Have we seen it all?

I was born in 1980 ... my father was into computer, so since I recall I've allways add some kind of computer or console at home ... I was born with a paddle in my hand as some may say.

My question is this, have we seen it all? I mean what was the last revolution in video game since the first 3d FPS or the first mmo game the first 3D adventure ... I'm trying to remember games that brought anything new these years, but I don't find anything ...

Let's take a look at the top games coming soon:

Gow3 been there done that
    Zelda been there done that
    Uncharted 3 been there done that
    Elders scroll V been there done that
    Batman Arkam been there done that allthough I'll probably buy it coz it was very good
    Dead Island been there done that
    Deus Ex been there done that
    Rage been there done that
    Battlefield III Battlefield 3 been there done that
    DIII been there done that

Are we doomed to play the same games with better graphics over and over ?

Deleted
    Tried RTS games?

If everything else fails, there's always tetras and farmville on Facebook

10+ Year Old Account
    main stream =! top games

You should honestly think about getting
    games like Limbo or other indie titles.

Minecraft, Terraria, Magicka...

There are a ton of smaller titles which
    rely on unique and creative gameplay instead
    of flashy graphics.

edit:
    these games are usually easy to mod as well
    which gives them a lot more playtime.
    Last edited by juzalol; 2011-08-23 at 12:53 PM.

With the Kinect type technology improving I don't believe we have seen it all, not by a longshot.

I think the future of gaming is going to move towards "putting the player in the game" and we will in the not too distant future see a mixture of motion sensor technology and virtual reality to actually immerse a player in the video game they're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    main stream =! top games

You should honestly think about getting
    games like Limbo or other indie titles.

Minecraft, Terraria, Magicka...

There are a ton of smaller titles which
    rely on unique and creative gameplay instead
    of flashy graphics.

edit:
    these games are usually easy to mod as well
    which gives them a lot more playtime.
    Well I've tried limbo I have to admit this production is beautifull and the gore side is really fun, BUT still nothing new here ...
    Minecraft & Terraria: I should definitely try those but they really look ugly as shit, I know I'm contradicting myself but come on... even pong looks better.
    Magicka: think I'm gonna try this one tonight maybe it will be the one.

Thx for the tips
    Last edited by Rork; 2011-08-23 at 03:02 PM.

Deleted
    We are at the stage in game development and indeed movies and books too where origional mechanics and or story ideas are going to be few and far between. This isn't neccessiarly a bad thing it means that because they all have a similar basis, work goes more into story, character development and getting a polished product and to be honest thats what i look for when im buying a game/movie/book rather than "OMG something never done before!!".

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we are approaching a point where we graphics will continue to marginally improve while we wait for a major advancement. I think i read that basic versions of star trek holodecks could be a reality in less than 20 years. People are experimenting with them already and with platforms like kinect becoming so cheap for 3d spatial interaction, that we could see major advancements in the future.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    you haven't beaten platformers til you've beaten I Wanna Be The Guy on impossible.

Or, of course, Battletoads 2

The video game industry is mature enough that you're not likely to see many revolutionary new things or genres. You're going to see improvements to existing ones, or elements of them getting better (like what SWTOR is doing for personalized storytelling in an MMO).

Currently there is still plenty of room for motion/body tracking techs to revolutionize sports and action games, but they'll still be essentially the same games but with more immersiveness.

Deleted
    Well, I tend to think of games in the same way I'd think of books and movies...there's always a new story to tell, or an interesting way of slanting an old one.

I don't think it's so much that there aren't any ideas...but just that the big game studios (like big movie studios) are very risk averse...so they tend to go with the tried and tested technologies and the popular franchises...instead of risking their money on something original but that may or may not fly.