Ret Old Raid Solo Guide

First of all I want to give credit to Asrialol for giving me the idea on the hunter forums. GJ on that thread!

Hello all, I wanted to make a guide on what and how to solo all old raids as ret. With 4.2 with both gear and changes to ret. It is much stronger to solo now as ret more so then protection.

With the upcoming changes in 4.3 I'm sure a lot of you paladins out there want your T2 Set and T6 Set. Let me be the first to tell you I got my thunderfury before my full T2 set so good luck on that!

4.3 - Selfless Healer Buff / 200% crit heals

Here is the spec I use and recommend.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sbhbZobZcbGsdksbfz:Roc

Gems - I prefer Str/Crit down the board. But some people enjoy all str or all crit. Crit is important due to self healing, you need crits and you will need them a lot.

Gear - I mix and match PvE Gear I can acquire outside of raids and ruthless gear. I don't raid sooooo yeah...

Enchants - Honestly this is up to you. It really won't make or break you.

Rate of difficulty from 1-7 (7 being hardest)

If boss is impossible I will mark it "impossible" Impossible being that you need 2 or more members due to raid mechanics.

Vanilla Content

Molten Core
    This is just as easy as kara IMO.

Lucifron - Difficulty: 1
    Magmadar - Difficulty: 1
    Gehennas - Difficulty: 1
    Garr - Difficulty: 1
    Shazzrah - Difficulty: 1
    Baron Geddon - Difficulty: 1
    Golemagg the Incinerator - Difficulty: 1
    Sulfuron Harbinger - Difficulty: 1
    Majordomo Executus - Difficulty: 1
    Ragnaros - Difficulty: 1

Blackwing Lair

Razorgore the Untamed - Difficulty: Impossible

Vaelastrasz the Corrupt - Difficulty: 2 - Blow all CD's and then bubble at end so you do not die.

Broodlord Lashlayer - Difficulty: 1

Firemaw - Difficulty: 1

Ebonroc - Difficulty: 7 - This guy is somewhat easy once you know what you are doing. There is a nice video on how to, using sacred shield, bubble, and Hand of Protection, kiting and using the ledge to your advantage. I will post this after I create this thread.

Flamegor - Difficulty: 1

Chromaggus - Difficulty: 3 - Use hourglass sand on the bronze debuff. Cleanse the green debuff asap.

Nefarian - Difficulty: 1 - Tank and spank

The Burning Crusade
    Note: All heroic dungeons should be easily solo-able.

Karazhan

I'm not going in to detail about kara. It is very easy to solo all, the only challenging fight is chess which is still a pushover.

Gruul's Lair

High King Maulgar - Difficulty: 7 - I've yet to solo this fight. Basically I build up holy power with the trash before the fight, then nuke the priest, praying I get him down, then continue to die. I'm still looking into this.

Gruul the Dragonkiller - Difficulty: 1 - Tank and spank

Magtheridon's Lair

Magtheridon - Difficulty: 3 - Off the start you nuke the adds, single target. Its not a big deal if the adds dont die, I personally like killing them though.

Serpentshrine Caverns

Hydross the Unstable - Difficulty: 2
    The Lurker Below - Difficulty: 4 - Kill adds quickly and rinse and repeat. Its easy once you get it down.

Leotheras the Blind - Difficulty: 3 - If stacks get to high during demon phase you can bubble out of it. 50% of his health I bubble usually. Then continue to kill him.

Fathom-Lord Karathress - Difficulty: ?? I've yet to kill him. Still looking into it.

Morogrim Tidewalker - Difficulty: 2

Lady Vashj - Difficulty 7 - With 4.2 You can now move with a tainted core. However if to many adds make it to kael you will not survive phase 3. This is doable now but you gotta execute it perfectly.

Tempest Keep: The Eye

Void Reaver - Difficulty: 2

Al'ar - Difficulty: 1

High Astromancer Solarian - Difficulty: I never solo this guy because I do not care. I only solo the other 2 for room for kael fight.

Kael'thas Sunstrider - : Difficulty 7 This fight is a lot of RNG. But very doable once you have the mechanics down. It's time consuming but after you bash your head against the keyboard enough you will be doing it easily every week. Here's a good video for it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aApK...layer_embedded

Hyjal Summit

Rage Winterchill - Difficulty: 4 This is doable but you have to be quick to not stand in DnD, plus the iceblocks are just annoying as hell. I usually just bring someone to kill him quick.

Anetheron - Difficulty: 3 (Kill Infernals asap, and it's a win)

Kaz'rogal - Difficulty: 1

Azgalor - Difficulty: ??? Haven't tried to solo yet

Archimonde - Difficulty: 5 Tears, trinket, bubble, rinse repeat. Took me a few tries.

The Black Temple

High Warlord Naj'entus - Difficulty: Impossible due to raid mechanics.

Supremus - Difficulty: 3 - Some heavy healing but doable

Shade of Akama - Difficulty: 1 Easiest fight in here.

Teron Gorefiend - Difficulty: 4 - Very healing intensive but doable, just use CD's accordingly

Gurtogg Bloodboil - Difficulty: ?? - Haven't tried yet

Reliquary of Souls - Difficulty: - Impossible due to lack of interupts.

Mother Shahraz - Difficulty: ? - Haven't tried

The Illidari Council - Difficulty: ??? I haven't tried this but I'm going to say impossible for a pally.

Illidan Stormrage - Difficulty: 7 - Still working on this but I know its doable

Sunwell Plateau

I haven't even attempted sunwell yet but I will update when I can.

Kalecgos & Sathrovarr - Difficulty: Impossible
    Brutallus - Difficulty: Impossible
    Felmyst - Difficulty: ????
    Alythess & Sacrolash - ????
    M'uru / Entropius - Difficulty: ????
    Kil'jaeden - Difficulty: I know we can.

Wotlk

I will update this section soon, as i know we can solo a lot I just have time constraints and I would much rather solo the older raids as compared to wotlk raids.

F.A.Q

Q: What Seal should I use?
    A: Seal of truth all the way, unless you are in a tight situation.

Q: Why do you say Ret is better then Prot?
    A: You can kill stuff a lot quicker, and we now have more self healing then prot does.

Q: Why solo old raids?
    A: Honestly it is now my favorite thing to do with the ret changes. It's a challenge on some aspects, seeing how I don't raid anymore.

Q: What's you Ilvl?
    A: 371

Q: What gear/gemming/enchants do you use? Read the top ^^^
    A: I get laughed at a lot in town because I gem Str/Crit down the board. People like lawllllll fail pally l2 gem str. Little do they know that all I do is arena, just for points, and solo old raids.
    Last edited by scdogg44; 2011-08-24 at 04:01 PM.

You're wrong about Mag. You might as well keep all of the adds up and Divine Storm. Before they nerfed the gold drop, I did it weekly. I never killed the adds, just DS'd and killed Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Norech View Post
    You're wrong about Mag. You might as well keep all of the adds up and Divine Storm. Before they nerfed the gold drop, I did it weekly. I never killed the adds, just DS'd and killed Mag.
    So waste time and wait for mag to spawn, and then follow to use divine storm prolonging the fight even more. That's your preference I'm fine with it, just please don't call me wrong because I do things differently and faster

Out of curosity could i get your amory link im curius about your gear (please excuse my spelling/grammar)

yes armory link would help

Eternal Glory is crap for ret, honestly. Those points would probably be better off in Divinity.

Nice overview, I'm usually runnin around old raids with the missus on her lock, and I'm currently Holy, might go ret to duo some of the stuff. They really need to remove the Mind control thingy from kael tho

10+ Year Old Account
    I've managed to solo Sartharion back before the prot changes came in to effect (that was with 0 dragons alive).

So as ret I would assume that this boss would be possible, just need to avoid fire walls and nuke the adds down.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkfoot82 View Post
    Nice overview, I'm usually runnin around old raids with the missus on her lock, and I'm currently Holy, might go ret to duo some of the stuff. They really need to remove the Mind control thingy from kael tho
    You can LoS the mind control. 2manning Kael should be possible and relatively simple with basically any class plus a paladin of some spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    We are gunna use some dust brown to paint some happy little tornados here, and one more here. Then we are going to use some white to paint happy little wind blasts here. Just dab the brush along the base of al akir, and there you have it. THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Ciah View Post
    You can LoS the mind control. 2manning Kael should be possible and relatively simple with basically any class plus a paladin of some spec.
    I have a couple nice videos of 2 manning kael. You basically just watch for when he says "obey me" and the healer you have uses the statue to los it. However if you have the dps you can easily solo.

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 06:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Eternal Glory is crap for ret, honestly. Those points would probably be better off in Divinity.
    My personal preference, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

I will be updating the thread more tonight. I will link armory when I get home. I currently am sitting in town with my birthday suit on and specced for pvp.

Yeah, i tried a couple of times to solo Kael last night. Had difficulty dpsing the adds down/survivng to phase 4 with my cds still available. It seems my gear is simply not good enough, Season 9 sword ftl. Paid a mage to come with me and duo'd it fine, but hoping to upgrade my gear soon so I can be self-reliant.

Deleted
    Very nice post.
    I will definately subscribe this for my next holiday when im bored and in need of gold!

Alltough i mostly pull the whole room in molten core to just divine storm and loot some gold/silver for my achievement.