Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunter; Soloing old stuff Compilation (Update in progress)

Updatez and stuffz
    Last edited by Asrialol; 2013-01-14 at 02:48 PM.
    Hi

Pretty cool thread ya got here....wish to see others make them for other classes. I'll get my wife to check this out cuz she was asking what was soloable by hunters and has been doing a little here and there.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reserving This. Wotlk raids will be posted later today / tomorrow, as my fingers and head hurts :P

Post any Wotlk raid bosses you've killed using the formula at the top of the first post.

Silly forums wont let me reserve posts if I'm the previous poster, it just edits the other post.. How silly. Anyone know what max character limit is in a post?
    Last edited by Asrialol; 2011-08-20 at 05:42 PM.
    Hi

Anub'Rekhan 25, Sapphiron 25 and Yogg-Saron 10 easy mode in Ulduar were solo'd by a hunter in my guild.

Yogg-Saron basically demands that you get icecrown room though.

My wife is currently trying to solo Onyxia and is getting her to just over 40%....have you tried messing with that fight much? Adds seem to be the main issue....we have duo'd it before and I think it just made it harder since we got the big adds with the whelps.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a1derful1 View Post
    My wife is currently trying to solo Onyxia and is getting her to just over 40%....have you tried messing with that fight much? Adds seem to be the main issue....we have duo'd it before and I think it just made it harder since we got the big adds with the whelps.
    Haven't tried it on my Hunter. 10man I assume? Will go give it a shot.

Edit, yeah, it's possible. Pretty difficult though, as sometimes you cant bug out the big adds. Check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPO2pjCktxQ
    Last edited by Asrialol; 2011-08-20 at 10:57 PM.
    Hi

Malygos, archavon, koralon and onyxia are all also doable as a hunter. Archavon and koralon are very easy. Koralon is all about having enough dps to beat the soft enrage and dodging fire and on archavon you just run away from him when he grabs your pet and feign death when he releases your pet again. I've done a few tries on emalon too but my pet's aoe threat is just way too weak and I have all 4 adds on me unless I keep chain-MDing multishots 24/7 (which isn't enough to beat the enrage).

Malygos' enrage timer, 10mins, is still somewhat tough unless you get lucky with the sparks or your gear and skills are decent. You will always want to have feign death available after the vortex. Vortex dismisses your pet -> aggro reset for it. Try not to FD too early though, otherwise your pet gets oneshot with its 6k health - I usually take a hit or two before FDing. During a vortex just check where the newest spark is and kill it soon after but do not run straight to the old sparks after a vortex. If you do, you'll drag malygos straight on top of them and then you can't hit him properly thus losing a lot of dps which is quite important here.

If you get 2 sparks on top of each other, that's obviously a good spot to use cooldowns. If you're not that lucky, just save them for when malygos reaches 50%. All the damage you do in p1 helps you in p3. In p3 your abilities do nothing, so spend everything you might have in p2 (if your cooldowns are available again because you got lucky with sparks earlier in p1 or something). At the start of phase 2, just pick a lord and MD it to your pet and send your pet after it. Feign death to make all the casters ignore you (as well as the second lord). Use any sparks that might remain obviously. If you're really having trouble with the enrage timer, to shave a few seconds you can let your pet handle the second lord and just start dpsing the casters already. Your pet won't reach the casters, so it'll be a dps loss having your pet just standing there doing nothing. Once you're done with the casters, finish the last lord and p3 begins.

Phase 3 is the easy part. Stack the hot to 5 (default keybind 3) and keep refreshing it until malygos becomes attackable. Stay at a resonable distance and start damaging. 121123 to get a few fast stacks of the dot and the refresh the hot. After that all you do is just spam 1123 1123 1123 to keep the dot and the hot both up. Keep your eyes on malygos and when he sort of "nods", start strafing to whichever direction you prefer. You shouldn't take any damage from the lightning clouds.

I'd rate it as 5-6 on the OP's scale. The first time takes probably a few tries to learn but after that it should be easy to repeat and oneshot every week.

Quote Originally Posted by a1derful1 View Post
    I'll just skip p1 and p3 since those should be pretty straightforward. Try to make p2 as short as possible. I usually pop my cooldowns around 67% and just dps onyxia as much as possible getting her to 50ish% before the whelps reach me.

When the whelps do reach me, I feign death (and my pet is still where it was tanking p1, at the back of the room) and the whelps start flying back to where they came from. I wait until I can't see them anymore and go back to DPSing onyxia. MD the next set of whelps to your pet, switch it to defensive while still keeping your pet somewhere near the back of the room and move close to the entrance almost instantly after that. You probably want to throw a mend pet up as well - the whelps still do quite a bit of damage. When the big add at the entrance aggros you, just feign death and it starts walking back. Wait a few seconds until you think you won't aggro it anymore. It should not aggro your pet if your pet is enough far away but if it does just get up, MD and start dpsing it to get it down. Once it's dealt with, whichever way, DPS the whelps if there's a lot of them to help your pet stay alive, or just nuke onyxia if there isn't. Keep watching the entrance and whenever the big adds come just move closer to the entrance and feign death when they aggro you. You should reach p3 before the next set of whelps spawn.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

Razorgore is still easily soloable by hunters btw, just did it 20 minutes ago and had no issues whatsoever. People reporting getting teleported or having eggs respawn, most likely aren't doing it right, cause I'm just using the disengage tactic I've always been using and haven't noticed anything different to it. Just make sure you move all the way back into the wall when going up there and also make sure you have aggro when you do it, both times.

Onyxia I would probably rate as very easy as well, but I guess once you have your tactics set, you will know exactly how to do it each time. No need to FD-bug adds and such things, just get a proper AoE spec for the whelps.

A few others not mentioned:

Instance: Naxxramas 10
    Boss Name: Grand Widow Faerlina
    Spec + pet used: Standard MM raid spec with turtle
    Tactic / Description of fight: You will need to do this fight like it is supposed to be done, for the most part at least. MD everything to your pet and unload on the boss. Kill off adds to dispell the enrage on the boss, else your pet WILL get killed, even with CD's up, at least with 3-4 adds up as well. Move out of rain of fire (which will always be on you, so you will have to move a lot). It's probably a good idea to get the adds pretty low on health at the start, so you can kill them off quickly when needed.
    Difficulty: (1 to 10, see below for difficulty description): 2

Boss Name: Sapphiron
    Spec + pet used: Standard MM raid spec with turtle
    Tactic / Description of fight: Don't stand in stuff you arent supposed to (like Blizzard), and just do the fight like normal without overaggroing your pet. Chimera shot will keep you up.
    Difficulty: (1 to 10, see below for difficulty description): 1

Boss Name: Kel'Thuzad
    Spec + pet used: BM spec with turtle tank
    Tactic / Description of fight: Phase 1 is extremely easy. Kill off the skeletons and flying mobs, while you MD all the abo's to your pet. The tricky part is the phase transition, you will want to position your pet behind the throne with Kel, so he cannot Ice Tomb you (this will kill you no matter what since its % based), but also in LoS of you, so you can mend pet. This will probably take a while to get right, because there is some pathing issues back there.
    You will need to get trough this whole phase dpsing with Kill Command only, which will obviously take a while, hence the BM spec for extra pet dmg. I'm not 100% on this but I think you will need to do around 5-6k dps with pet only.
    When the 2 adds spawn, and both heading for you, feign death and they will despawn. When its closing in on the point where they spawn, I turn off growl on my pet, because sometimes if the pet growled and got a silverback heal, appereantly this put him on their threatlist and when you feign they go for him instead (and kills it, the damage from 2 adds and Kel seemed unhealable).
    Difficulty: (1 to 10, see below for difficulty description): 3 (It's all about positioning your pet in the phase transition. The rest is just a snooze spamming KC every 6 sec and keeping mend pet up)

15+ Year Old Account
    Good list.

Could never solo first boss of AQ40, gonna try your strat. One thing that I hate is Archavon (10) and Ony (10). I can never beat them solo. Archavon is a problem because I either die from him hitting me when my pet goes up, or eventually dying from spikes. Ony is a problem because I die on adds phase, I either die because my pet sucks at aggro, or my pet dies because he gets owned by whelps.

I'm going to go try AQ40 and Malygos.. maybe TK later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome list, good job here.

Interested in seeing how this thread evolves.

High Astromancer Solarian in TK is extreamly easy for any class to solo, Tank and spank, if you have good enough gear you will kill her before adds spawn, if ur lower geared just kill the adds and move on.

I have soloed Bug family in AQ40 on my Moonkin druid, would be pretty hard for a hunter i imagine tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will have to update Wotlk stuff while at work in the morning
    Hi

Deleted
    I'd put Kil'Jaeden as a 4 with a Spirit beast and a 9 without one.

Deleted
    Bug Trio: Yauj, Vem, Kri Difficulty: ? (Need info)
    It's doable, wasn't that hard. Didn't need to worry about interrupting much, just burned through them. Fears and knockback are annoying though.

Can't remember which order, was prob the healer one first. Done with average 350 gear, in BM spec, with either a Spirit Beast or Turtle..

High Astromancer Solarian
    Think i may have tried that, but got fed up as i was constantly the 'bomb', would end up out of range of pet and it would despawn. Not fun D:

15+ Year Old Account
    Note: Bug trio is an odd fight. It's not really.. hard.. like I mean you should never die, but it is frustrating.

I think it's doable, just disengage whenever you get thrown up (sometimes you won't need to, you get teleported back). If you do that you really should never die. I'm having problems with my pets aggro, going to try Turtle instead of spirit beast and I'll update this.

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    Archavon is a problem because I either die from him hitting me when my pet goes up, or eventually dying from spikes.
    Chimera shot (glyphed) and spirit bond is more than enough to keep myself up at least. Deterrence always helps when you have to tank, but you should aim to never actually tank archavon for more than 1-2 hits. What I do is I pull with MD and send my pet in and wait for the first jump with the -hit cloud. When he jumps, put your pet on 'stay' and wait until archavon is in melee range of your pet again before you attack with your pet. Once that's done, I go towards the entrance until I'm at max range and disengage and run when he grabs my pet. By the time he reaches me, he usually releases my pet and I can feign death. Then the same thing but in the other direction and I've never had a problem with that boss.
    In Soviet Russia, you loot to raid.

Hippa

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa View Post
    Chimera shot (glyphed) and spirit bond is more than enough to keep myself up at least. Deterrence always helps when you have to tank, but you should aim to never actually tank archavon for more than 1-2 hits. What I do is I pull with MD and send my pet in and wait for the first jump with the -hit cloud. When he jumps, put your pet on 'stay' and wait until archavon is in melee range of your pet again before you attack with your pet. Once that's done, I go towards the entrance until I'm at max range and disengage and run when he grabs my pet. By the time he reaches me, he usually releases my pet and I can feign death. Then the same thing but in the other direction and I've never had a problem with that boss.
    It might be because I don't have spirit bond MM spec, or Chimera shot glyph ed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zplasch View Post
    I'd put Kil'Jaeden as a 4 with a Spirit beast and a 9 without one.
    Please post a strategy of some sort.

Updated with Naxxramas, EoE, Sartharion, and VoA. More to come.
    Hi

Soloed AQ40 first boss today. Did it as a MM hunter in pretty bad gear, dismissed my pet to avoid the MC.
    Just shot him while running up the stairs, then jumping off to get some time to just stand and dps while he runs back down.
    Had only 7k hp left once i killed him though, but certainly with better gear it should be pretty easy like that.

Copying my post off WoWhead since it's the tactic I've been using since I started and it works wonders still.

Instance: Oynxia's Lair 10
    Boss Name: Onyxia
    Spec + pet used: I run with my standard 7/31/3 raid spec, as surviveability is not an issue for either me or my pet, and an average gear level at currently 381.
    I buff up with King's Drums and 40 agi food, in lesser gear you could probably use a flask as well until you get comfortable with the fight. Glyph of Misdirection is offcourse mandatory.
    Using a turtle-pet, altho I don't think specifically a turtle is needed anymore, as the last ~10 kills neither shell shield or cower has been cast. Tanking pet is mostly for the increased growl threat and thunderstomp.

Tactic / Description of fight:
    Trash:
    Simple enough, but do not pull more than one at the time, your pet probably wont be able to handle it, even with cooldowns. They have about 900k hp and leaves a 75% reduced armor and increased fire damage taken debuff on your pet.

Phase 1:
    Misdirect Onyxia to your pet, and place the pet with the new 'Move to command' at the wall on the opposite side of the entrace, where she always use to be tanked. Keep Mend Pet up and dps her down. This phase is extremely easy.

Phase 2:
    At 65% she flies up in the air, and your pet will be unable to attack most of the time, so don't bother with sticking pet on her. Go to the middle of the room and drop a slowing + explosive trap. 2 packs of whelps (approx 10 from each side) will spawn and come directly at you. When they are starting to get inside the trap, pop deterrance and wait for them to be gathered up. Disengage out and spam multishot while running in circles around the trap. (Do not MD this pack to your pet, as it will most likely not survive all those whelps whacking it). I pop rapid fire here, for the extra focus regen. The whelps will never touch you and should die pretty easily if you kite them right. Unfortunately these do not proc Rapid Killing when killed.
    (It is also possible to completely avoid this add wave by simply placing your pet on stay where you tanked Onyxia in Phase 1, and just feign death as soon as the whelps are close to you, but I don't like cheesing encounters like that, so I will rather kill them.)

When the whelps are down DPS Onyxia as much as you can, until the big add spawn. These can also be reset with feigning death soon as they enter the room, but they only have about ~250k hp and do next to no dmg to your pet, so just MD and kill them as soon as they come. (Do not worry about the Ignite Weapon attack, like we did on lvl 80, it barely tickles your pet.)

New whelps will come every now and then (they might be on a timer, I am really not sure, but from all the kills I've done both the timer and the amount of spawns seems random), just MD them to your pet and leave them there, while you dps down Onyxia. You don't want a lot of small ones hitting you, as they hit for 1500-2000 a pop. Kill any new big adds that spawns. With my current gear I get 2 of those big adds before entering Phase 3, in lesser gear I remember getting 3 of them.

Onyxia will throw out random fireballs on both you and your pet during this phase, but do not worry, the damage is low and is easily healed up with Chimera shot alone. You can also feign or deterrance these fireballs, but it should not be needed.

Phase 3:
    At 40%, or 39% actually. Onyxia will land again and start the last phase. As soon as she is on ground, feign death and send your pet to attack her. Finish off the remaining whelps from Phase 2 by multishot/MD spamming, and then just go all out on Onyxia to finish her off.
    Doesn't matter where you tank her, pet beeing feared into whelp caves will not trigger them, just make sure you stand in a safe spot yourself. You can deterrance the fear (Bellowing Roar) when you see it cast, for a few extra seconds of dps.

Difficulty: (1 to 10, see below for difficulty description): 3 Phase 1 and 3 should not be a problem for anyone to get trough, it's all about managing those whelps spawns in Phase 2, while at the same time beeing able to put out some damage on the boss itself. It might take a few tries, but once you get it right, you will have another boss to farm weekly for a sweet looking mount.