Thread: 5770x2 vs 6850

10+ Year Old Account

5770x2 vs 6850

I currently have a 5770 and was wanting to upgrade for BF3. I could swing to pick up a 6850, maby something better?, or another 5770. I'm just not too sure what would run BF3 more smooth at decent settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt you'd see much of an improvement, if any. You'll probably have to wait until the next generation for any single card in a decent price range to be better than 2x 5770
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 6850 is only a nominal upgrade over a 5770, in fact I think they are both pretty close in price and the only real differences are in the power draw (the 6850 has a lower power consumption rating I believe) and there might be a couple of minor clock speed differences and things.

Honestly for the price of owning two 5770's, you might as well get a 6870.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm looking at the 6870 at a glance,it looks ok. Ive never had any set up in crossfire and I dont know how far I can push my 5770. I already have 1 card and would save about 80$ if I did get another 5770 vs a 6870. I just want to make sure when I pick up bf3 it will run smooth, would a 6870 be in the max setting ballpark? mabey not max AA but somewhere in there?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I doubt you'd see much of an improvement, if any. You'll probably have to wait until the next generation for any single card in a decent price range to be better than 2x 5770
    For price to performance the 5770 Crossfire setup is probably the best value, but some of the higher end single cards like the 6890 and 6900 series cards are just as powerful as two cards combined, however you sacrifice dollar value in order to run just a single card with the same performance and almost the same power draw as a Crossfire setup with how cheap the 5770's are now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Honestly for the price of owning two 5770's, you might as well get a 6870.
    This would be a valid tip if he did not already own a single 5770.

But there is no reason to get rid of one 5770 and then spend 175$ in order to get a single 6870. When he can buy a second 5770 for 120$ and get better results.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I touched base on your same dilemma do I purchase a new single card or grab another 5770...Well I picked up a second 5770 and straight away the performance difference was noticeable. Its an inexpensive upgrade at this point and will give you a great experience playing BF3. I strongly advise for going Crossfire assuming you have the power supply and motherboard to support it.

crossfire sounds like the best value in your situation i would go in that direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I touched base on your same dilemma do I purchase a new single card or grab another 5770...Well I picked up a second 5770 and straight away the performance difference was noticeable. Its an inexpensive upgrade at this point and will give you a great experience playing BF3. I strongly advise for going Crossfire assuming you have the power supply and motherboard to support it.
    Yeah i have a ready motherboard and a decent psu. Guess Ill take the plunge, thanks!

Deleted
    As with all the BF3 threads: wait until the game comes out (or at least the system requirements and/or performance related reviews). For all we know it will be extremely well optimized and run with high settings on a 8800GT. At least, I'm fairly certain your 5770s will run the game just fine - perhaps not maxed out.

Dice has also said that *they* haven't been able to fully max out the game settings with any current PC. While I'm sure it will run fine on lesser hardware with the settings turned down, I'd be willing to bet it scales very well with a more powerful PC.

That said, definitely wait till the game comes out (or more specifics about hardware requirements) That way you can know for sure what needs upgrading and by how much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Dice has also said that *they* haven't been able to fully max out the game settings with any current PC.
    I believe they said they hadn't been able to max out the engine yet, which seems purely like a PR-trick (even if it might be true) to sell that the engine is "next generation ready". This late in development DICE is well aware what BF3 will and will not require to be maxed out, even though they might not be confident enough to give a "system requirements" specification yet as that usually involves a lot of down-scaling of GPU-intensive features (optimizing the game) and testing on older hardware.