Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Choosing the right PSU

I'm building my own pc but don't know what PSU I have to take.

Gfx card: 2x GTX560
    i5-2500K processor
    motherboard: P67 extreme4 Socket 1155
    1 Harddisk 750GB
    8Gb RAM

I will be playing BF3 on it (if that's even relevant).

Is 750 Watt enough or is it better to take a 950 (Like realy necessary).

I know there's isn't a big difference in prices between them, but I'm asking for my brother aswell who has a 750 in his current pc and is upgrading instead of actualy buying a completely new one.

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 W, its reliable, doesn't come DOA 5 year warranty, cheap price. good quality, im about to just order one right now because its so cool.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted
    -- Incorrect info
    Last edited by mmoc46e92a5b5a; 2011-08-22 at 01:09 AM.

Seasonic or PC;P&C or Cougar. Silver/gold/plat certified.

I would never buy from any other company and never all lower cert.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryus View Post
    After a bit of googling, I found that the 560 under load draws about the 300W mark. So thats 600W plus 95W for the processor. If you can afford the bigger power supply - without cutting the reputation of it, then I'd go higher, just in case you want to upgrade later on and don't have to re-buy the power supply.

Given you're already up to around 700W if you put the system under load, I'd go with a solid brand - Corsair, SeaSonic, Antec etc 750-800W.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    You're looking at total system-draws. IIRC, a GTX580 draws 222w on it's own.
    So you just overkilled his PC. :P

A 650w should be enough, with enough room to spare to make it silly. I recommend the SeaSonic X-650.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'll add in my vote for either Seasonic (provided they're as good as they were back in the A64 days) or Corsair.
    Since SeaSonic makes the best of Corsair ones, whom all receive high praise, I'd say they are. :P (The only specific "good" PSU they don't make is the AX1200, they do make the rest of the AX-line, though.)

There are still reasons to go Corsair. For instance, they have 7 years warranty, I believe. And their customer support have yet to fall under the inevitable "be too long in the business"-curse (ie, they all start out great in customer support, but degrades to horridity)

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever you take, don't skimp out.

Deleted
    Since you are going to run 560 Ti SLI, you'll need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking)
    But if you are going with a single card, 600 Watt will do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah a 560 will take about 175W under load. When you see 300W in a benchmark, that is for the whole system, at the wall. You'll be fine with 650W.

Oh, and I hope you're getting 2x GTX 560 *Ti*
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Kat1l View Post
    Since you are going to run 560 Ti SLI, you'll need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking)
    But if you are going with a single card, 600 Watt will do.
    Even if he was running two 560 Ti's, 650w would be enough even if he overclocked CPU and both GPUs.

SLI is going to cost you like 100 dollars a year in electric bills. Just buy a single 580...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    No.
    No.
    No.
    You're looking at total system-draws. IIRC, a GTX580 draws 222w on it's own.
    So you just overkilled his PC. :P

A 650w should be enough, with enough room to spare to make it silly. I recommend the SeaSonic X-650.
    Damn, some of them were using total draws, some the card itself. I thought it was a bit high. Another vote for the SeaSonic though, great PSUs.