shard of woe in next patch 4.3

assuming 4.3 encounter with deathwing will be last patch till next expansion will SOW still be BIS for arcane mages???

TM(normal) have 321int(354int with kings/wiz) with 405mastery(average)

TM(Heroic) have 363int(400int with kings/wiz) with 458mastery(average)

NF(normal) have 383int(422int with kings/wiz) with 420mastery uptime(arcane cant use this but this is just an example)

NF(heroic) have 433int(477int with kings/wiz) with 480mastery uptime

ignoring H VLCP for now assuming it will prob get replaced by some trinket in 4.3

we know the ilvl for normal 4.3 raid will be 397 and heroic will be 410

so if there is a trinket 397ilvl 445int(502int with kings/wiz) with 435mastery(average) and

trinket 410ilvl with 503int(555int with kings/wiz) with 502mastery(average)

will these (made up) trinkets be better than SOW or will SOW be BIS till next expansion(assuming 4.3 will be last)??

im asking this so i can start farming my SOW since my guild has no idea it will be bis again next patch or not??
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you should farm what is BiS until you find something better, who knows when 4.3 will be released anyways so further yourself now and worry about theoretical trinkets later.

My guild doesn't like me enough to take our 25 man in there and help farm it for our arcanes, so I'm stuck trying to throw together a mixmatched group of non-raiders and mains and whatnot.

Yes, SoW will more than likely continue to be BiS until next X-pac, unless they do something to change the way the trinket works.

Pretty sure that SoW is only head by a small margin so probably next patch it will be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaelia View Post
    I think you should farm what is BiS until you find something better, who knows when 4.3 will be released anyways so further yourself now and worry about theoretical trinkets later.
    yea but progression>farm stuff right?? im still stuck 4/7H but soon to be 6/7(not sure why we havent tried alysrazor and domo)

yea im bit ahead of myself but its really not worth the time if its not bis next patch(imagine farming sow and not droping for over 2months then its not bis any more in 4.3) :P

unless... they nerf SOW to the ground

thought they made shard of woe only work for healers

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    no shard of woe is still BIS for arcane mages in 4.2 they changed the mana reduction for arcane magic for that trinket by half but its still really good

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    The effect was only halved for non-nature/holy spells, not removed completely

I entered some data for a theoretical T13 Trinket into Rawr.

I used Int 458 (like Heroic VLPC)

I used a 60 second use effect (like Rune of Zeth) with a secondary stat (they won't give a Int+Int-proc Trinket). I used 15 seconds usage, like in Rune of Zeth. As to the value I used
    1523 because:

Rune of Zeth: 1277
    The not-actually-in-the-game Rune of Zeth Heroic on wowhead: 1441

Now 378->391 -> 13 item levels
    391->397 -> 6 item levels

So I added 50% of (1441-1277) -> 1523

The resulting trinket was very close to SoW (but still behind it) if the secondary stat was
    Mastery (52 dps behind). For weaker stats it was 100 dps more behind.

Now if we have a ilvl 410:

Int 508
    Effect: 1605

Now the theoretical trinket beats SoW by 89 dps.

So the result of this calculation seems: If the ilvl 397 dps is GOOD itemized people who
    already have SoW won't replace it, but it might be an option for people who do not have it.
    On T13 Hard Mode it is likely to get replaced for all, though.

SoW's benefit scales with your Intellect to a degree. It will most likely remain Best-in-Slot though the expansion, unless they nerf it (which is very probable). The only scenario I can see it not being BiS is if our Intellect in tier 13 allows us to Burn -> Evo -> Burn -> Evo with no Conserve phase. This would require an obscene amount of Intellect, and probably a nifty set bonus to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by nemex View Post
    SoW's benefit scales with your Intellect to a degree. It will most likely remain Best-in-Slot though the expansion, unless they nerf it (which is very probable). The only scenario I can see it not being BiS is if our Intellect in tier 13 allows us to Burn -> Evo -> Burn -> Evo with no Conserve phase. This would require an obscene amount of Intellect, and probably a nifty set bonus to boot.
    Well ICC set bonuses were nifty to say the least :P

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    Well ICC set bonuses were nifty to say the least :P
    2piece wouldnt be great for arcane since you dont really use arcane missile in burn phase but in conserve phase it would be ok but more AB cast=more mana burn so unless your arcane missile procs 100% its not good as it used to be(remember Abx4>AM)

how will they nerf it?? half the mana cost again??? i think it will end up like burn phase>evoc>burn with shard of woe

i think i have 130k? mana raid buff,food and flask
    so with t13 stuff im expecting to see 150kish mana, thats 4500mana every 5s from mage armor(without glyph) with glyph it will be 5400 mana every 5s, thats enough mana for one more AB with shard of woe >_>

15+ Year Old Account
    That, or they give two Intellect trinkets, of which neither has a component relying on DoT spells. Let me check if changing H NMF from stacking Mastery on DoT to just stacking Mastery would put it ahead of SoW. Brb.

Hmmm, losing SoW equates to 50 less AB, 13 more AM, and 7 more Abarr over the course of a fight. That seems a bit off imho.
    Last edited by Swizzle; 2011-08-23 at 03:35 AM.

I imagine the massive massive amount of intellect on future trinkets will probably outweigh it, but we shall see.