Age of empires: Online

So this new RTS game called AoE: Online released 3 days ago... And I must say it really have got my WoW time off, it's a F2P game for the basic features, but extra features such as rare and epic equipments is a premium-feature which is a once-in-a-lifetime buy (What I know of).

So why is this on a WoW forum you might ask?. Well basicly because it's WoW & AoE mixed together, a few reasons for this is:

You go on quests where you can either go solo or co-op (If enabled for that quest), after the quests you get reward in form of coins, equipment, technology, advisors etc.

There is a feature called techonology, which is basicly like the old AoE3, and talents in WoW. Where you can put points in utility, economy & military. You'll get points by leveling.

Equipment common (Green) -> Epic (PurpLZZZ).

There is even a general chat which is basicly like barrens-chat right now!. Also a trade and LFG chat (For co-op).

Other features:

We got the arena, a premiumfeature where you build your arena in your city, yes your city, every person gets his own little city where he can have fun and build it up with decorations, buildings and much more. The arena is one of the builds, you can basicly match your friends up in a custom 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5 etc. and compete vs. eachother.

There is also 1v1 and 2v2 unranked, and ranked matches (Ranked is premium).

And some other features like advisor (premium), which improves your units, building speed, wall health etc.

If you were / are a fan of RTS, AoE and WoW and you like "cartoonish" graphics, this might be a game for you!

It requires windows live.

http://ageofempiresonline.com/

This game... I am disappoint. It's too heavily gated for me to care about playing it past level 4. I understand the reasoning, but there are better ways to do FTP games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was -just- thinking about trying this out, too.

Deleted
    looks interesting, is it fully playable for free, or is it like a glorified demo?

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    looks interesting, is it fully playable for free, or is it like a glorified demo?
    It's fully playable, only limited by the premium features .

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    Played this game up to level 10 and i can honestly say that this game is one of the worst RTS releases and a Pay to Win game.

What you have as free to play is a complete garbage and an insult to intelligence. You can't use rare and epic items, you can't learn last talent in talent tree, you can't build some of the building, you can't train elite troops.

To play the game properly you will need to buy premium. Free to play advertising is just an eye candy.
    You level and gear up by doing quests that most of the time launch separate standalone missions and are a huge grind and waste of time usually.

You get rare, epic items from crafting/chests/missions/etc.. which you can't equip unless you are premium (example below, my screenshots). You equip those items.. every unit have few slots you can fill with these items. You can easily outgear your opponent and if you do you can counter him with stronger units (which are alot weaker without items) that are cheaper.. and get away with it.

Game promotes turtle play, you can't macro units individually.. because it's next to impossible because of the size and design. You don't even have UI support for it. Units are slow, and with any kind of mediocre skill you can flank your opponent and go for main (game over if he doesn't make a new one in 2 min) when he leaves with units for yours... (turtle yours with towers and walls.. gg).. did it few times successfully.

Game will never reach competetive level nor is considered such by anyone. Gameplay is punishing and doesn't allow skill shots at any level.

PvP starts at level 5, takes a bit of grind to reach that. You need to go to Sparta and queue from arena there, else no pvp.. you can build arena in your home town and don't waste time and nerves to go to Sparta every time you want to pvp... if you are PREMIUM. You get separate currency for wining games in Sparta pvp and pvp in general, which you can't buy unless premium.

There is no "world pvp" and your home town will never be attacked. You go into pvp when you queue for it @ arena building in Sparta.. or your home town if premium.

You make pvp building in your home town with this blueprint, sry premium.

Better part of what you expect from this game is premium locked. Good stuff and boosts are Premium locked, buy to win. Extremely disappointed, i regret i wasted my time downloading and playing this game for few hours.

Everything in these is premium locked... same goes for most stuff in game.

Rare and Epic gear and consumables/cooldowns.. sry premium.

Shame on Microsoft and everyone else involved in this.
    Game is not free to play nor worth spending money on because of poor gameplay and time consuming grind you're bombed with.
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2011-08-20 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in the beta for a while. I'll certainly be playing this in my off time. LOVED the freaking game to death. I think gathering mats for buildings and gear was FAR too tedious, but overall, a very awesome game.

Last I checked, the game doesn't have a subscription. You pay $20 for the 'premium' pack, and you're set. It's just like GW: Buy the games, play the games for free. I see no problem in that. (Unless of course they DID add in a subscription, at which point this game just became total crap.)
    Last edited by endersblade; 2011-08-20 at 10:19 PM.

Deleted
    meh i have too many other games to play atm, think I will give this a miss :P

Shit, the game's out already? Better go try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's indeed sad to see how easly you can destroy other people simply because you have premium features.
    in beta i could use my cheapest unit equiped with epics to simply destroy other people because my units where extremely cheap to build and were strong enough to beat anything my oppenent could trow at me ( if they lacked epics and rares)

its a nice game to play but a free unit has litteraly no chance at winning against someone who bought the premium features and has his units equiped with epics.

Indeed, tbh as soon as most people realise what they're getting into and that this game is buy to win the playerbase will shrink faster than the speed of light.

10+ Year Old Account
    played beta...i didn't really enjoy it...imagine a normal rts except if you finish the long campaign (or buy items) before doing multiplayer then you will have access to all the upgrades however if you didn't do the campaign your stuck with all the basic none upgraded units...

The "campaign" is rather repetitive and it has alot of repeatable quests...most quests involve protecting something, building a certain amount of buildings within a set time or destroying a certain amount of things in a set time...

Deleted
    totalbiscuit first look if you are interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    Indeed, tbh as soon as most people realise what they're getting into and that this game is buy to win the playerbase will shrink faster than the speed of light.
    It's already shrinking. The AI was incredibly poor and to do anything in the game you have to pay for it.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Well, that was certainly a wonderful waste of my time. It's even worse than I figured it would be. I'm so insulted that I can't even be assed to make any real critiquing out of it. Just take everyone else's word and forget about it.

Deleted
    I played it fairly extensively in beta, unfortunately at the higher levels you really do need premium to be competitive. I actually enjoyed it quite a lot to start with - but not enough to pay money for.