Building/buying gaming computer

,Hello, I am in the market for a new computer. My budget is 500-650. I am looking for a computer to run WOW at 60 FPS on good or high settings. I do have a preference for the video card, and that is the Geforce 460 GTX. So if I could find a desktop with that card, that would be ideal.

I only need the tower-speakers mice keyboard I already have.

Do you need the operating system, or can you obtain it cheap or for free elsewhere? (Remember to buy 64bit, not 32bit.)

USA-USD. I do not have an OS atm. But I could probably find one cheap on craigslist.

10+ Year Old Account
    mmo-champion.com/threads/879505-quot-Sweet-Spot-quot-Build (can't post links yet I don't believe so just copy paste to your browser window)

look at the $700 build and maybe cut some costs where you can to bring it down to your $650, like if you can re-use your current optic drive, HDD etc.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    $500 Build
    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black $39.99
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D 380W $44.99
    Motherboard: AsRock H61M-VS $59.99
    Processor: Intel Core i3 2100 $124.99
    CPU Cooler: Stock - Free
    RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) $34.99
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $44.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: Galaxy GTS 450 $124.99
    Total: 519.92 USD
    Upgrade to MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II for $55 more. Add on an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit for another $100. Budget say $50 for speakers (decent logitech 2.1 system). You're going to be looking around $725.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Upgrade to MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II for $55 more. Add on an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit for another $100. Budget say $50 for speakers (decent logitech 2.1 system). You're going to be looking around $725.
    The power supply in the $500 build won't run the n560gtx (minimum 400W suggested) nor even the 460 the OP has said is their preference. Also I think you misread the original post (or I did). I read it as: I only need the tower. Speakers, mouse and keyboard I already have.

I think honestly I'd rather buy a rig, than build one. I have no experience in that area. I dont want a PC thats overkill, but with enough power to run WOW at a good FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you buy pre-built you pay a hefty premium for that service. There are many guides both here on MMO-Champion and elsewhere on the internet that make the whole "build it yourself" thing seem like child's play. Granted I won't be letting my 4 year old near my new build while I'm assembling it, but anyone that can already consider upgrading a PC themselves should be able to consider building one.

I just dont have the confidence to partake in such a thing. When you get into thermal paste, soldering things...mounting things..it becomes overwhelming. I do hate the prospect of paying more than what I possibly need...

Well you don't solder when you build a system, unless you REALLY modify something. So no soldering, other than that, it's almost like using LEGOs. It's only overwhelming because you let it overwhelm you. If you read the manual, look at guides, and don't panic, it's stupidly easy. No one ever taught me how to put a computer together, I figured it out myself. Most things only fit one way, and the internet(google) is the best tool you have. I fyou have a friend that knows how, pay him a few bucks to do it for you, and WATCH him. That way you don't need to pay him next time
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, this isn't the days of the x286 where soldering something was a big possibility so you shouldn't worry about that.

Ok, if someone could list me a build with the geforce 460 gxt for under 600 dollars, I'd very greatful. If it's as easy to learn as you make it sound and if it'll save me money, I'll give it a shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the preference for a 460? Granted it is a good card for price to performance.

Also I'd like to add building a computer now is super easy, look up youtube videos how to do it. I was worried about software configuration my first build but it almost set itself up for me it was so easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrow23 View Post
    Ok, if someone could list me a build with the geforce 460 gxt for under 600 dollars, I'd very greatful. If it's as easy to learn as you make it sound and if it'll save me money, I'll give it a shot.
    Is there anything in your current PC that can be re-used? Do you have or can you get a copy of Windows separate from the build cost? Those would both change the value of a build.