Thread: CAT5 vs CAT6

CAT5 vs CAT6

So I just got a new pc the other day and i've started livestreaming some of our raids etc,
    now what increases quality most while streaming is upload speed (if I am informed correctly).

what i'm wondering now is, is it worth upgrading my CAT5 cables to CAT6. or is the difference just not that noticeable?

thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    as far as i am aware, if u want a good and fast connection then i would change the cables to cat6, however, cat6 is known for be more sensitive compared to cat5 talking about noise, so if you have alot of other cables lying with your current cables, stay with cat 5

firstly, i am not a system engineer, but from what i know the max speed for a cat5 cable is 100mbit and the max speed for a cat6 cable is 1gbit.

more info:
    wikipedia cat 5
    wikipedia cat 6

10+ Year Old Account
    Using CAT5 or CAT6 in a home setting is only going to be noticeable if you're using higher than gigabit ports, which most people won't be doing. Your ISP upload speed is probably somewhere between 5-10Mbs, which is well within the capability of Cat5/5e. The only reason to put in CAT6 right now is if it's new cable being run in your home... upgrading just has no purpose at this time.

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sjeepsjifter View Post
    firstly, i am not a system engineer, but from what i know the max speed for a cat5 cable is 100mbit and the max speed for a cat6 cable is 1gbit.

more info:
    wikipedia cat 5
    wikipedia cat 6
    Cat5/5e supports gigabit speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakushi View Post
    So I just got a new pc the other day and i've started livestreaming some of our raids etc,
    now what increases quality most while streaming is upload speed (if I am informed correctly).

what i'm wondering now is, is it worth upgrading my CAT5 cables to CAT6. or is the difference just not that noticeable?
    No cable swapping at home will make any difference unless your current cables are broken and limiting the speed. Only thing you can do is swap ISP and buy more upstream.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If you are running on FO outside of your house, and CAT5 is throttling your upload speeds then upgrade to CAT6. Otherwise it's just for looks.

it doesnt matter.
    im sure your isp doesnt provide you with those speeds, or anything close to it.

alright thank you all, have decided not to upgrade then. you've all been a great help

cat5e runs gigabit ethernet which is fast enough for 98% of everyone in the world. If you need something faster than I suggest going fiber instead of cat6.

hell even plain cat5 can run gigabit ethernet as long as you crimp it down correctly and don't bend the cable too much.

right now there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to cat6 if you are all wired cat5 or cat5e. if you're building a new house then that's the only time you should use cat6. I would add in fiber and coax and hdmi connectors to every wall jack as well for the complete solution as you'll be set for the next 10+ years. It will also bring the value of your house up. I know I'd be more tempted to buy a house that's already wired with everything I could ever want.

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 06:22 PM ----------

Ohh cat6 can go 10 gigabit speeds. why would you need that much speed is beyond me. max length at 10 gigabit is only 55 meters .. which is half of the max length of a cat5e cable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BodycountQQ View Post
    max length at 10 gigabit is only 55 meters .. which is half of the max length of a cat5e cable.
    This part is a bit pointless - since Cat6 is certified for 100m at 1gbps.

Cat5e can't be relied on across such a distance at that speed; assuming of course your NICs haven't already given up at that point.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-22 at 10:43 PM.

If you think to choose Gigabit Ethernet then you should go for cat6. It is little more expensive than cat5. But, it gives you more benefits or high speed internet connectivity.

Infracted for thread necro. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-07-31 at 02:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Locked due to a 6 year necro.