Thread: Arcane AoE

Arcane AoE

Hi,

I have recently started playing my mage again and did a couple of dungeons and noticed I wasn't doing allot of AoE damage (trash packs in utgarde keep @ level 70) even though I am full epic in comparison to other classes. Am I doing something wrong or is it just my level? I heard I should stack arcane blast to 4 and then spam Arcane Explosion but the 4 stack only lasts 6 seconds so that isn't really worth it? I'm currently just using arcane explosion when there are 4+ mobs else my single target dps is higher. And also; how is arcane AoE (in comparison to others) doing @ level 85 heroics at the moment?

Sorry for all these questions but I only saw frost PvE guides stickied.

~Gathrax

get to 4 stacks of AB then spam arcane explosion 4 or 5 times, then another AB to refresh stacks, repeat

As the last poster pointed out, keeping your AB up to 4 stacks in between AE is the way to go, but this is often easier said than done. It helps to have an elite among the trash you can target to refresh your AB stacks, but more often than not, with everyone targetting normal mobs, you will not be able to target something to refresh your AB stack before it dies. I've learned to live with having awkward/poor aoe and will mostly just single target anything less than 5 mobs.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually you'll want to refresh around 3-4. You can get a max of 4 AE's out before having to refresh if you have good latency, if not then just cast 3 and refresh. The talent is also key to getting more out before having to refresh, and less threat=win especially in heroics.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the above poster said. Don't be afraid to refresh your stack earlier (especially if you think the packs will die right after you run out of ABx4stack but have no time to refresh the stack.) Also the AE talent is key.

Deleted
    By refreshing your AB stack every 3-4 AE you can keep it up indefinitely, you will not lose any mana either.

If you don't have the AE talent then it's 3; if you do, you can go with 4. If you have PoM ready, it's 4/5 instead of 3/4.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

like the posters above me said, get 3-4 stacks of the AB "debuff" and hit your AE button like crazy till you need to refresh those stacks.
    espically if you have 2/2 in 'Improved Acrane Explosion' then mana isn't gonna to be an issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
    If you don't have the AE talent then it's 3; if you do, you can go with 4. If you have PoM ready, it's 4/5 instead of 3/4.
    It all depends on your haste. If you don't have T11 4-set bonus, I doubt you can push 4-5 AB before it falls off, even with 20 ms.

hes talking about lvl 70 aoe in reg UK, so t11 is kinda not gonna happen

there are few situations you will run into while running lvling dungeons where the trash doesnt die before you get to build up the stack you need to do much arcane dps

so all i can suggest is to not worry about the dps meters while aoeing on trash, since everything is dying quickly and thats almost always a good thing
    or go fire and have some ridiculous aoe on trash, then go arcane for single target boss fights

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know this stuff, topic has been helpful =D Here I thought spamming Blizzard from distance would be best:P (no I don't raid on my mage yet:P)
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Thanks for the replies all, all my questions are answered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Didn't know this stuff, topic has been helpful =D Here I thought spamming Blizzard from distance would be best:P (no I don't raid on my mage yet:P)
    Flame Strike/Blizzard is still pretty decent, it also get you less killed on scorpion trash in FL Although I got unlimited guild repair so I don't care

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maples View Post
    Flame Strike/Blizzard is still pretty decent, it also get you less killed on scorpion trash in FL Although I got unlimited guild repair so I don't care
    Yeah in fairness I use Blizzard when weak mobs need AoE'ing from a distance. For example the Spiderlings on Beth'tilac.

When the option is to either run all the way over, AE, and run back or to just use Blizzard (neither particularly appealing) I just go for the more flexible (read: lazy) option.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not playing an 85 mage, but you can't have it all in 1 spec. Fire is the best AOE spec. Master it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gathrax View Post
    Hi,

I have recently started playing my mage again and did a couple of dungeons and noticed I wasn't doing allot of AoE damage (trash packs in utgarde keep @ level 70) even though I am full epic in comparison to other classes. Am I doing something wrong or is it just my level? I heard I should stack arcane blast to 4 and then spam Arcane Explosion but the 4 stack only lasts 6 seconds so that isn't really worth it? I'm currently just using arcane explosion when there are 4+ mobs else my single target dps is higher. And also; how is arcane AoE (in comparison to others) doing @ level 85 heroics at the moment?

Sorry for all these questions but I only saw frost PvE guides stickied.

~Gathrax
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

buff arcane AoE plx

Buff? Why?

Arcane AoE is in a very good place - no reason to muck with that spec at all. Strongest single target and very solid on demand AoE.

I <3 my fire, and its AoE has the highest potential - but it's very much dependent upon ignite and impact procs, and the loss of single target deeps don't make up for the AoE potential.

Regardless - as noted, spec Imp AE, and enjoy spamming AE in melee range!
    Just another bad mage playing his class badly...
    Worst Mage EVAR!

10+ Year Old Account
    As most everyone else stated it just takes some getting used to. I'm rolling fl with 4p t11 still since I dont wanna break my set bonus so that helps out a bit. Once I get my t12 bonuses then that will change and ill have to use less ae's and refresh a bit sooner. Until then I get to sit back and watch my ~1sec ab cast :P