RAM slot question

My motherboard has 4 RAM slots with 2 channels, A and B. It has been a long time since I've built my own system. Do you still have to make sure that there is a stick in the first slot of each channel (if you're using both channels)?

For example, could I put 1 stick in Channel A slot 2 and the other in Channel B Slot 1? Motherboard documentation is not clear in this area.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to have it in slot 1, you do want to fill the channel before you add in other slots. I.E. If you can't put a stick in slot 1 because of HSF blocking it, put the sticks in 2,4 instead. Or in your description channel B slots 1 and 2 instead.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Putting one memory stick in each channel (a and b) will allow your memory to run in 'dual channel' mode. Some motherboards can be different on what slots to use so check the installation guide that came with your motherboard. (you can also download that from the motherboard's website)
    Last edited by scoobe; 2011-08-25 at 07:41 PM. Reason: ()

Thanks, I appreciate it!