Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is our Holy Paladin Playing Right?

Hi there, I just wanted to ask all the holy paladins out there if our Paladin is playing right
    He seems to fall behind on the healing and go oom a lot.
    On WoL i notice that he has used Flash of Light quite frequently and as a resto druid i'm not sure if he should be using a fast inefficient heal like this.

Any Feedback is much appreciated

World of Logs link - http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...6w/details/16/

Armory Link - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Romat/advanced

In my opinion, he is not playing right at all. He did not use ONE divine light which can be considered our best and most efficient heal. Flash of light sucks up mana quickly and gives quick neccessary heals however it should only be used if he has to. Honestly the only instance i see Flash of Light working at all is on Baleroc when the tank gets hit with decimation blade. Also, another reason why he could have mana issues is because he isn't using judgement on cooldown which gives him about 3.5k mana per strke. He may have only used it three times on your shannox kill which lasted roughly 7 minutes... The cooldown on judgment is 10 seconds 0.o. However, i still see the main problem being he is using Flash of Light as a main healing spell which he shouldn't ever do. Swap that out with Divine Light and his HPS should increase dramatically with his mana being not so low.
    Last edited by Espada 009; 2011-08-20 at 05:07 PM.

He never used Divine Light, he judge once per fight, he is using Flash of Light.

As a Paladin you should keep Judgement on CD all the time, keep Holy Shock on CD as often as possible and use Holy Light / Divine Light as "fillers".

After checking his Armory he use only 2 JC gems, he use Int/mastery instead of Int/haste. His Reforge is really strange, tell him he should never reforge out of haste or spirit, since that is our most usefull stats.

Hope it was to any help.

First of all...Why is he reforging for mastery, crit and spirit? That's the reason he's spamming FoL. His other heals are too slow in comparison, but no. FoL is not an inefficient anymore. Back to his gear though... He should really only be reforging for haste. Other than than, he shouldn't only be spamming FoL, as it causes us to go oom quickly. It should only be used during heavy damage phases, and should really only be spammed if you can manage your mana well. I also noticed that his spec is a bit wonky... Why would you only put one point into Last Word, and put ANY points into Paragon of Virtue? All in all, from what I've seen. No, I don't think he's playing right.

also missing an enchant on cloak

Deleted
    By spamming FoL it's pretty much safe to say.... no he does not do it correctly.

Pretty much goes like this spam holy light use holy shock to get holy power on mediocre incoming damage.

High damage is more in the lines of Divine light same as above with holy shock WoG here and there depending on 10/25 and raid positioning otherwise LoD.

Also it's very wise to use judgment as often as possible in situations where there is a lot of usage of Divine Light in order to counter the mana usage of it.

FoL is simply put a emergency heal and should only be used in order to save someone that is very low on hp and about to die, mindless spamming of this will simply result in a oom paladin standing idle watching fellow raiders die.

He reforges wrongly and what I can only assume randomly seing as I can't find a pattern, his specc is wrong (if only slightly), he uses FoL, he doesn't use judgement on CD, one or 2 of his enchants are wrong and he only has one yellow gem (which is wrong aswell).

Suggested improvements:
    - tell him to reforge in this order Spirit>haste>Crit>>>>>Mastery. Haste goes over spirit once he has a decent amount (He'll need a bit more for firelands progression than he is currently at)
    - He should check EJ for a better specc that he finds suits his playstyle most.
    - Tell him to use holy shock on CD, holy light spam during lower dmg phases and use DL on high dmg phases or with speed of light proccs. If there is any aoe dmg, he can/should use Holy Radiance on CD. WoG>LoD if he can hit 4 or more players, but either should probably only be used with 3 holy power.
    - Judgement has to, has to, has to be used on CD if nobody is about to die, it's too much mana to ignore.
    - He should also check the EJ thread to find the best enchants though anything with haste or intellect is fine.
    - He should stack intellect gems while making sure to have 2 reckless (intellect/haste) gems and go for the set bonus if it is 20intellect or more. Purified (intellect/spirit) in all blue gem slots regardless of setbonus can also be viable if he needs the spirit.

That is about all in a nutshell, seing as I didn't really want to get into a long theorycrafting discussion. If he is too lazy, send him to www.askmrrobot.com for reforges / enchants but he really should read the EJ thread.
    Still waiting for competitive PvP to not be a trainwreck...

Now you see, I don't actually play a holy paladin but through the power of 10 minutes on EJ I'll try and provide some criticism:

From his armory...
    1) His cape is not enchanted
    2) He's missing 2 Chimaera's eyes
    3) His spec looks decent though I don't think you need 2/2 Enlightened Judgements AND 2/2 Improved Judgement
    4) He's reforging mostly into crit which from what I understand is incorrect. I know during BOT/BWD haste was king of the secondary stats though mastery might also be competitive with the recent buff.

From WorldofLogs...
    1) He has 13.5% up time on Judgements of the Pure
    He needs to better manage keeping that buff up - 9% haste is a lot
    2) In the expression editor, he judged a total of 6 times during all boss fights.
    He needs to judge more! That's what keeps his haste buff up and it will also proc his seal of insight as the judgement counts as an actual melee hit.
    3) Has flash of light as his main heal with little to no Divine Light.
    I don't know if things have changed in FL but when I ran with a holy paladin during BOT/BWD I know they used Divine Light for heavy throughput not flash of light
    4) He's decent in his cooldown usage though I suppose theres always room for improvement.
    During all boss fights used:
    Divine Favor + Avenging Wrath ≈11-13 times
    Aura Master 3 times
    Hand of Sacrifice 7 times
    Divine Plea 13 times
    Last edited by Calories; 2011-08-20 at 05:28 PM.

Well according to the log for that one encounter he only used Judgement 7 times, which if you're having mana problems should probably be up more for the 9% haste buff and the mana regen. Especially since I think I saw the fight took place over 8 minutes? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also yes Flash of Light shouldn't be spammed if you can't get up with it, also I think I saw that he dropped consecration o.O Why did he? According to his gearing...he should probably consider going for a 2 or 4 piece bonus especially since they're so easy. Also others have pointed out his reforging. I'm going to assume he's using an addon for this and doesn't know stat weights since he reforged spirit off pieces for mastery...and then later reforged mastery off pieces for spirit? That's not productive.
    Last edited by Recondition; 2011-08-20 at 05:24 PM.

Deleted
    No, his spec is pretty bad.

Eternal Glory 0/2 Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by SexObject View Post

Not well thought out, I run without Eternal Glory and go for the speed increase / HP on CC in the ret tree (can't find any specc atm, on phone). It really doesn't make much of a difference since I'm going to run 25 man starting next week which means I'll be close to never using WoG as LoD will hit at least 5players 90% of the time. Also, the speed talent lets me get the haste enchants for my boots which I find more valuable than eternal glory. His specc is bad, but that isn't the reason.
    Still waiting for competitive PvP to not be a trainwreck...

Reforging away from mastery on one item and to mastery on another item -.- (you should always reforge away from it)
    Using cheap enchants on bracers/chest.
    Using Jar of Ancient Remedies (without using the "on use") when it's one of the worst trinkets you can use as a holy paladin.

40% uptime on Judgements of the Pure (should be 100%)
    15% of healing done with FoL (should be 0-1% except for baleroc)
    0% of healing done with DL (should be 10-25%)
    Not using Holy Power (WoG/LoD) often enough (only 11 uses of it with 54+ HP gained, should be 15 at the very least)
    No Hand spells used (Hand of Sacrificed should be used almost on cd)
    Not using Divine Favor
    Not using Avenging Wrath often enough
    Not using Aura Mastery often enough (1 use on Beth'Tilac)

To sum it up he has got no clue what he's doing.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2011-08-20 at 05:33 PM.

Everything said above plus look at his gems, he has a meta that requires at least 2 yellow gems or an orange or green and he only has 1 yellow so he doesnt get the meta benefit. For most of his slots he chose gems that gave him socket bonus so maybe you should tell him he doesnt need that.
    Get him to:
    - enchant his cloak
    - re-enchant his bracers
    - fix his gems
    - re-forge properly
    - Spam judgement not FoL

Also if he wants to upgrade his neck from a 346 blue I suggest he does a few of the avengers of hyjal quests so that he can get into the molten front and get a 365 epic that will replace it nicely as soon as you are allowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by SexObject View Post

In 4.1. Eternal Glory was bad.
    But yeah he has got 40 yard judgement range (which is overkill to the max) without even using it => could easily squeeze out 2 points to get eternal glory.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroguard View Post
    Everything said above plus look at his gems, he has a meta that requires at least 2 yellow gems or an orange or green and he only has 1 yellow so he doesnt get the meta benefit. For most of his slots he chose gems that gave him socket bonus so maybe you should tell him he doesnt need that.
    He does have 2 yellow gems (but without activating the only yellow slot he has >_>)

Deleted
    He is gemming and reforging totally wrong (int+mastery gems and reforging haste and spirit for mastery and crit when he should do opposite).
    Wrong enchant on bracers, weapon.
    I would take eternal glory from prot tree too instead of 2/2 Enlightened Judgements and 2/2 Improved Judgement. I would too change Glyph of divinity or Glyph of Divine Plea->Glyph of Divine Protection.

And as stated, more Judgements!

Everyone already said everything about exactly how and why your paladin is doing it wrong. The thing that always concerns me the most when I see an armory/wol like that on an app is that this person would know all of this if they bothered to spend a whole 10-15 minutes researching their own class. There is a great post stickied at the top of this forum, plenty of information on EJ and the wow forums... point is, the information isn't hard to find if you bother to look for it, and it takes the smallest amount of effort possible to apply it. I think it's better to find yourself a healer that doesn't need their guildies to do their homework for them. Unless of course it's a friend/family and this IS the research. :P
    Last edited by Taygete; 2011-08-20 at 05:48 PM.

Deleted
    I'd tell him to stop being shit or /gkick. Honestly about everything he does is wrong, it's like he doesn't even care.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    In 4.1. Eternal Glory was bad.
    But yeah he has got 40 yard judgement range (which is overkill to the max) without even using it => could easily squeeze out 2 points to get eternal glory.

---------- Post added 2011-08-20 at 05:31 PM ----------

He does have 2 yellow gems (but without activating the only yellow slot he has >_>)
    He DOESNT have 2 yellow gems, he has 1 orange gem and he needs 2 to activate that meta gem, so basically he doesnt get its bonus. Im not sure why he diddnt gem that way but he has =(

Yeah his spec is off, gemming is off, usage of heals in off, reforges is off, and enchants are wrong. It's time to open recruitment for holy pallys.