Just built Narwhal, boot failure

So I just finished assembling the Narwhal (from the previous list of parts, not the most recent). When I power the computer on, everything comes on for a moment (all fans, drives start to spin up) but then it just shuts down. Happens every time. Any idea? No beep codes, and it is only on for about 1-2 seconds.

ASUS P8P67M-Pro MB
    2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Intel i5-2500k

(Side question: anyone else have trouble getting the Frio CPU cooler to install over the G.skill RAM heatsinks? It sits right on top of it, pressing down!)

if the cpu heatsink is not properly installed, it will shut down the system almost instantly
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Deleted
    Could be that the mainboard is not installed correctly and somehow makes a connection to the cabinet.

Could be that the CPU cooler is not mounted correctly

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you remember to plug the CPU power cable in your motherboard next to the cpu? I do this mistake like every damn time.
    Shadowpriest & Warlock

have you secured so that the motherboard doesn't hit ANY metal of the cabinet? that might be the cause, try that and lets see if that works(placing the sponge thingy you get it with behind it, or at least a piece of it, and isolate the screw with the small rings you get in the screw pack might help as well.)

I don't get why you would get RAM like the Ripjaws for a P67 system. You don't need RAM like that anymore, especially not with heatsinks. All they do is block the CPU cooler like in your case. I'm not familiar with the "Narwhal" system, would be nice to know what kind of GPU and PSU you are using. Because that the system starts for 1-2 seconds and then shuts down again sounds like a GPU related problem, at least that was the case for me some years ago. After I changed the GPU everything would run without a problem again. If it's not that, it could be that your PSU is not strong enough to completly boot the system or you maybe just missed to plug in some cables or they are not plugged in correctly. Also it could be related to your CPU cooler not beeing correctly installed since its blocked by the heatsink of the Ripjaws RAM.

Hey there, I had THE EXACT SAME problem as you when I built my PC a few months ago.

I tried everything, changing cases, building it with no case, etc still nothing, to fix this problem check your RAM. Take all the sticks out and just put one in the first slot, Then try to boot it up, if it doesn't work, move it to another slot, try it again etc. If that doesn't work the other problem is probably the CPU Fan. Make sure its installed correctly and plugged in and as others said make sure the Mother board isn't touching any metal parts of the case. Hopefully this fixes your problem, worked for me. Let me know if it turned out to be something else so I can look out for it in the future.
    Last edited by Tazorak; 2011-08-25 at 10:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a pure hardware problem, just have to look over everything and make sure it's put together right. If it all looks perfect start pulling out nonessential parts like the ram, video card, stuff that could be casusing problems but the computer doesn't need to boot. Once you get to the post screen you can have more information to work with.

If that fails, then it's prolly the MoBo, cpu or psu. This is where a multi-meter comes in handy but simple bench tests will most likely find your issue. Blind hardware problems suck but you will track it down, GL.

Check CPU Fan if its connected to the CPU fan plug(not to some case fan) Check CPU power Cable, check if you putted the ram in the first slot(0),

If none of the above go back with the mainbord and let them test it.

Deleted
    Is your power supply having problems with all your nice new kit? A problem with the ram wouldnt shut the comp down. It would just not boot up to windows.

Is your power supply having problems with all your nice new kit? A problem with the ram wouldnt shut the comp down. It would just not boot up to windows.
    My PC wouldn't boot because of the RAM. The second I changed it out it booted up with no problems at all. Just something to try if OP is grasping at thin air with nothing else to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
    I've had PCs not even power up at all with just bad ram (usually get a beep code though), every one of these things has a different personality. Best to never go into a blind hardware troubleshoot with any preconceptions.

My supervisor and myself got this motherboard a long while ago. Although likely a different revision. We both had the same problem as you had here, I noticed immediately that my motherboard was actually bending if I put in all the screws required, so I left out the ones that appeared to cause it to bend, as if the bevels on the case were out of sorts. (this is an antec 900 case mind you, but my supervisor has a different case and he had the same problem)

Once I removed the screws that caused the MB to bend and it worked immediately.

I found it unlikely that this was a problem that other people with different cases would have, but since my supervisor had the same problem with a different case, I feel that I should mention this about this particular motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    That's a pure hardware problem, just have to look over everything and make sure it's put together right. If it all looks perfect start pulling out nonessential parts like the ram
    Since when can a computer boot without RAM?

OP, as others have said, start testing parts. For RAM, pull out one stick and see if it boots, then try the other. If you can, try a different video card and make sure the CPU is installed correctly (i.e. the notches on the CPU are lined up and the heatsink is installed correctly and plugged in to the CPU_F header). If worse comes to worst, then remove everything and rebuild it carefully.

@Raigen

The RAM's heatsinks have nothing to do with it, at all. There's a good chance the OP's using the stock cooler, so that wouldn't even be affected by high heatsinks on memory. The Ripjaws especially work with any cooler. Hell, I built a computer with a micro-ATX motherboard, Ripjaws and a Hyper 212 Plus, and it still fit.

The heatsink seemed properly installed and it was plugged into power (1 fan into the CPU_FAN plug, the other into a case fan plug).

The GPU is the XFX Radeon HD6850.

PSU is a Corsair 650 watt.

Case is the Cooler Master HAF 912.

The problem persisted when I took everything out except the CPU and heatsink. I will try remounting the MB next (and check for bending like one poster suggested).

Do these symptoms sound like a bad MB, or just more likely a short somewhere (touching case)? Thanks for all the replies.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    That's a pure hardware problem, just have to look over everything and make sure it's put together right. If it all looks perfect start pulling out nonessential parts like the ram
    lol what /tooshort
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Just putting it in here since it sounds very simular to when my PSU was borked. I got a new one and problem was solved. My system would boot up, start fans, and then turn off. But you better go through the seating of everything first. Reseat your shit and check your ram, if that doesn't work, try adding another PSU and see if it will boot. Just my 10 cent.