Arcane mage stat priority?

Could someone clarify what the stat priority for Arcane mages is now? I've seen various threads saying its Haste > Crit > Mastery, or Mastery > Crit > Haste or Crit > Mastery > Haste, and none seem to agree on anything. My girlfriend is about to ding 85 on her mage in the next day or so and I want to get a good idea of what sort of stats she should be gunning for as I'm going to be tanking dungeons to help her gear up and improve herself.

Thanks in advance

i read on EJ (here) that it varies depending on raid buffs and what-not.

myself i have haste>mastery>crit

haste is above the rest because the more haste you have the faster you can get AB off.
    you can switch mastery around with crit but in my opinion it's above crit due to the increase in damage durring the conserve phase, but that's just me.

If you have Tier 11 4 set bonus:
    Int>Hit>Mastery>Crit>Haste
    If you do not have Tier 11 4 set bonus:
    Int>Hit>Haste soft cap>Mastery>Crit>Haste

Simple as that

Haste soft cap numbers you can find here for your specific situation: http://icy-veins.com/arcane-mage-pve-guide#sec-5-3-2

Cheers
    - Nitrak
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

Deleted
    http://milamber.ch/spellhastecap.html is better. Since you don't need to do the calculations yourself =P

Quote Originally Posted by Levia86 View Post
    http://milamber.ch/spellhastecap.html is better. Since you don't need to do the calculations yourself =P
    You dont need to do that either on Icy Veins? :P.. He just tells you how you CAN calculate it, and then writes the numbers underneath .
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

Okay that helps a lot and is put in layman's terms so I know what she needs to look for. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazysmacker View Post
    i read on EJ (here) that it varies depending on raid buffs and what-not.

myself i have haste>mastery>crit

haste is above the rest because the more haste you have the faster you can get AB off.
    you can switch mastery around with crit but in my opinion it's above crit due to the increase in damage durring the conserve phase, but that's just me.
    exactly what i was thinkin when i reap topic... at 1st i always went Mastery-haste-crit but has learned that i didnt have enough haste and a large amount of mastery so i had reforged most my gear again so now its haste mastery crit and i noticed a lil bit of increase in my dps =P

It's Int >>>>> Hit (to cap) >>> Mastery = Haste (to soft cap) >= Crit.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the soft haste cap. Although it exists, there is no reason to stack haste to reach it because mastery have essentially equal value with haste. What you actually want to do is to maximise the sum of haste + mastery without letting haste exceed the soft cap.

In 4P T12 if you run a sim, you may find that int > hit to cap > mastery > crit > haste

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the soft haste cap. Although it exists, there is no reason to stack haste to reach it because mastery have essentially equal value with haste. What you actually want to do is to maximise the sum of haste + mastery without letting haste exceed the soft cap.

Essentially equal...as in lesser in value than? Haste is ahead of Mastery until you reach the cap...why would you not prioritize it? That's like saying lifting weights is healthier than sitting around, but you're going to sit around since it's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Essentially equal...as in lesser in value than?
    No, as in essentially equal. The value of stats are not static, they depend on the rest of your gear. Because the differenes between haste and mastery under normal circumstances are typically so tiny (<0.1 DPS), for different mages different stats will come out very slightly ahead. Mastery is valued at around 0.02 DPS more per point than haste for me, for example.

Haste is ahead of Mastery until you reach the cap...why would you not prioritize it? That's like saying lifting weights is healthier than sitting around, but you're going to sit around since it's easier.
    Because Haste is not ahead of Mastery until you reach the cap. There is no basis for that claim. Haste and Mastery work in conjuntion with each other, so you want to take a balanced approach with regards to those stats (even though in practical terms it won't matter because their values are, again, essentially equal). If you stack haste at the expense of mastery then mastery will become more valuable and vice versa.

At what levels of haste vs mastery are the two stats actually balanced is uncertain and probably requires sims to find. But it seems common that mastery pulls ahead around 1200 haste - far below the soft cap.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2011-08-25 at 04:28 AM.

skip all the haste crap and go all out mastery second go for CRIT

10+ Year Old Account
    Turalyon FTW. Just had to say that.

Also, as much as I've been a Haste > Mastery advocate, I have to go back on my previous claims.
    I've ran sims on my current gear and going for haste after hit cap was less then 50dps higher then going for mastery. However, in real raid testing I am pulling higher numbers under the same fights as full mastery then I was as full haste.
    Also, it only boiled down to a .1 sec difference in cast time for me from haste to mastery.

Edit- To the OP, If it's who I think it is, tell them to stop using heart of ignacious and use a DMC:V or Reg Mirror instead.
    Last edited by Saegno; 2011-08-25 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

It's pretty weird for me that i seems to have higher dps running sim, mastery is higher dps compared to haste where i only have 3 pc t12. I'm not soft haste cap as well. But adhering to the advice in this forum, i got higher dps stacking mastery first. 4xAB with raid haste and heroism gives me 1.1sec cast time.

On this whole Mastery vs. Haste discussion... based on initial Theorycrafting available I told the other mages "go for Haste".
    I had not expected they would go SO MUCH to haste as to neglect the other stats. Result was that me (who went "moderately"
    to haste, at that time I had 1400 haste) was doing much more damage than them. When I then went down to 1300 Haste
    (for some more mastery) I went up a little more in damage, so I recommended to the other mages in my raid to do the same.
    They also went up in damage since then. We also compared to what the mages in the huge raiding guilds were doing (especially
    people from one guild on our server who always do the server firsts and stuff). We found out they went to around 1300 Haste
    and then Mastery... So to me this seems to be the way to go.

I tried out going for Haste soft cap last night on our farm raid (with many gear upgrades compared to last week) and did less dps...

I'll be going back to Mastery!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post

This, if you don't have T11(4) it is hard to say which secondary stat will be best (besides hit cap), simcrafting or other tools are the only way to see what would be best. But since she just dinged 85 it doesn't really matter, you just loot all the cloth epics that don't have spirit.

@magic: Stop looking at armories, they don't wear the same gear as you do. So run a simulation to see what would be best for you, it takes 10 min to learn the tool and then 1 min to run each simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Edit- To the OP, If it's who I think it is, tell them to stop using heart of ignacious and use a DMC:V or Reg Mirror instead.
    Nope, not who you're thinking of. Asking this question for my girlfriend's Arcane Mage who is 84 currently and going to ding 85 shortly, so her gear is total pants at the moment and I'm trying to figure out the stat weights so I can get her appropriately geared up for heroics, Zandalari, and raiding.

So it sounds like to start it should be try to keep a fair mix (as was said, basically anything cloth that doesn't have +Spirit), possibly with a slight nod towards Haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Nope, not who you're thinking of. Asking this question for my girlfriend's Arcane Mage who is 84 currently and going to ding 85 shortly, so her gear is total pants at the moment and I'm trying to figure out the stat weights so I can get her appropriately geared up for heroics, Zandalari, and raiding.

So it sounds like to start it should be try to keep a fair mix (as was said, basically anything cloth that doesn't have +Spirit), possibly with a slight nod towards Haste.
    Well if that is the case then yes, just go for higher Ilvl gear sans spirit with a nod towards haste/mastery. She should be able to get at least 2pc T11 fairly quickly and with the massive nerf to 4.1 raids, be able to get carried through those for the rest of her 4 set with ease.
    If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up in game. Pyrrhos of Seraphym, same server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Always the same shit threads. Always the same wrong answers.

There is only one correct answer, and that is that you have to calculate it for yourself after every item switch.

There should be a sticky on this topic, and everybody who creates a new thread about it should be instantly infracted.
    Ecce homo ergo elk