Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    So let me get this straight, your computer powers on stays on for 5 seconds, then shuts off, and automatically returns on a few seconds later? if that is correct, i used to get this after cold boots when i first built my computer. its something iv noticed with several asus p67 chipsets builds. not sure if its isolated to that, but i don't get that issue anymore, it was only when i first built my computer, it used to happan after the computer was off for a long time. when i first built it it occurred i was worried, but i haven't seen it since. mayby occured for a week when i was turning it off and leaving it off for long periods of times when modding the case.

can you also tell me if you have a rev B3 model motherboard.

sorry reread your post, missed the last sentence -_-.
    Last edited by shoebox; 2011-08-23 at 02:03 PM.

After the bootfail, does the computer boot normally and function completely normally?

No after the quick power switch off it turns back on and then fans / lights come on but nothing is on the screen (just "no signal")

CPU_LED red light is on and the BOOT_DEVICES_LED red light is on. I don't even get any motherboard beeps.

e.e Well, I'd make a guess that the CPU socket might have bent pins. But rather than reseat it yet I'd recommend checking literally everything else first. Have you attached the 24pin power connector, as well as the 8pin connect? And the one or two 6pin connectors required by your graphic card?

Due to how fragile the CPU socket is, I'd really like to avoid touching it if you can avoid doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Penançe123 View Post
    No after the quick power switch off it turns back on and then fans / lights come on but nothing is on the screen (just "no signal")

CPU_LED red light is on and the BOOT_DEVICES_LED red light is on. I don't even get any motherboard beeps.
    For how long are the red lights on ? Is it just for a few seconds on start up ?

Deleted
    i hd this problem a while ago, it turned out i didnt have my GPU plugged in right, i only had one of the cables plugged in instead of 2, and it did the same thing as yours, turned on for a second or two then back off.

This is definately a power issue. Since you are not getting any POST error beeps, then it can only be that the mobo is not getting power. If the problem were RAM, CPU, GPU, or mostly anthing else, you would at least be getting a beep error code. Since you aren't getting that, then it must be a problem with the power.

I suggest disconnecting everything except the ATX power connectors, and the Front panel connections. Try turning on the PC then. Make sure that both the 24 pon and 8 pin power connectors are connected. If I snagged the correct manual off ASUS, they should be the ones labled 2 in your manual.

Deleted
    It is not always a power issue, on 3 separate occasions I have had people asking for my help with this EXACT issue and 2 out 3 of those times it was due to the RAM being incorrectly installed. The last occasion was the user had plugged the main power cable into the Mobo but had overlooked a smalled 6 pin power connector which also had to be plugged in....

I suggest the OP reads the Motherboard manual again.

I had a similar problem however not exactly the same - by not same I mean it would shut off within 5 seconds but wouldnt come back on automatically. I had forgotten to add the cooling gel between the processor fan and the processor chip. And the processor kept overheating which caused the failsafe to kick in and not letting the system to boot up. Sorry if this was irrelevant. But sometimes its the simplest of things causing issues.

Deleted
    Did you put the 8pin power cable into the cpu? else try takeing it out look for bend pins, reapply thermal greese and put it back in right.

You gave power to the HDD? it needs a sata cable to mobo and a power cable from the PSU

- Could also be a dead mobo, atleast mine were when i had same issue (try with another mobo)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by absynth View Post
    Sounds like your RAM is in the wrong slots... If you board has different colour slots try moving them over uniform into the other colour.

Your welcome.
    Saying 'you're welcome' before we even know what the issue turned out to be, which it seems is not the RAM, I would know because I know most Asus P67 motherboards will do this at some point, usually the first couple weeks of owning it, it happened to me. Your comment was a bit snide and no one likes it when people go ahead and say you're welcome before they've been thanked. I realize you're only trying to help, but give him a chance to respond next time before you go boasting your pride and thinking he won't be thankful.

Oh I'm such a nit-picker. :3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

OK all well thanks for the help. After about an hour of messing around (unplugging / replugging stuff in) I just decided to start from scratch and re-did everything and it's working!

The only error I get now in bios is CPU fan error! (it beeps maybe 4-5 times pretty fast) apart from that it's all good.
    Last edited by Penançe123; 2011-08-23 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    I had the exact same thing with a Gigabyte motherboard. It turned out the motherboard was broken and I got a replacement. Seems to work fine now.

Same happened to me, seems if u put some of the screws in the motherboard a bit dodgy or too tight it can short it out and cause problems. Glad u sorted it mate