Windows didn't reinstall properly after System Restore

My laptop had a bug where it would freeze at the desktop and would only work if i ran it in safe mode. After getting frustrated with it I decided to use system retore. I did not have any restore points set so it was to be completely reset. It turns on still but now brings me to a black screen where it tells me i can do a system repair tool or run windows normally. When I do the repair option it brings me to a blue and green windows screen where a window will pop up for a second and disappear. After that it just sits at the screen not doing anything. the run windows normally option says it loads windows then causes it to return to the original black screen. Im running Windows 7 home 64bit on a HP G-61 laptop. I called tech support and I dont think the guy knew what i was talking about. Anything I can do?

i would do a clean reinstall,
    you dont have to buy another copy of windows just use the same serial on a shiny sticker that should be somewhere on your laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerge View Post
    i would do a clean reinstall,
    you dont have to buy another copy of windows just use the same serial on a shiny sticker that should be somewhere on your laptop.
    before doing this make sure you download your wifi, ethernet, and chipset drivers to a flash drive first, laptops are known for not working with the windows universal drivers

How do you do that?

had this bug once on a pc, i ran it in safemode and made a scheduled HDD check for when it next started which took like 1-2hours of deleting/replacing files and then its worked great since then.
    GL

i dont get the option to as far as i know. the hp loadup screen shows up (where you can press esc to get a different menu) then it goes directly into the system repair menu or w/e it is. i tried called hp again and since my warranty is up they wont even talk to me about it. i didnt even think about getting the windows 7 serieal number before the system restore becuase it usually does it fine. I checked on the bottom of the computer too but the sticker got smudged so its not even close to being legible

it's esc and then f9. AFAIK.