10+ Year Old Account

Anyone else lose their graphics card cause of NVidias newest driver updates??

So I updated my drivers on Aug 8 or w/e when they released the new ones, then BB posted that they were causing over heating issues with the cards and to roll back to the previous set. I did that, but apparently the damage had already been done, my card exploded about 20 mins ago. Any one else upset with Nvidia over this? I think they owe me a new card....seeing as their drivers caused this shit
    Warrior For Life

10+ Year Old Account
    while I'm sure the extra heat helped kill your card I doubt that's what it was... PC should cut your card off before permanent damage is done

(and if it just happened 20 minutes ago due to a heat problem why didn't you cut off your pc when you noticed how loud it was getting?)
    Last edited by Misen; 2011-08-24 at 06:17 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The information proved on BB is outdated then. While the new nVidia graphics drivers increased the temperature of the card due to it being used at its peak performance for longer periods of time the cooling was also adjusted to keep this mind. Also saying your card exploded doesn't say what actually happened. Was it a case that you did a restore to a time before the new drivers, which means the new drivers weren't at fault, was there any indications of the video card failure coming? Plenty of questions to answer before you go saying that drivers did it then putting your head in the sand.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was no indications, there was just a loud ass pop and the screen when blk and all pixelated. Heres a pic of what exploded. Never had any problems out of this card what so ever til I updated the drivers. I rolled back to the previous version as soon as I heard it was causing over-heating problems, but obviously it was too late for my case anyways.

Warrior For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Then the fault has existed from the start and has only just surfaced. Had it been the drivers that caused it, they would have gone pop when you started using them. Not to mention it's an 8800GT (or 8600GT), it's a very old card. Older they get, more likely it is caps will go.
    This would be correct, and here's a link with people having the exact issue.
    http://208.65.201.106/showthread.php?t=2121456

No clue why it uses the IP and not the domain, but it's a thread on Anand.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

So, uh, I had/have the same exact card and it did the same thing. It's so similar in fact that the same three capacitors as his blew in the same fashion. The difference being this was before the driver updates (March/April timeframe). So I think the real issue has to do with the card itself and not the drivers.

Deleted
    Well my Gainward gtx 570 started flickering after i got them new drivers, but i dont belive they killed my card (:

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Those are capacitors that popped on your video card. The 8600GT was released back in 2007. You have a higher possibility that the capacitors were bloated before the new drivers and due to the new drivers they reached their breaking point and popped. Even a new GTS450 will render you better performance than that 8600GT now.

Deleted
    OMG! Ashes! Ashes everywhere!

Btw three condensators exploded. No big deal. If you've been lucky the gpu is safe. Go right to a pc shop near you and ask politely if they can replace them. It will cost them approximately 2 dollars and 30 minutes of work.

Also, this is not new, nvidia drivers 196.xx provoked several G92 gpu "kaboom" when the 8800 GTX were the high-end gaphic card standard.

Maybe it's some conspiration *tinfoil hat* or maybe Nvidia driver makers are just to stupid to run a test on their entire setups.

It's XFX using cheap caps on that model. The link I posted is pretty much about that issue.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Or maybe, just maybe, it's not realistically fair to expect them to test on every single card, or maybe you've just not considered this little thing known as "Manfacturing defect".

NVidia don't make cards, they make chips. That's something people often forget.
    You're right, my bad! In this precise case, let's hope for OP his gpu is safe and he'll just have to get his card repaired instead of getting a new one, but as you said, if we can consider a potential manufacturign defect (even if I think on a 4 y/o card it would have shown earlier), what about all the other drivers that poses no problems? Why do they not pose problem? Because tests were somewhat rigorous about hardware stability.
    Blaming a card manufacturer about it would be like arguing over a worker who did not respect a security procedure, while the procedure not exists!

Do manufacturers (asus, gainward, xfx, gygabyte, msi...) have a word to say to Nvidia when new drivers comes out? Let me doubt about it.

So who should OP blame?

The op should blame XFX, since the cheap caps are their problem. Like i've said twice already.

i heard about the drivers acting funky with cards and fans and whatnot and decided not to update them (im usually one to update them the day theyre released, or use the beta ones for weeks beforehand just because), kinda glad i didnt bother to this time

in regards to card manufacturers, EVGA all the way
    Last edited by bargiddle; 2011-08-24 at 07:04 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    The op should blame XFX, since the cheap caps are their problem. Like i've said twice already.
    I'm not sure who's to blame, if only ispano was here to give some insight.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    just solder back on 3 new 6.3V capacitors?...

The capacitors are easily replaceable.
    And, please, clean the card before you bring it to a computer repair shop.

I just installed the new driver this weekend (been on the road) idle temp of my EVGA GTX 590 hydro copper was running a few degrees cooler than before. Couldn't say if it was because of the driver but it was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by alzagoth View Post
    I just installed the new driver this weekend (been on the road) idle temp of my EVGA GTX 590 hydro copper was running a few degrees cooler than before. Couldn't say if it was because of the driver but it was nice to see.
    This is likely because it's clocking down faster when not being used, and you have an efficient cooling system on it coupled with improvements in the drivers themselves. My GTX470 has been behaving itself very nicely, despite me upping the clocks about 33% (607 > 800)