Heroic Rhyolith and Hellfire

First time poster here.

My guild is having difficulty with 10 man heroic Lord Rhyolith. My main spec is affliction, but I am doing this as Demo. I have been reviewing WoL and noticed most of our dps as Demo comes from Hellfire on this fight. Would it be better for this fight for me to keep my affliction gear/stats for more haste (for more hellfire ticks)?

Also, how do you guys handle the fragments? Our grp has the 1 tank picking them up and taking them to the side, even if the tank has a spark, which doesn't allow me to go near them to aoe. This is frustrating b/c our Spriest is pulling 25k plus, while i can't get above 17k.

Any help would be appreciated.

Logically, it sounds like Haste will benefit more on this fight only because you can't always have Meta up and Hellfire is your top damage. The first time my guild downed it, I was reforged for Aff, and was top 3 damage done, probably tied with our other Demo lock for top Fragment damage. I did it again last week reforged for Demo, and I was still top 3. I don't think you'll notice much of a change. Don't forget your Felguard will be out until the burn phase and he does a crap ton of damage AoE-wise, so don't undervalue mastery.

My guild tanks fragments on top of our stack point. Most guilds tank fragments next to melee/legs. Tanking them away seems counter-productive since you have the possibility of doing the most damage to them, but can't get close because of the spark. But with one tank, you have no choice. A spark next to anyone but the tank will for more than a few seconds will probably be a wipe and/or a waste of mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember to shadowflame off cooldown and to make sure you have your felgaurd attacking the fragments and only using felstorm from when you have a new set of fragments and otherwise spam hellfire. In between fragment waves you should be keeping at least immo and corruption on both legs and helping on the big adds when called for.

Made by dubbelbasse

I still do this fight as Demo every week and top the meters (excluding the moonkin who ignores sparks and does 4 million damage to Obsidians) every time regardless of my reforging. I'd still recommend a mastery approach because that seemed to give me better results, but my couple of kills are certainly not conclusive.

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    Remember to shadowflame off cooldown and to make sure you have your felgaurd attacking the fragments and only using felstorm from when you have a new set of fragments and otherwise spam hellfire. In between fragment waves you should be keeping at least immo and corruption on both legs and helping on the big adds when called for.
    In my guild the melee handles legs, and sparks are higher priority for us. It'll just depend on your raid comp I guess

We do the 1 tank tactic, which means that there is a spark on the fragments 50% of the time. During that time, I single target the spark, and have my felguard felstorm the fragments. When there is no spark, I shadowflame and hellfire spam.

This fight has a lot of AoE and not much single target, one of the few fights where glyph of Felguard is more beneficial than glyph of corruption.

Our guild is using 1 Dk tank and a Demo lock as well, stacking mastery, the Felguard basically solo's the fragments for her while she hellfires to finish them off. Our other ranged dps is pretty boss and kills the Spark pretty fast so she doesnt have to do much to the spark, pet dps for this fight is pretty uber.

Honestly if Hellfire ticks are stressing your healers you have bigger problems than what spec to play.

^ Not to mention that even with Soul Burn: SoC, you won't be pulling the numbers Hellfire is. And on Heroic Soul Burn won't be up for every pack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisiszone View Post
    ^ Not to mention that even with Soul Burn: SoC, you won't be pulling the numbers Hellfire is. And on Heroic Soul Burn won't be up for every pack.
    Way off topic but your sig and avatar are fucking magnificent bro.

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    Way off topic but your sig and avatar are fucking magnificent bro.
    Lol Kush<3 After a lot of hassle on the sig request forums, someone finally took me up on my request. I was ignored for about a month after I posted, and never got a reply to an artist I pm'd. Today I finally got it done ( I totally made the avatar myself but cutting a piece out in MS Paint and getting it to the right size lolol )

ON TOPIC: More hellfire, mkay. No but seriously, your strat blows half the time because you can't use Hellfire when you need to. If the Fragments seem under control, you might want to boost your damage on the fight by going Aff and multidotting the legs/Spark and helping on the Frags only if they need you.
    But I've only done it on 25, and I don't know your comp.

I actually do this fight as affliction and don't touch the fragments. We have a boomkin and shadow priest do the fragments. During the fight I keep dots rolling on both legs to keep dps even but still do damage. I then peel off and help with the sparks. This usually results in the spark dying as the fragments spawn so the tank can grab the fragments. While it's not chart topping it keeps the fight controlled and kills repeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    I actually do this fight as affliction and don't touch the fragments. We have a boomkin and shadow priest do the fragments. During the fight I keep dots rolling on both legs to keep dps even but still do damage. I then peel off and help with the sparks. This usually results in the spark dying as the fragments spawn so the tank can grab the fragments. While it's not chart topping it keeps the fight controlled and kills repeatable.
    This is what I do also. However I use a soulburned seed of corruption whenever it's off cd and fragments are up. From the third spark until the fourth I am on pretty much full time fragment duty, but keeping a few dots on the legs depending on how fast they are dying.

It's nice to be affliction going into the burn. We have a pally tank pick up the adds (they get MD'd to him if he's busy with a shard) and he tanks them on the feet, but really just anywhere. The other two we have on adds is a hunter and arcane mage.
    Last edited by Hoocha; 2011-08-25 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you're using felstorm well than a mastery build will be just fine. No need to bother reforging.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

I do this fight every week as Affliction, and we´ve never had any problems. We´ve a 3 ranged on the Fragments + Spark. Me (affliction), hunter and a Shadow Priest.

We use one tank (paladin) and have that tank always tanking fragments and spark whenever the spark is up.
    We the ranged DPS won´t touch the Fragments untill our tank has aggro.
    When the Tank has the Spark while Fragments spawn, we´ve our Hunter MD the fragments to the Tank. Meanwhile me and the SP keep dmging the Spark / legs untill the Tank has aggro on the Fragments.

edit: We have the entire raid standing close to the tank, so the fragments will have a higher chance to spawn close to the tank / hunter.
    We stack up to the right on the little "island" with only the guys on the legs being allowed to not be near the tank.
    Last edited by Drefan; 2011-08-26 at 02:09 AM.