Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Crash when editing in Chrome

I've never noticed this before, only the last day or so. When typing a quick reply in Chrome I can't make paragraphs (hit enter and the blinking text cursor disappears), and editing to try to create paragraphs occasionally crashes the site in any browser tabs it's open in.

If it's some obscure thing I've done to my computer then my bad, but I only notice the issue on MMO-Champion and again, only for a few days now.
    The pages all appear to be fully loaded and I'm not having any other issues.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2011-08-23 at 09:44 AM.

I haven't had any crashing yet, but I've also had troubles making paragraphs. Sometimes it lets me, other times it doesn't, but editing always lets me make paragraphs. Even for this reply I'm gonna have to edit for my next line.

It started to happen after they did the software update for this forum.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2011-08-22 at 12:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried using the Standard Editor as opposed to the WYSIWYG one? You can change it by going to:

Settings > General Settings> Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Have you tried using the Standard Editor as opposed to the WYSIWYG one? You can change it by going to:

Settings > General Settings> Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface

I'm apparently already on the standard editor. I thought everyone was changed to the WYSIWYG one when the switch was made?

Should I try the new one then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    I'm apparently already on the standard editor. I thought everyone was changed to the WYSIWYG one when the switch was made?

Should I try the new one then?
    Not sure. I believe it was switched back. Have you tried other browsers? Are you using any addons?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Not sure. I believe it was switched back. Have you tried other browsers? Are you using any addons?
    Haven't tried any other browsers, I'll give Firefox a go for a bit but my guess is it'll turn out to be just Chrome (apparently it has a bit of a reputation for text-entry issues, I've had them on one or two sites but never at anywhere near the same time/in the same way).

I did get AdBlock semi-recently (although I've had it for a fair bit longer than I've been having this issue). I don't really mind white-listing MMO-Champion so I might try that for a bit as well. Other than that I have a few timer and hex-color selector type addons, nothing that should be affecting display at all.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2011-08-22 at 01:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would start by turning off addons to see if any of them are an issue. If it's fixed then turn them back on one-by-one until you find the culprit.

I'm not to versed in the technical aspects of things around here, so I'm sure an admin will be along soon to offer their advice as well. Good luck!

15+ Year Old Account
    No worries, thanks for trying c:

So far Firefox doesn't seem to share the issue.

Happens to me too.

Chrome kinda sucks now, there are a lot of issues with it that I've sort of just dealt with because I cba re-switching back to Firefox.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a chrome editor bug that has something to do with auto save, but it's out of our hands -- we need a patch from vbulletin/ckeditor. Our devs are seeing if there's any temporary fix or workaround.

For now, the general ways to avoid it:

1. If you see the cursor disappear after you hit enter once, don't hit it again.

2. At that point, you can either copy your entire message and reload the page, or hit ctrl+s and cancel out of the message box, which seems to reset it.

It sucks, and we're doing everything we can... but it might not be enough to fix it until vBulletin updates.

15+ Year Old Account
    We disabled autosave for now, so it's possible that this is fixed...

Can anyone using Chrome please report if you're still seeing a crash?

Thanks!

I had this same issue a bit ago editing a post. Now that I think about it, it happend on 3 tabs at the same time although only 1 of them had an edit window open. It hasn't happened since ( maybe 40 mins ago it happened.) Not sure how to duplicate but i'll do my best.

Also around that time when I was typing, when I tried to press <enter> to drop to the next line, it didn't do anything but remove my cursor. It was odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post

Thanks!
    I had the crash about 20-30 minutes ago. Tried to re-edit a post, and couldn't as I couldn't make a new paragraph

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post

Thanks!
    Almost was posting that I don't get any crashes, but cursor still disappears after pressing enter; But just before I was finished my post Chrome crashed.

15+ Year Old Account
    We changed it about a minute and a half before my post, so keep an eye and see if it happens more/less/at all from now on... hopefully it's at least better.

I experienced the same problem and thought it was just something with my computer

But as you can see its working fine now
    Last edited by Durand; 2011-08-22 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Showing entering during edits works

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, now I can't get this browser to crash (It crashed often with multiple mmo-c tabs) and cursor doesn't seem disappearing anymore.
    Much more to write now

15+ Year Old Account
    Still having the cursor disappear, but no crashes so far. At least a bit better!

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found that in Chrome, when you see your cursor disappear, you can Ctrl-S and it will bring up a save box. Simply cancel out of this and then you get your cursor back.

At least it's a temporary workaround. :P

I'm having crashing issues, although they are different than the ones I first experienced. When I attempt to open multiple MMO-champ tabs Chrome becomes unresponsive and i've done it like 3 times.