Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Genderless locker rooms?

I do not want your opinions on whether you think homosexuality is right or wrong. I also don't want to get off topic with whether someone would or would not take advantage of an open environment because they are this or that. Please stay on topic.

So here's the question:

In your opinion, why are bathrooms, locker rooms, and public showers be built the way they are?

Right now, women and men are separated for privacy but homosexuals are not separated from their same sex. Why is this discrimination okay or not okay for you?

Should bathrooms, locker rooms, and public showers continue to be built this way, or should we progress to something else when creating a new building or updating an old one?
    Such as:

-Individual stalls for each person. Privacy for all.
    or
    -Open to all genders/preferences. Privacy for no one.
    or
    ???

I'm a fan of putting everyone in the same room, but with individual shower/bathroom stalls with curtains like they do at many campgrounds (the individual stalls, I haven't seen an open style room at a campground yet). This makes sure everyone gets their privacy and can't complain someone's gawking even if they aren't, but also isn't a substantial hike in cost to make gender separated and then individual separated stalls within the gender separated rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Deleted
    if theres no individual changing rooms, i'll go into the toilets, no I'm not ashamed of my body or questioning my sexuality, I just don't find them situations comfortable.

I tend to do the same, Mazamaras, unless time is of the essence. The practive of going into a stall keeps the honest honest.
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Well, I can only talk about middle-europe, but modern baths or "aqua parks" usually have now a greater area with lockers for both genders (I assume because most visitors are families), and smaller areas where each gender is separated.
    So everyone can decide where he goes to change his clothings.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Well, I can only talk about middle-europe, but modern baths or "aqua parks" usually have now a greater area with lockers for both genders (I assume because most visitors are families), and smaller areas where each gender is separated.
    So everyone can decide where he goes to change his clothings.
    I'd like to see that as a stepping stone here in the U.S.

If I built myself and was running a pool complex I would only have one changing room, (like you said) there is no point to seperation if there is gonna be fairies and lesbians running through there anyway. This would go for any place similer to a pool as there would be entirely to many people to cater to

A campground I would have each stall seprerate on the other hand for privacy as there is not nearly as much useage demand from the restrooms/showers.

Deleted
    my local pool has mixed locker / changing rooms, its just a hall way of cubicals in one side and lockers the other. works fine, most the time i go there, men dont bother getting changed in cubicals, but the woman do.

Deleted
    I don't see a reason to separate straight and homosexual individuals from the same locker room. There's no reason to be uncomfortable to change together with a homosexual person. Why differentiate, discriminate or dislike people based on sexual orientation?

I know this wasn't exactly the question or topic at hand, but it was brought up and I felt I needed to comment on it.

I fail to see the correlation between one sexuality and going to the bathroom or having a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I don't see a reason to separate straight and homosexual individuals from the same locker room. There's no reason to be uncomfortable to change together with a homosexual person. Why differentiate, discriminate or dislike people based on sexual orientation?

I know this wasn't exactly the question or topic at hand, but it was brought up and I felt I needed to comment on it.
    Do you see a reason to separate women and men, then? And to you, is there a difference? If so, why?
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2011-08-21 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All guys have the same parts so I don't think the sexuality matters there. Same for girls. I've showered with plenty of lesbians and didn't really care.

However, I am a very modest/shy person. I don't even like to wear a tank top in public because it shows too much skin. I would love privacy stalls to be implemented.

10+ Year Old Account
    you have an interesting point op and i totaly agree. but regardless it would just make public changing rooms/locker rooms/showers even more awkward.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

I get what you're saying, but I still see a lot of bad from it. I've just never had any problems with the gender separation, so I don't see a huge problem myself.

I think it's a matter of social comfort, right now. The more people there were of both sexes, the more likely I'd be comfortable with changing in front of guys - although it depends on atmosphere, and the situation. I like the option of a communal changing area, with smaller separate areas for any who really wanted it. Options are good - lack of choice is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by pvtpyro View Post
    All guys have the same parts so I don't think the sexuality matters there. Same for girls. I've showered with plenty of lesbians and didn't really care.

However, I am a very modest/shy person. I don't even like to wear a tank top in public because it shows too much skin. I would love privacy stalls to be implemented.
    this is a behaivior trait from your family of origin. when you were growing up you were taught to keep yourself seperated from boys and fine around girls, but you were never taught about gay and lesbian until you watched TV.

now when you are changing in a public place and you have a lesbian drooling over you you are perfectly fine with it. If you were changing with a guy, even if he completly refused to look your way you can't do it becuase of that behavior trait.

Quote Originally Posted by pvtpyro View Post
    I am more referring to whom someone says they are attracted to in terms of privacy from that type.

*Not-so-secretly wishes more people were like this. Anyways...I'll get back to the topic...

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people like their privacy, and in fact do feel awkward when unclothed.

Some people have it in them that they are only naked in front of other people during sexual situations, which is probably true for a lot of people that have maintained privacy in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocurious View Post
    Dudes have dude parts, bitches got bitch parts. They're separated so they don't have sex and have babies. At least that's why in schools. In gyms and wherever else there are lockers, it's probably just because people don't feel comfortable being naked around the opposite sex.
    /thread. .

if homosexuals can go into the mens room i can go into the womans room
    apparently the people at my YMCA didnt understand my policy

now i have a police record

OT: if im changing in a room and a guy is gay, i dont care, but if he is blatantly staring and says stuff, were gonna have a problem.
    Last edited by DerpderpHAMMA; 2011-08-21 at 03:36 PM.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Quote Originally Posted by Necrocurious View Post
    Dudes have dude parts, bitches got bitch parts. They're separated so they don't have sex and have babies. At least that's why in schools. In gyms and wherever else there are lockers, it's probably just because people don't feel comfortable being naked around the opposite sex.
    Agree 100%.