Thread: Infractions

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Infractions

Should we currently be able to see other users infractions and what I assume is the next level of ban they receive below their avatar? I'm seeing a message like the one below and several different ones beneath users names.

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a small glitch in the system OP, it does that from time to time least in my case

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not a glitch; it's a purposeful display which can be turned on or off. We had it on a while ago for a few hours, but turned it off pending a few changes. Then, it showed only for self + mods, but some other changes we made interact with the permissions. We had turned it on just now for 30 seconds before seeing the permissions error, but it's off again now to preserve privacy.

On a side note, the bright side is that everyone can now see infractions on posts via a red card icon, like here.

No more wondering if a post has been dealt with; you can see it already! Keep in mind that if there are many bad posts from a particular user in a thread, the infraction may be a larger infraction on one of those posts, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neat, but being able to see someone's past infractions and what they were for in their profile would still be very much useful.

As for the privacy complaint? Think about it like committing a felony in the 'states. It's on your record forever and anyone can see it with a little searching.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Eh.. I don't think there is any good argument for why normal users (non mods) would need to see another users past/current infractions. I mean how is it useful to know that x person is one infraction away from a ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, mods can already see current/past infractions for everyone. I've argued that having an individual see their own infractions below their avatar might influence a person in a positive way. Seeing points add up may discourage a user from posting against the rules. I asked about it a few weeks back and it's a work in progress. I suppose they are still working on it.

Well yea I can see how see'ing your own could be useful... but being able to see someone else's? I don't think that could be good at all.

i want to show mine. how do?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I asked about it a few weeks back and it's a work in progress. I suppose they are still working on it.
    Was on for 30 seconds today (which this thread was about); off now indefinitely due to privacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    some other changes we made interact with the permissions. We had turned it on just now for 30 seconds before seeing the permissions error, but it's off again now to preserve privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by lukerocks View Post
    i want to show mine. how do?
    You can always see your own infractions on the infractions tab on your profile.

It would really only be a count of how many times the person has disagreed with a power tripping moderator.

Seems people can flame, spam, troll and basically get away with anything as long as it's the same opinion as the moderator but as soon as someone makes a strong maybe slightly out of hand opinion disagreeing with a moderator or just generally against the forum or Blizzard/WoW, one report is enough to get an infraction.

For example in the past I have been infracted for calling someone a troll, I got infracted, fine that's ok I broke the rules but I have also reported people calling me a troll (unjustly) and have gone back to that thread an hour or a day later and see no notice of infraction of ban.

There just seems to be increadible bias on who gets infracted and who dosn't, not just people who break the rules and who dosn't but who the moderator agrees with/likes and others they don't. So back to the OP question, no I don't think infractions should be seen because it seems like it would be mostly an idication of bias towards who the moderators personally like and those they have a vendetta against because of a difference in opinion.

I'm not trying to fight my infractions, I made them I'll suffer for them but it just bugs me that other people can do the exact same or worse without any consequences because they are on a certain side of an opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomousCarnage View Post
    It would really only be a count of how many times the person has disagreed with a power tripping moderator.

Seems people can flame, spam, troll and basically get away with anything as long as it's the same opinion as the moderator but as soon as someone makes a strong maybe slightly out of hand opinion disagreeing with a moderator or just generally against the forum or Blizzard/WoW, one report is enough to get an infraction.

For example in the past I have been infracted for calling someone a troll, I got infracted, fine that's ok I broke the rules but I have also reported people calling me a troll (unjustly) and have gone back to that thread an hour or a day later and see no notice of infraction of ban.

There just seems to be increadible bias on who gets infracted and who dosn't, not just people who break the rules and who dosn't but who the moderator agrees with/likes and others they don't. So back to the OP question, no I don't think infractions should be seen because it seems like it would be mostly an idication of bias towards who the moderators personally like and those they have a vendetta against because of a difference in opinion.

I'm not trying to fight my infractions, I made them I'll suffer for them but it just bugs me that other people can do the exact same or worse without any consequences because they are on a certain side of an opinion.
    Have you sent a PM to Sunshine or Boub about the cases you talk about? Every single time someone complains about the mods Sunshine usually tells the complainer that they are very welcome to PM Boub or himself with the complaint.

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. If you have issues, PM me or Boubouille with specific examples. We'll take whatever actions are necessary.

10+ Year Old Account

Ohhhhh, the horror of Elementium's wrath.. ' goes off to cry in a corner'

On a serious note though, I highly doubt there are given unjustified bans on this forum. Perhaps sometimes a mod bans somewhat slightly faster due personal reasons but that's always the case when having more power than another. Humans can never be 100% subjective, there is always an element of emotion involved.

10+ Year Old Account

That's actually precisely why some of the moderators have been pushing for this kind of a change, to let users see if a post has been infracted or not. This kind of claim gets brought up fairly often in ban appeals, and most of the time the person they're complaining about actually was infracted, but the moderator who did so didn't edit their post to make that obvious. In most of the rest of the cases, it was a situation where a moderator was overworked and checking post reports, and nobody reported the other post, and during the ban appeal that resulted someone moderating that forum will go back and correct the oversight.

We're not superhuman and we can't read every post made. We rely on post reports from you folks to catch a lot of the bad stuff. One thing we're hoping is that this kind of automatic notice that an infraction was handed out will cut down on this kind of misplaced anger, by letting users see when someone earned an infraction.

Deleted
    I would really want to know more about infractions. Is there a cap, when you are banned ? is this some kind of a warning ?
    I just received a message for a signature to large ?
    WTF ? you have to ban me for that, just code a script (same as the avatar one) to not allow them , it's not so hard...
    I guess i have to change my siganture now :d

Thanks,
    All the best,
    Sorin.

15+ Year Old Account
    In short. 15pts will equal a 3 day ban. Points after that will increase the duration in weeks up to the point where you are perma-banned. Points do expire though, so past misdeeds won't haunt you forever.

Oh and a signature infraction is smaller, it's meant to inform you that your sig violates our guidelines. Usually size (500p x 100p max) or filesize (50kb max).
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-08-23 at 08:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bysorynyos View Post
    I just received a message for a signature to large ?
    WTF ? you have to ban me for that, just code a script (same as the avatar one) to not allow them , it's not so hard...
    I guess i have to change my siganture now :d
    The signature infraction in particular is in a whole different class than the other infractions.

Bans are triggered every 5 points starting at 15 points, so there's no way a single signature infraction can cause a ban; you'd have to get a second one within a month. If you have no other infractions, it'll take 4 signature infractions within a month to ban you.

Signature infractions are mostly a way for us to say "hey, check out the signature rules!", rather than direct punishment. Same goes for the reason why you usually get a few infractions before a ban in the first place; we're just especially nice about signature infractions.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, the bright side is that everyone can now see infractions on posts via a red card icon
    I like!
    10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, the bright side is that everyone can now see infractions on posts via a red card icon, like here.
    Out of c uriosity, is there a plan to adding something like the opposite. Something that people may seem controversial or sometimes think trolling and just spam report. Like a green card or something, saying that its moderator approved or what not?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not at this time, although eventually we would like some sort of upvote system.. still don't know exactly how it could work for our forum, so no details/ETA on that yet.

If people do keep reporting something, it might make us take a closer look at it or post a warning in the thread, though.