Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    I think the Ultramarines are dicks to be honest, Arrogant and will rarely break from the Codex Astartes.
    I don't have a problem with the Blood Ravens being the chapter for the Dawn of War games but one with Black Templars would be good :P
    I probably have to find the source; but I remember reading somewhere, that Dawn of War III was supposedly going to use a different chapter instead of the Blood Ravens. Relic or THQ did send out a survey to people who registered on their official site asking players which chapter would they prefer seeing in future games. After the voting, I believe Black Templars got the majority of the votes.

Is it just me or do the Orks sound like they're saying "Spice Marines?"
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Is it just me or do the Orks sound like they're saying "Spice Marines?"
    i'm guessing thats mainly cause of their "brittisch" accent

10+ Year Old Account
    Orks are cockney.
    More 'umies t'kill!

I want to kill Panzees in this game too. Wish they still had Chaos Stunties too, but I guess Orks will have too do. Maybe in the retail version or in multiplayer I can play as a bad ass Boss and kill the Beekies!
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by Naramar View Post
    I seem to remember that the Emperor will die one day though, only to be reincarnated to lead mankind once again.
    There are rumours of a group of inquisitors (called the illumanati) who are gathering the biological sons of the Emperor to form a group called the Sensei knights. When or if the Emperor dies the Sensei will be "sucked" in to the psychic vacuum and become a new god for humanity. The problem is the Emperor may be reborn somewhere in the Imperium, as the shaman of old used to be reborn on earth before chaos became too powerful a force in the warp to allow it and this would very likely lead to civil war in the Imperium.

There is also another conspiracy group called the Hydra who are doing some rather gnarly work with the warp, they hope that when the Emperor dies their "hydra" warp being will simulataneously connect with at least the vast majority of humanity and use their psychic energies to create a fifth chaos god.

Finally the Eldar hope to use the death of the Emperor as a catalyst for Rhana Dandra, the final battle of the galaxy where the best possible outcome is the annihilation of both warp and real-space. This may have something to do with the new eldar death-god forming in the infinity circuits of the craftworlds.

BTW this includes some heavy speculation using lore that may have stopped being canon over a decade ago.

Deleted
    Dhrizzle, or any others, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the Warhammer universe. If you were to introduce newbies to the Warhammer universe, where would you point them to? I'm only experienced with collecting a small army when I was 12-15 so I was only interested in the models and White Dwarves but didn't really pay any attention to the lore.

So after watching 15 min of gameplay then the slow reaction realizing there is a public demo, I freakin downloaded this played this and OMFG I havent been this excited for a game in a long long long time not since WoWs release. This game is going to be so much fun and I am going to replay the hell out of it!

Well the game definately looks good, I read a few of the books but never could get into them.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotai View Post
    Dhrizzle, or any others, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the Warhammer universe. If you were to introduce newbies to the Warhammer universe, where would you point them to? I'm only experienced with collecting a small army when I was 12-15 so I was only interested in the models and White Dwarves but didn't really pay any attention to the lore.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Categories

Enjoy your reading.
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

Quote Originally Posted by Scotai View Post
    Most of the major lore is found in the rule books and codices (army books). That's where you read about all the major incidents that made the galaxy the shape it is in today. What makes 40k lore so fascinating is the way it is spread about across many books spanning over two decades. For example I decided to read the lore in Codex: Necrons on a bit of a whim, I hadn't had any interest in the army but I'd run out of other stuff to read and a mate offered to lend it to me. To my surprise it detailed the origin of life in the galaxy, the creation and purpose of the eldar and orcs (amongst others) as well as the unforeseen emergence of Chaos due to these tinkerings with warp space. To my knowledge this is the only place where these things are explained in such detail, they're barely eluded to in other sources.

Anyhow, the 40k wiki has a good collection of lore. If you want some good background info for playing the upcoming game I'd recommend these pages:-

The galaxy, featuring the "in the beginning" story I mentioned earlier. Not strictly necessary but it has some great background fluff.

The Imperium of Man is the dominant force in the galaxy and beset on all sides. I'd recommend reading at least down to the end of the history and if you have the patience explore some of the organisational details.

Space Marines - the introduction to this article lays down what it is to be a space marine very well, the history is essentially what you read in the Imperium's history (every Imperium-based codex and rulebook features sections entitled "the dark age of technology", "the age of strife", "the great crusade" and "the horus heresy") with subtle variations but the lore surrounding marines is deep and this article contains a lot of information about their recruiting practices, trials and enhanced physiology. You should definitely read about the bolt-gun too.

Ultramarines! The poster boys of the Astartes, praised for being the purest, most ethical and most true to the ideals of the Codex Astartes (written by their primarch), reviled for being the most boring of all space marines. Ultramarines are actually an incredibly flexible force with a long and glorious history. Note the first 2 paragraphs of the "Horus Heresy" section contain spoilers for the Horus Heresy series of novels, and the section entitled "The Defenders of Ultramar" relates the events of the Ultramarines trilogy.

Orks - you're going to be killing a lot of these and they have some really cool background.

Chaos Marines - if it's worth making a game of, odds on chaos will turn up at some point to F S up.

If you're after some novels to read, Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" series is a great way to start. Detailing the exploits of an Imperial Guard regiment during the Sabbat Crusade it starts off as "Sharpe in space" whilst the author gets to grip with the universe and develops in to some brilliant military sci-fi that practically redefined the 40k universe. Abnett also wrote two great Inquisitor trilogies - Eisenhorn (Xenos, Hereticus and Malleus) describes the fine line an inquisitor walks between destroying heretics and becoming one whilst Ravenor (Ravenor, Ravenor Returned and Ravenor Rogue) delves in to the seedy underbelly of the Imperium.

There are also a couple of dozen books exploring the various space marine chapters (though some series carried on so long the lore - and even author - changed part way through, and we never did find out how Ragnar joine the Wolf Guard) and the Horus Heresy series is a bit of a rambling journey through the times of the Imperium's greatest catastrophe. Currently up to 16 books, set to expand to 21 in the next year.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2011-08-27 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Most of the major lore is found in the rule books and codices (army books). That's where you read about all the major incidents that made the galaxy the shape it is in today. What makes 40k lore so fascinating is the way it is spread about across many books spanning over two decades. For example I decided to read the lore in Codex: Necrons on a bit of a whim, I hadn't had any interest in the army but I'd run out of other stuff to read and a mate offered to lend it to me. To my surprise it detailed the origin of life in the galaxy, the creation and purpose of the eldar and orcs (amongst others) as well as the unforeseen emergence of Chaos due to these tinkerings with warp space. To my knowledge this is the only place where these things are explained in such detail, they're barely eluded to in other sources.

Anyhow, the 40k wiki has a good collection of lore. If you want some good background info for playing the upcoming game I'd recommend these pages:-

The galaxy, featuring the "in the beginning" story I mentioned earlier. Not strictly necessary but it has some great background fluff.

The Imperium of Man is the dominant force in the galaxy and beset on all sides. I'd recommend reading at least down to the end of the history and if you have the patience explore some of the organisational details.

Space Marines - the introduction to this article lays down what it is to be a space marine very well, the history is essentially what you read in the Imperium's history (every Imperium-based codex and rulebook features sections entitled "the dark age of technology", "the age of strife", "the great crusade" and "the horus heresy") with subtle variations but the lore surrounding marines is deep and this article contains a lot of information about their recruiting practices, trials and enhanced physiology. You should definitely read about the bolt-gun too.

Ultramarines! The poster boys of the Astartes, praised for being the purest, most ethical and most true to the ideals of the Codex Astartes (written by their primarch), reviled for being the most boring of all space marines. Ultramarines are actually an incredibly flexible force with a long and glorious history. Note the first 2 paragraphs of the "Horus Heresy" section contain spoilers for the Horus Heresy series of novels, and the section entitled "The Defenders of Ultramar" relates the events of the Ultramarines trilogy.

Orks - you're going to be killing a lot of these and they have some really cool background.

Chaos Marines - if it's worth making a game of, odds on chaos will turn up at some point to F S up.

If you're after some novels to read, Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" series is a great way to start. Detailing the exploits of an Imperial Guard regiment during the Sabbat Crusade it starts off as "Sharpe in space" whilst the author gets to grip with the universe and develops in to some brilliant military sci-fi that practically redefined the 40k universe. Abnett also wrote two great Inquisitor trilogies - Eisenhorn (Xenos, Hereticus and Malleus) describes the fine line an inquisitor walks between destroying heretics and becoming one whilst Ravenor (Ravenor, Ravenor Returned and Ravenor Rogue) delves in to the seedy underbelly of the Imperium.

There are also a couple of dozen books exploring the various space marine chapters (though some series carried on so long the lore - and even author - changed part way through, and we never did find out how Ragnar joine the Wolf Guard) and the Horus Heresy series is a bit of a rambling journey through the times of the Imperium's greatest catastrophe. Currently up to 16 books, set to expand to 21 in the next year.
    This is all pretty Legit Info, Ciaphas Cain and the Space Wolf Omnibus are also really good novels.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Did anyone notice in the last of the developers diaries certain character from demo?

You can see him here at 2:54.

It seems Inquisitor got corrupted.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    SPOILERS AHEAD:

Did anyone notice in the last of the developers diaries certain character from demo?

You can see him here at 2:54.

It seems Inquisitor got corrupted.
    Oh yeah! It's the ehm, well I know who it is but I won't spoil it for anyone that doesn't!

Deleted
    anyone from the uk have any problems getting the demo? I managed to make an account on the space marine website.. got the key code from the site which says add it to steam..
    steam says the key has already been used and its in my games library... which it is not..... any other way to get the demo?

edit..

bit of goggling and i got it sorted.. If any one else is having trouble.. just try and add the code to your steam games library.. it will say code is in use.. then open the RUN command on windows.. and put in

steam://install/55410

and hit enter.. steam promt will open asking you to hit next to download the demo

enjoy
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2011-08-28 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    and ppl who bought it from steam, pre load is up :-)