Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    It's a lot cheaper to spend a little extra now then buy a new PSU in a few months if upgrades are needed, I didn't expand my point very well, I apoligise.
    Fine, apology accepted. But please explain to me what "upgrades" that will require some 350W? Again, unless he plan to go SLI or crossfire, anything above a 600W PSU is completely wasted (or even a good 500W PSU). The rig he plan to build will use around 380-400W at absolute max load.

So, again, what upgrades?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Fine, apology accepted. But please explain to me what "upgrades" that will require some 350W? Again, unless he plan to go SLI or crossfire, anything above a 600W PSU is completely wasted (or even a good 500W PSU). The rig he plan to build will use around 380-400W at absolute max load.

So, again, what upgrades?
    Maybe it's my mindset but buying a PSU means it's going to move from PC to PC, and yes I was thinking of multi GPU's. It's better to spend an extra $30 now then another $200 in a year or so.

Deleted
    Maybe it's my mindset but buying a PSU means it's going to move from PC to PC, and yes I was thinking of multi GPU's. It's better to spend an extra $30 now then another $200 in a year or so.
    The OP states clearly that he is on a tight budget:
    "it comes to just over £700 and i can't really afford more than an extra £50 on top and even then i would prefer not to if this build was ok"
    And you recommend him to pay "$30" extra just for some increased upgrade potential in future rigs? Come on.

The OP states clearly that he is on a tight budget:
    "it comes to just over £700 and i can't really afford more than an extra £50 on top and even then i would prefer not to if this build was ok"
    And you recommend him to pay "$30" extra just for some increased upgrade potential in future rigs? Come on.
    The conversion rate means it'd be ~ an extra 15 pounds not exactly impacting the extra budget but I'm not going to get into some pointless internet forum argument with you. We both know what we're talking about and I just expressed my opinion, can we leave it at that.

Deleted
    The conversion rate means it'd be ~ an extra 15 pounds not exactly impacting the extra budget
    As computer parts are a lot cheaper in the US compared to in the EU, it's actually closer to 30 pounds. And that's 30 pounds added to an already slim budget. Not to mention that it adds 350W that he might never ever even use (and those 30 pounds can go to a better HDD, more RAM or even add a bit for a better GPU). Thus, wasted.

As computer parts are a lot cheaper in the US compared to in the EU, it's actually closer to 30 pounds. And that's 30 pounds added to an already slim budget. Not to mention that it adds 350W that he might never ever even use (and those 30 pounds can go to a better HDD, more RAM or even add a bit for a better GPU). Thus, wasted.
    I'm Australian and stuff is expensive here so I was going off that.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the help guys, so glad i posted here now it's made me a lot more confident about what i'm buying and that it should all work without many problems.

Simply changing from amazon to novatech, swapping the WD to samsung spin point F3 and also picking up a cheaper DVD writer (going for the
    LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x as i wont generally be using it much) has saved me around £70 so i was wondering what you would suggest upgrading with the money i've saved.

I'm guessing the graphics card would be the best choice based on previous comments but if someone could recommend one for around £170-190 that would work well with this build would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the great advice so far, it's been a massive help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fledingale View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, so glad i posted here now it's made me a lot more confident about what i'm buying and that it should all work without many problems.

Simply changing from amazon to novatech, swapping the WD to samsung spin point F3 and also picking up a cheaper DVD writer (going for the
    LiteOn IHAS124-19 24x as i wont generally be using it much) has saved me around £70 so i was wondering what you would suggest upgrading with the money i've saved.

I'm guessing the graphics card would be the best choice based on previous comments but if someone could recommend one for around £170-190 that would work well with this build would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the great advice so far, it's been a massive help.
    Bump down the PSU to a good, but cheaper 550-600W and that should give you enough headroom to get a better videocard:

PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...U-600CXV2.html

GPU: Radeon 6950 (not sure about the quality of a "Novatech" card, it is fairly cheap which calls for either a poor heatsink or bad support/warranty)
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p.../NOV-6950.html

Edit: I don't feel confident recommending the Novatech card. Go for the Sapphire instead if you feel you have the money:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...88-05-50G.html

GPU: A 560 ti might be more within your pricerange:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...560OC-1GI.html

GPU: Or even a 6870, which is cheaper than a 560ti
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...79-09-20G.html
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-23 at 08:37 PM.