Thread: New HDD

Deleted

New HDD

Hello MMO-Champion.

So a couple days ago my HDD broke somehow and the folks at MMO-champ suggested I buy a new HDD, so I did. and it just got here. I connect the HDD with the right cables and make sure they are in correctly, yet when I start the computer it says "BOOT FAILED: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" I'm putting my windows XP copy in the DVD-drive and before it starts it says "inf-file txtsetup.sif is missing CODE 32768"

Now I'm really bad at this stuff so would anyone be so kind to help me out a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to have to go into your BIOS and set the primary boot device as your DVD drive.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    You're going to have to go into your BIOS and set the primary boot device as your DVD drive.
    My primary boot device is CD-ROM there is no DVD-Drive, sorry kind of misspoke there.

Go Here:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/66578.htm

It will tell you exactly what to do step by step to boot from the CD-Rom and install XP. I think it's the second post down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvstec
    Its because everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake and their departure means something. facebookbabies

you have to boot from your cd-rom

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    In my experience when this message appears is due to either a scratch on the disk you are using or a faulting CD/DVD drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    In my experience when this message appears is due to either a scratch on the disk you are using or a faulting CD/DVD drive.
    Well, the disk is pretty scratched. but I'm also trying with my Windows 7 copy, i get a CODE 5 error? anyone know what error this is? it's not an original CD.

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sluddyazin View Post
    Go Here:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/66578.htm

It will tell you exactly what to do step by step to boot from the CD-Rom and install XP. I think it's the second post down.

Well, this doesn't show what to do when my error comes up, it just shows how to reformat, i already know how to do that, just don't know how to get past the error.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyroox View Post
    Well, the disk is pretty scratched. but I'm also trying with my Windows 7 copy, i get a CODE 5 error? anyone know what error this is? it's not an original CD.

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 06:07 PM ----------

Well, this doesn't show what to do when my error comes up, it just shows how to reformat, i already know how to do that, just don't know how to get past the error.
    Code 5 errors are DVD/CD related. Once again can be the copy you are using, since you have mentioned it is a burned copy. Or more likely it is a faulting CD/DVD drive.

First, not being an original Disc reeks of piracy(not saying it is) which isn't allowed on these boards. Second Windows 7 comes on DVDs, not CDs.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    First, not being an original Disc reeks of piracy(not saying it is) which isn't allowed on these boards. Second Windows 7 comes on DVDs, not CDs.
    Well yes, it is pirated. but does that matter? am I not allowed on these forums if I have a fake copy of windows?

Well yes, it is pirated. but does that matter? am I not allowed on these forums if I have a fake copy of windows?
    You are allowed here, but telling you have it is not.
    What happens if you put the disc in another PC where windows is already installed. Does Windows recognize what's on the disc?

Deleted
    They are often modified which means that they can fail to work as they should. Its also not exactly unheard of that they include very deep rootkits that anti-viruses and other anti-malware cannot remove or see.

Furthermore, some members on this board refuse to help people that they believe are using pirated or illegal software. This is an attitude thats not uncommon on computer/tech boards, and is frequently backed by rules established on the forum itself.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    They are often modified which means that they can fail to work as they should. Its also not exactly unheard of that they include very deep rootkits that anti-viruses and other anti-malware cannot remove or see.

Furthermore, some members on this board refuse to help people that they believe are using pirated or illegal software. This is an attitude thats not uncommon on computer/tech boards, and is frequently backed by rules established on the forum itself.
    Indeed reading the rules, regulations, and threads that are stickied at the top of this Computer subsection is always a good thing prior to posting.

Once again I must stand by my thought that it is either a disk or CD/DVD drive failure.

See if you can borrow a DVD-Drive from a family member, or a friend, to make sure that the Drive is the issue.

Have you, Tried installing with only the main peripherals connected? (Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor)