Deleted

idle and full load temps

i know the full loads on my machine are fine; currently only around 55-60 celcius after 30 mins of prime95 running, but is there a temp you should aim for when the machine is idle? right now the lows are around 40 degrees, so there isn't much difference between low and high. will keeping a system at these somewhat higher idle temps make a difference in the long run or don't they matter much? trying to get my system as stable as possible so any help would be awesome.

here's the temp screenshot. this is on an i52500k @ 4.2ghz.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really shouldn't matter too much, but you can get better idle temps by improving air flow in your case, having a better HSF, and lower ambient temperatures. What is the temperature of the room it's in?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    quite warm and stuffy in here, but i set a custom fan profile to only use 25% of speed until the CPU is 40 degrees (and 100% at 70 degrees) to try and keep the noise down when i'm watching a movie for example. a blazing cooler is annoying. :P that's why i'm asking for opinions on a decent/safe idle temp so i can have a play around with the smart fan control to get lower idle temps. (if it's needed)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'd mind if my cpu sat at 50C idling.. 40C is by no means going to hurt your chip at all, and not worth beating up your poor ear drums over.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    quite warm and stuffy in here, but i set a custom fan profile to only use 25% of speed until the CPU is 40 degrees (and 100% at 70 degrees) to try and keep the noise down when i'm watching a movie for example. a blazing cooler is annoying. :P that's why i'm asking for opinions on a decent/safe idle temp so i can have a play around with the smart fan control to get lower idle temps. (if it's needed)
    Yeah, should be alright then. If it's a pretty warm temperature in there you're going to have higher idle temps, no air cooler will make it colder than what the room is set at
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard