Page 1 of 49
... LastLast

PC Gamer Elitism?

Recently I have noticed a wave of PC gamers who have a sudden hatred for console gamers and consoles in general. When reading
    discussions about games like Battlefield 3 and Dust 514, I'm seeing many PC gamers claiming that "nobody cares about consoles"
    and "why get a console when you can use your pc" - often with far more malice and uppercase letters.

Although yes, the PC is the more powerful console on a regular basic - it does not make it outright the more superior one.
    These PC gamers are often grouping console gamers as "twelve year old kids", while they themselves argue that "consoles will
    become as good as PCs when Justin Bieber hits puberty" and "the PS3 is dying" - which is obviously not a valid basic.

Some of these arguments that is simply state that "console gamers are little kids and they should grow up and play PC" are
    just ridiculous beyond belief. It makes me think that they themselves are the little kids that are either living under a rock
    or do not want to recognize that the consoles are just as good platforms in their own right. I think they are staining
    Discussions with their BS and arrogance.

I personally love both platforms equally, and I think that consoles have some great games that you simply cannot get on the
    PC - and of course vice versa. My question; what do you think of this recent wave of arrogant childish PC gamers that cannot
    Fathom the concept of opinion, and target market? - And do you think that consoles have as many positives as the PC does?

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of it has to do with the fact that all the big titles go to consoles and PC gamers get the shaft fairly often.

So PC gamers tend to be a bit biased.

Anyone with anything of material value will always argue that their's is better. It's really that simple.

EDIT: Also, PC gamers almost have a right to be angry. Some of us have watched the devolution of genres solely because of consoles.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

I like playing on a PC better than on consoles, but I don't find myself superior in any way just because I like playing on my PC better. I still play console games if I can't play them on PC. So I'm glad to have them. =)

PC's will always better then consoles for one reason. Upgradabilty, you can always change how the pc works and what it runs on, but the console will stay the same untill a new one comes out. Also the fact that many "kids" don't know how computers work, like you can just turn on your xbox, pop in a game and start, but with a computer you have to sign in start the computer turn on addon's so many other things that other people don't know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consoles are limited compared to PC's in many ways: You can't upgrade them till next-gen, you can't mod them as easily, a mouse is generally, in FPS terms, more accurate.

To be honest, PC's will always be more dominant in terms of quality but the console market is becoming so popular now that I think it will be soon before you can upgrade a graphics card inside one but then again I'm not to techy when it comes to consoles so I don't know how hard that would be.
    Hey everyone

It usually comes down to the fact that PC games are optimized, usually, for a keyboard and mouse.

Unless you're superhuman, a great keyboard and mouse combination will always destroy a great controller. Games are just plain more awesome on PC. There are very rare exceptions, but in those cases...put a controller on your PC.

Edit: Also...the more complicated the game, the more difficult it would be to actually properly put on a console. Limitations in the engines, hardware, controllers, etc. Remember strategy games on consoles? Me neither. They were horrible. It's just less efficient to have more going on, when don't have unlimited remappings available.

Deleted
    I love my X-Box when it comes to games like Devil May Cry, Splatterhouse, Dead Rising or Need for Speed.

But shooters on a console? I just can't get used to it, even the AFKers are save from me as I hit NOTHING when playing with a controler.
    That's when I love my PC again.

A lot of games are ported over to PC from their console version, so those games don't take full advantage of the graphics a good system can handle. It's like a cheap knockoff version for PC gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    A lot of games are ported over to PC from their console version, so those games don't take full advantage of the graphics a good system can handle. It's like a cheap knockoff version for PC gamers.
    Or they're made with 'consoles in mind' and released simultaneously, only to eventually get a patch to make them take advantage of real hardware.

Looking right at you, Crysis 2. Or they could be just awesome and delayed due to console versions that nobody wants. Looking right at you, Torchlight 2.

Or they could just plain rock. Looking right at you, Aliens. Wait, that was a movie.

Deleted
    just dont indulge in the nonsense - some game are better on pc, others are better on console. simples

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I own a few consoles and keep finding myself coming back to PC. The only reason i have any acerbic words for consoles, or console gamers, is that PC games are becoming regurgitated filth that is ported from a console. Dungeon Siege 3 is horrible, IMHO, compared to the fun that i had playing through 1 and 2. The list is getting longer with more games, that have control systems that are designed for console, or gamepad use. FPS games are far more accurate with a mouse and keyboard, and allow faster moving and reacting. I have played games on consoles that i have enjoyed, loved even. But while companies don't see it as two different markets, the PC will suffer. Fortunately, BF3 is built for PC! So rejoice, and get your pre-orders done!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    just dont indulge in the nonsense - some game are better on pc, others are better on console. simples
    What games are better on consoles? the console exclusive games? well why would that be huh? maybe because they aren´t released on the Pc? and if your talking about the controller you can pretty much use a Xbox controller for a Pc or buy one that looks just like it.

for one is even better than a Xbox controller, even has a built in fan for sweaty hands.
    Last edited by Torched; 2011-08-24 at 04:06 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

The advantage of consoles is in price to performance during the year they come out, and simplicity. The advantages of PCs are... everything else.

It still requires a fair amount of technical knowledge and work to build and maintain a good gaming PC, while consoles are obviously plug and play. But in terms of performance, flexibility, complexity... not to mention the redundancy of buying a console which nowadays is identical in loadout to a home computer...

There are so many limitations to the consoles. You can't hook up a keyboard and mouse, or god forbid a USB wifi dongle for your 360. I can hook up a controller- in fact, all the of the current-gen consoles use PC standards for their controllers, so you could tape a wiimote to your PS3 controller to use for aiming while having access to dual analogs and sixaxis motion sensing, if there was a game that needed all that.

Also, because Steam rocks shit. I loved Nintendo for many years prior to the Wii and them giving gamers like me the finger; now I have Steam to pipe me hot gaming love dirt cheap.

So why own three mostly-identical lumps of plastic AND a PC when you could just have a good PC?

Oh, right. Because a lot of high-profile titles have their exclusivity bought by a console maker.

Sigh.

Seems like a pretty silly argument. I use my PC for a lot of gaming, but I use my PS3 just as much, they're both good. Besides, every console now is, or can be, connected to the internet and download updates, so that's no long a part of the argument.

I should also add that a large part of it for me is long-term sustainability. Consoles stop being manufactured and break down; software, with enough hacking and patching, is forever. So at the time that my laptop was only as powerful as my 360, I still bought games like Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed for PC instead, because I knew that in a few years (now) I could put together a cheap desktop and run those games in gorgeous graphics. But I like playing old-but-good games, whereas a lot of gamers don't hook up their Super Nintendo to their HDTV and... yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrocurious View Post
    People are elitist about certain things with PC games, because they ARE elite. In every way. It's like comparing a Lamborghini to a Kia.
    But I can Park a Kia in a small parking space, Can't do that with a lambo

I belive the main problem is that PC's are so much more expensive than consoles, for the price of a semi decent GFX card you can buy a console, For a Good Gaming PC you could buy a couple of consoles + games. This along with the way that games are released on one format and not another genrally keeps both markets happy.

Which is better though ? in my opinion PC, but then I do a lot more than game on my PC, I use it for TV, Video calls with family, games, Movies, Music. and much much more. granted some of this can be done on a console, however its a lot easier to do on a PC.

So Consoles are limited in there application out side of there main purpose, cheap, and pretty much impossible to upgrade.
    PC's have unlimited potential in there applications, maximum upgradeable potential however are more expensive.

Yes PC users could be considered the "Elite" of the formats, but consoles have a very real place in home too. Example, I would rather a child have use of a console simply due to the fact that if they break it then its not a major problem to go out an buy a new one, send it for repair etc. where as breaking a PC could cost enough to replace 2 or 3 consoles

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    OOr they could be just awesome and delayed due to console versions that nobody wants. Looking right at you, Torchlight 2.
    Don't forget Dungeon Defenders! ;_; I've been waiting since it's announcement, only to have release date after release date pushed back solely because of Trendy's want for their game to be on XBLA. >.>

I have a gaming PC, a PS3, a 360, and easy access to a Wii. There is something like like about each different system. To be honest, I find that NOT having to upgrade my consoles are more of a relief then anything, and with the level of detail they can cram into console games, it's not like PC's have a huge jump on them anymore. I also absolutely prefer to us a controller for FPS's over the mouse and keyboard, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. The one thing that my PC CAN do much, much better then consoles are RTS's. I will go out of my way to play RTS's on my PC as opposed to my consoles, not that that's every really a problem. What, Supreme Commander and Command and Conquer 3 came out on consoles, and that's it.

Honestly, the PC elitism or console elitism just makes me angry. There are plenty of great games on both platforms, there is no need to be derisive about some one elses chosen system. You also can't blame consoles or console gamers for the absolute wave of crappy games. That's the developers fault, and no one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by palladiamors View Post
    Honestly, the PC elitism or console elitism just makes me angry. There are plenty of great games on both platforms, there is no need to be derisive about some one elses chosen system. You also can't blame consoles or console gamers for the absolute wave of crappy games. That's the developers fault, and no one elses.
    Developers go where the money is... actually, they go where they're told by co'prate, and that's where the money is. The money is in the thing that most people do- and most people choose the easy route for gaming.

When the elite aren't going to pay more money, why cater to them?