Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    My guy and I game together. I have always like video games, but am also rather cheap, so he is more experienced/has played longer. Luckily we seem to have the same interests, or at least enough to give almost any game a shot.

Currently our set up is a large desk with both our computers set up side-by-side and a couch in front of the desk for our chairs. It works great. If we are playing something together we can see eachother's screens and easily reach over and click a button or two as needed. Sometimes we play the same game, sometimes we do our own thing, but the side by side set up works rather well for us. For the OP it would actually work well. You could set your GF up on her system playing Mass Effect while you do your own thing. Since you have played it you can help as needed, she can get practice with a shooter, find what works for her, and if you start getting irritated you can avert your eyes back to your own screen.

He really does not have the patience for games like WoW that take planning or coordination. He prefers to actually get in the game, play, then log off with nothing else. I actually enjoy other aspect of WoW, I like achievements, I don't even mind farming, so I guess that part is different, even if he was the one that got me started in WoW.

In a lot of ways we like very similar games just play them differently. With an RPG he will dive in and just play, does not care much if stuff is missed, and if he gets lost somewhere that is a higher level, he is even happier. Me, I like to read about secrets and such and try to get a more complete game. I hate getting into a game then reading that there is some really cool thing i could have done/been doing but did not know, so i just read up first. I also tend to enjoy leveling more than he does. I would rather run around and be overpowered on the boss, he would rather just try the boss and not care if it is a long fight, me I like to be overpowered. I also read up on it because if I don't I end up spending hours running around clicking on everything I can find since I just don't trust games to not have secrets, and left to my own mind there is no end to the ideas of pixel looks off, or what strange combination of actions at a certain pixel might yield some other result. Often what happens is he gets me to play a game he likes, I end up liking it, reading about it, and then start telling him stuff that he did not know about.

The other thing I have noticed is out attitudes to mana. He frequently ends up favoring mage type characters as magic is powerful in games. I tend to avoid magic characters as I tend to get too preoccupied with mana conservation to use it often enough to be useful - I hate getting low on mana, so I tend to use it far too sparingly. Again I am just a bit more conservative and he is more the "who cares let's just see what happens" type.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am yet another with a husband who is tank, but I am a shadow priest (NEVER heal on her) BUT we are currently lvling vise versa- him a pally healer and me a druid bear and I am LOVING it. We started off in vanilla and I think we are both definitely interested in what the other person has played for years (I was a tree back then, dps since Wrath). We are end-game raiders and he is GM. It's interesting to play together but we both play separately, too. As far as other games, he likes strategy games and I have never played another game, ever. I am a marathon runner and student so I don't think I will ever deliberately sink so much of my time into a videogame. I hope.

As far as classes (at 85) we are kinda stereotypical:
    Me: Spriest, tree, hunter, mage, DK, 45 tank druid (range heals range range [not touched] tank)
    Him: Prot War, DK, Rogue, Lock, Resto Sham (was enhance for 3 years), 45 holy pally (tank, melee, melee, range, heal/melee, heal)
    Last edited by Nymie; 2011-08-23 at 09:26 PM.

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

10+ Year Old Account
    My boyfriend and I started playing WoW together somewhat early into our relationship. I sucked at it at first, but now I'm a fairly decent dps. I favor melee characters but I'm trying out some caster/ranged classes. I mostly DPS/PVP on my Death Knight. He is also a DK (hurr) but he is mainly a tank and a PVPer (my 2v2 partner) He has some healer alts, though. Sometimes we fight over the game because he'll suicide me in PvP or try to tell me how to play my class when I'm already aware of how to, but other than that we usually have fun together.

Yup. Every single game we play together. If it's a single player game we buy one copy on my steam and share it through offline mode. If it's MP we play together.

Most recently... fruit ninja on the xbox kinect LOL fun.

I do play games with her. However most console games that require dual analog she gets a bit tripped up on... Recientally she has gotten into WoW though so that's a bonus for me =)

My wife plays EvE.

Things can get difficult.
    Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdearg View Post
    I don't play WoW with her, but I do play some games. Borderlands is currently our favorite game to play together. She loves it.
    Awesome game... The wife and I play it some, but she has yet to make it all the way through (we've restarted a few times)... And ya, we played WoW together, and a few others... both eagerly awaiting GW2, but likely we'll get to max then she'll stop, and I'll lvl another char, then stop until they have some kind of end game : ) Grinding for gear may suck, but grinding for coloured gear with the same stats? Bleh...

-Alamar

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My boyfriend and i look for games we can play together. Unfortunately co-op games are near impossible to find these days with the exception of mmo's.

Well, I haven't met 'the one' yet, but she has to be fairly interested in games. So I gues that in a future plan I will play with her.

We play RTS together. Versus computer or other friends only, no laddering.
    Also do some platforms. Co-op or observation mode