I can stretch to a tenner to try DA2 on the PC

Edit: where is it on sale?

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    Can someone confirm there is more combat in DA2 than in Origins?

Origins combat was virtually non-existent and consisted of watching people talk, then talk some more, then talk some more.

Im reluctant to try DA2 for the simple fact i hate watching people talk in games for longer than 15 freaking hours in a single cutscene. Shame, because i really enjoyed the combat system.........when it happened.
    I'd say there is a lot more combat in DA2. Though I didn't notice a lack of it in DAO.

Origins combat was virtually non-existent and consisted of watching people talk, then talk some more, then talk some more.

Im reluctant to try DA2 for the simple fact i hate watching people talk in games for longer than 15 freaking hours in a single cutscene. Shame, because i really enjoyed the combat system.........when it happened.
    Yes, there is a lot more combat. In fact there are so many enemys waves that it gets annoying.

On any difficulty other than the highest it isn't a real problem.
    Get to legendary though and you'll start hitting encounters with 6 waves of 12+ units at the start of Act 1

Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games I have ever had the displeasure of playing.

It's not worth downloading even if it's free.

If you think there wasn't a lot of combat in DAO, we weren't playing the same game. It had some really soul crushing trash clears. DA2 probably has even more mobs in absolute terms, but the balance is such you can make whole packs explode in a cloud of red mist with one or two moves, so on the whole the combat goes by much quicker. If you have aggro problems, you need to set up more intelligent tactics on your NPCs, or you didn't spec them into any defensive cooldowns or aggro management abilities.

Deleted
    Right thanks guys i think i'll give it another try, it's here btw http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/home/

There is more combat, but there's also a lot more talking and character development. They cut back on the massive world aspect of DAO, refined combat quite a bit, trimmed the user interface and inventory/talents/skills and added a lot more character development. Your character also talks, too, so that's fun. It's an entirely different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Propane View Post
    Dragon Age 2 is one of the worst games I have ever had the displeasure of playing.

It's not worth downloading even if it's free.
    This is the truth. The story line is horrible and in no way relevant to the Gray Warden story arc of the first game, the combat, while much more visceral, is in no way tactical and is based completely off of spamming abilities till the other guys are dead. However, the most disappointing thing about the game overall were the dungeons. Six default zones for dungeons. Horrible game, Dragon Age : Origins was one of the best tacticle rpgs of all time, and had one of the most interesting and engaging story lines I've ever played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablofan View Post
    This is the truth. The story line is horrible and in no way relevant to the Gray Warden story arc of the first game, the combat, while much more visceral, is in no way tactical and is based completely off of spamming abilities till the other guys are dead. However, the most disappointing thing about the game overall were the dungeons. Six default zones for dungeons. Horrible game, Dragon Age : Origins was one of the best tacticle rpgs of all time, and had one of the most interesting and engaging story lines I've ever played.
    I wouldnt go as far as to say the game was terrible. I will agree the story was crap, but the game itself is pretty decent, just not comparable to the first one

Yes didnt like it also. Though for £10 is ok i guess. If you can spend some more i would suggest the Witcher 2 though was way better all over board.

I just played da2 1 time and never touched it again personally. It wasnt horrible just way less compared to what you expect.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2011-08-20 at 05:28 PM.

DA2 is a medicore RPG, but for 10£ it's defiantly worth it if you're a fan of RPGs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Yes didnt like it also. Though for £10 is ok i guess. If you can spend some more i would suggest the Witcher 2 though was way better all over board.
    I'd love to go for the witcher 2 instead but i highly doubt my comp could handle it there's no demo so i can't even test, having to wait it out until they release it on the 360

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    I'd love to go for the witcher 2 instead but i highly doubt my comp could handle it there's no demo so i can't even test, having to wait it out until they release it on the 360
    What are your specs? You can always play at lower resolutions.

Deleted
    I'm not even sure how to check, i'm useless with anything technical on the comp, all i know is that i have to run rift on low settings and i've heard witcher 2 has some crazy impressive graphics going on.

Dunno if i could handle playing it on low graphics when i can just wait a few months and grab it for the 360.