Deleted

Questions about being Resto in PvP

Hey folks,

I got some questions regarding my shammy, especially about survival.
    First of all, here is my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...c3%aeke/simple

Theres a good chance that Ill be in ele pve gear and spec most of the time, but you can look at my resto spec anyway.
    My gear is pretty good so far, ruthless weapons, 3 ruthless set items and the rest is mostly decked out in 371, some 384 randoms. Which gives me, 4k resi and almost 8k spellpower etc.

As you can see tho, my 3v3 rating (resto/arms/ret) isnt especially good. We peaked at 1700 after 30 games or so, but after that we had an unlucky streak and lost like 15 of 20 games and a lot of points.
    One of the reasons was... cause I sucked. Or at least thats what I think was the reason.

My questions now:

Is it normal not be able to survive against 2 dps like warri/feral, dk/feral, ret/dk more than 30 sec? Cause if my ret and warri are just going rampage on the other healer and Im alone with 2 dps raping me, I cant keep me alive for long. Sometimes even 1 good dk kills me after like ~1 minute.

I keep everything on CD, stoneclaw totem, grounding, riptide and UE on me. Spiritlink when I drop below 30%. Casting and trying to kite them is like a waste of time when I got 2 guys on me, or am I wrong with that opinion?

In duels tho, it is retartedly easy to survive against 1 dps, even a dk for more than 5 minutes. But as soon as other factors come into play like having to watch health of other mates, dispelling them, dispelling me etc I lose track of some things sometimes and then its fucked up.

I would appreciate any tips regarding gear (reforging to mastery or spirit, or even haste), spec and playstyle. Cause sometimes I think I just suck at my class. Even tho this is the first season I play as resto... but still. Ive played my shaman for over 3 years now, and I think I can handle him pretty well (most of the times). PvE is a totally different field tho and much easier imo.
    Last edited by mmoca1bc9cb6f0; 2011-08-23 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    Is it normal not be able to survive against 2 dps like warri/feral, dk/feral, ret/dk more than 30 sec? Cause if my ret and warri are just going rampage on the other healer and Im alone with 2 dps raping me, I cant keep me alive for long. Sometimes even 1 good dk kills me after like ~1 minute.
    It is absolutely normal. Your partners need to save you sometimes so you could have time to cast 1-2 big heals on yourself. Warrior can intervene > fear, disarm. Ret can BoP you. You did not mention any of those must have tricks so I assume they just blindly tunnel enemy healer. It is hard to peel melee cleaves, using only instants and trying to fake cast.

Also I came into a nice friendly guide for novice resto shamans. Check it out. maybe it will help!

http://wow.csb-gaming.com/wordpress/?p=603
    http://wow.csb-gaming.com/wordpress/?p=716

PS may be iam not a very expirienced resto shaman, but last season I got to 1900+ on my holy paladin, which was absolutely new to me. So I hope my answer helps. Peace!

Deleted
    Thanks a lot! Ill read it and see if and what I can add to my playing behaviour.

First off having 2 melee classes on any healer is a huge disadvantage. The only way to essentially survive them is if your dps gets nice peels on them and you manage to earthbind and ghost wolf away. Other than that its pretty hard to heal yourself through 2 melee dps. Arenas is a team game everyone needs to be helping each other so have your dk stand out and deathgrip a melee away from you so you can peel off. Have your ret stun one. Its all about ccs in PvP now adays.

Deleted
    I go with an Arms warri and a ret, so no deathgrip there.

Are there any tactics how to escape from different combinations of 2 melees? For example:

Arms/Ret: Medium Chance to escape, purge freedom of ret and earthbind the warri + pillarhugging
    Frost DK/Feral: Literally no chance to escape, frost dk isnt really slowable and with his icy chains and shit there is no chance to escape from them... And so on, are there any "basic" tactics other than just earthbind/frostshock and ghostwolf? Thanks in advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    I go with an Arms warri and a ret, so no deathgrip there.

Are there any tactics how to escape from different combinations of 2 melees? For example:

Arms/Ret: Medium Chance to escape, purge freedom of ret and earthbind the warri + pillarhugging
    Frost DK/Feral: Literally no chance to escape, frost dk isnt really slowable and with his icy chains and shit there is no chance to escape from them... And so on, are there any "basic" tactics other than just earthbind/frostshock and ghostwolf? Thanks in advance !
    No Dk so the only way I can see you peeling is a throwdown on one melee and a hammer on the other. 5 seconds on each so you wont have time to earthbind just ghostwolf LoS and GHW as fast as you can. That comp is not too good higher level because of lack of CC but it should get you to about 2k.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will most likely always be the focus of double melee teams and that should be what they are doing. That is basically your only true counter in arena as a resto shaman. Your job is to survive, stand in the open until you partners can peel, then run away behind a pillar. Then when they get to you again, you have to run back in the open to a different pillar probably while your partners peel more. Death Knights and Warriors are your worst nightmare.

Your spec is the same one I use.

What I do with my gems is:
    Yellow sockets: Resilience(jc gems here)
    Red sockets: Intellect/resilience
    Blue sockets: Intellect/spirit or Intellect/hit rating if needed.

Also, you're using another PvP trinket so you may not need as much resilience in your gems as I do. I use Darkmoon Card: Tsunami, which is the best 2nd trinket in PvP for any healer.

I don't speak German, though, I think you're not hit capped. Hit cap could mean getting a hex off to win games or for your survival. It's pretty crucial.
    Last edited by Whisperawr; 2011-08-23 at 09:05 PM.

Deleted
    You will most likely always be the focus of double melee teams and that should be what they are doing.
    Ye.. thats what happens in 90% of the cases if we play against another double melee team. If we play against dual caster like mage/wl, and if we lose, we lose cause I get cced or silenced the fuck outta the game. My guys are on the wl e.g., I stay behind a pillar or the coffin thing in the UC arena, as soon as I get in sight of my partners to throw a heal, of course with a grounding totem in my back, I still get cced or silenced. Either wl pet silence, mage silence, sheep or cyclone. One of this is bound to come through.
    My paladin partner then says I have no movement. :S Maybe he is right, but everytime Im trying to defend my position, they say that I block every critizism. I guess some ppl actually think its easy to heal in arenas as a shaman. In theory it may be, but in the action you not only have to watch everyones health, including the health of the opponents to time a hex or whatever, but you also have to dispell yourself + partners and purge in nuke phases. Or Im just a noob. And I get yelled at if I dont chain dispell my warrior when we fight against mage + anything.
    Tell me pls if Im seriously wrong or noobish here.

@Laylie + Whisperawr

Thanks for the tips with the gameplay and the gems! I thought of aiming at 4k resi and putting everything else into mastery/int, to help more with survival in quick fights. Cause if we lose against double melee teams, it aint cause Im going oom.

Your partners need to peel. End of story. Ur comp isn't that good tbh. It has potential but rshamans are way stronger with casters. Although replacing ur ret with a feral works better. Iono if they're ur rl friends or not but ya. Its very normal to die quick with 2 melee on u don't worry. NS is useless when u have a dk stacking necrotic on u with him and another melee beating on u. Just try ur best its rough without a cd like bubble tree form or ps. If u can find a lock or mage for mls or lock and rogue for rls those are very strong with a shaman. Or just have ur teammates learn to peel! =)
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Quote Originally Posted by Andyclan View Post
    It has potential but rshamans are way stronger with casters. Although replacing ur ret with a feral works better. Iono if they're ur rl friends or not but ya.
    I have to agree and disagree. While having casters as a R shaman are good I prefer to run Shadowcleave. I have ran TSG and hated it to know end so I prefer one melee and one caster. Though Starting next week I will be running with a frost mage and a shadowpriest. We will be doing competitive Arenas and are shooting for around 2500+ Only played at 2200 on a warrior back in wrath but got my shaman to 1800 in a matter of 2 hours which was not hard at all.

But running with 2 melee is incredibly difficult I would say drop the ret for a DK or a feral so you can have some sort of CC. I prefer the DK since they have a silenc an interrupt and a hard CC. Its choice but really don't expect to get to 2k easily with this comp.

Edit: Andy that is the best signature ever! Made me laugh so much.

Deleted
    Yeah well they are RL friends.. so we gotta do the best we got. But thx for the infos, makes me feel not too bad anymore. :>

Deleted
    There's nothing wrong with the comp. If you're getting focused the pala should be giving you freedoms while the warrior can imp. hamstring/throwdown and the ret can use repentance/HoJ. At the end of the day you don't necessarily need both melee being peeled off you as you can live with one on you unless you're low or if you're bad at fake casting.

The best way would be to get on top of the damage by having your 2 melee go really offensive from the off, and you do the same. Your warrior and pala can provide a lot of burst, and if you can force another dps to pop defensive's because you're hexing/shearing the healer then their damage instantly gets a lot easier to handle.

Just try and read the situation, communicate with your melee about what you want and you'll do fine.
    2k is more than easy to achieve with this comp.