Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    As a fellow Irishman, you were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Wales is going to win.
    Damnit, Im meant to support england but wales is just so much more awesome!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ill eat my words Liota, predictions dont always go the way you expect ^^

Tommy Bowe you hero tho! 90m run on the 5m line. The brewaries in Auckland will be struggling to get the Guinness out tonight lads!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unorthodox View Post
    Ill eat my words Liota, predictions dont always go the way you expect ^^

Tommy Bowe you hero tho! 90m run on the 5m line. The brewaries in Auckland will be struggling to get the Guinness out tonight lads!
    Lol, indeed. My feeling was the same pre-game admittedly Paul O'Connell in the post-match interview though was great, all business, basically wondering what all the fuss was about, "it was just a pool match"

what a result for Ireland by the way, didn't see that coming!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    ireland beating the aussys is a pretty big upset tho come on england

That game was amazing to watch, I can't believe Ireland pulled that off. Robbie Deans will be regretting taking Cooper over Gitau (SP) now.
    With how South Africa are improving I don't think Aus can make it to the semi final.

Ireland Vs All Blacks final would be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played rugby during high school and a year after, but never seen on TV. My second favorite sport behind hockey.

GO CANADA

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on Wales!

I doubt theyre going to win, but i hope they get really far and show some awesome performances. A showdown with England would be to die for also.

Sébastien Chabal! great rugby player left out of the French roster for this cup

---------- Post added 2011-09-19 at 04:22 AM ----------

Oh yeah. and GO ARGENTINA!

just be glad americans dont embrace rugby and soccer or you would lose every event like in every other sport

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    After seeing the performance of the french squad against New Zealand for the pool match it was very much evident the intent of the French management. From the team selection to the squads performance on the pitch you can tell they went into the match with the intention of losing to get the runner up slot in Group A for the easier quater final against England.

Honestly, its a bit of a farce to see and is an insult to the world cup and more specific to the All blacks for putting on such a crap performance with the intentions they had. Who in there right mind has Julien Pierre, Imanol Harinordoquy and Francois Trinh-Duc on the bench for such a big game? Also Morgen Parra, i'm sorry but taking your only recognised Fly half off the pitch only a bit over half time during the game says it all.

France should be penalised in my opinon for what they did this morning.

To be honest i was expecting a lot more fight from the French than they actually put up, NZ basically toyed with them from the stuff i saw - probably because i saw exactly the same match last November at Murrayfield, NZ turn up and make some poor team their bitch!

And Australia pretty much reminded the US just exactly who's the daddy when it comes to rugby, that was a clinic in how to professionally deal with a much lesser team, their pack got dominated & just got destroyed by quick ball & good fundementals, but by far not the best Aussie performance i've seen, you do get the feeling they have a higher gear to kick into though!

We've got Argentina tomorrow, with respects to England this is the hardest game in our group for us, they're a strong physical team and aren't afraid to mix it so we need to be on our game to beat them, the pundits don't really expect us to do England (i do, but i always believe we'll beat them until we're actually finished) so this game was always going to be the one to make or break our campaign.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

I had never in my life watched rugby until the last couple weeks.. it's pretty fun, and definitely interesting. My favourite part is how it's such a barbaric sport in a way (with the bashing into each other sans padding), but then there are so many.. almost... proper rules? Like the... scrum (I think?) where they have to touch, pause, then engage. I wish I were taller than 5'9" - might go try and find a novice league to muck around in.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    VanillaO if you want to get into rugby and you feel you aint big enough in terms of build, you could always try 7 aside rugby and or tag rugby. 7's is a lot less physical and more based on speed and fitness rather then being fairly built.

Back on topic however, with the pool stages coming to a close this weekend it is starting to look like a lot of the Pools are resulting out in the predicted fasion. Big matches of the weekend will include England vs Scotland, Ireland vs Italy and South Africa vs Samoa. Should be yet another good RWC weekend.

Heres a look at the pools tables to give an indication of how the matches have gone so far:

Pool A:
    Pos Team P W D L PD B Pts
    1 New Zealand 3 3 0 0 127 3 15
    2 France 3 2 0 1 33 2 10
    3 Canada 3 1 1 1 -22 0 6
    4 Tonga 2 1 0 2 -23 1 5
    5 Japan 4 0 1 3 -115 0 2
    Last updated: 27 Sep 2011

Pool B:
    1 England 3 3 0 0 99 2 14
    2 Argentina 3 2 0 1 32 2 10
    3 Scotland 3 2 0 1 18 2 10
    4 Georgia 2 0 0 2 -40 0 0
    5 Romania 3 0 0 3 -109 0 0
    Last updated: 25 Sep 2011

Pool C:
    1 Ireland 3 3 0 0 71 1 13
    2 Australia 3 2 0 1 79 0 10
    3 Italy 3 2 0 1 27 2 10
    4 USA 4 1 0 3 -84 0 4
    5 Russia 3 0 0 3 -93 1 1
    Last updated: 27 Sep 2011

Pool D:
    1 South Africa 3 3 0 0 134 2 14
    2 Wales 3 2 0 1 80 2 10
    3 Samoa 3 2 0 1 50 2 10
    4 Fiji 3 1 0 2 -42 1 5
    5 Namibia 4 0 0 4 -222 0 0
    Last updated: 26 Sep 2011

Here is the layout for the Quater finals and up also.Should be able to see an accurate representation of what team will be where based on the current table.

RWC Quarter Finals Fixtures

8th October 2011 – 07:00 CAT - WINNER C vs RUNNER-UP D at Wellington

8th October 2011 - 09:30 CAT – WINNER B vs RUNNER-UP A at Auckland

9th October 2011 – 07:00 CAT - WINNER D vs RUNNER-UP C at Wellington

9th October 2011 – 09:30 CAT - WINNER A vs RUNNER-UP B at Auckland

RWC Semi Finals Fixtures
    15 October 2011 - 10:00 CAT - WINNER QF 1 vs WINNER QF 2 at Auckland

16 October 2011 – 10:00 CAT - WINNER QF 3 vs WINNER QF 4 at Auckland

RWC 3rd Place Play-Off Fixtures
    21 October 2011 – 09:30 CAT - LOSER SF 1 vs LOSER SF 2 at Auckland

RWC Finals Fixtures
    23 October 2011 – 10:00 CAT - WINNER SF 1 vs WINNER SF 2 at Auckland

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I had never in my life watched rugby until the last couple weeks.. it's pretty fun, and definitely interesting. My favourite part is how it's such a barbaric sport in a way (with the bashing into each other sans padding), but then there are so many.. almost... proper rules? Like the... scrum (I think?) where they have to touch, pause, then engage. I wish I were taller than 5'9" - might go try and find a novice league to muck around in.
    I'm 6'1 and 85kg and I play wing/centre. You don't need to be big to play rugby just learn how to wrap their legs on defence and learn how to run decent lines and you'll be fine.

come on Italy

we have to beat Ireland in the last match, I know it's almost impossible but at least we still have a chance to go through

love rugby <3

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    The results are in and the Quater finals are set. Has been a good weekend of rugby and the i can honestly say some of the matches coming up next weekend will be intense.

Quater Final Fixtures:

Ireland Vs Wales

South Africa Vs Australia

England Vs France

New Zealand Vs Argentina

I am not that suprised myself that the final 8 consists of the soon to be Four nations and 4 teams from the 6 nations. Looks like we will have a Northern Vs Southern Hemisphere final. The only question now is. Who will make it all the way and who will go home next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyknight View Post
    My picks:

Ireland to beat Wales.
    Will be very close, but Ireland are on the high of beating Australia, which gives them the edge.

Australia to beat South Africa.
    Another close one, but the Aussies will be angry!

England to beat France.
    France are in total disarray right now, England aren't playing much better so I predict another "ugly" win.

New Zealand to beat Argentina.
    Even without Carter NZ will be too good for the Argies.
    I disagree on the Aus/SA quarter. The SA forwards will dominate the Aussies and denying Genia of front foot ball shuts the Aussies down quite effectively. Not to mention some weak links (Cooper) don't respond well to pressure where most of the South African side were in the winning team in 07. Be a tight game but I think SA will take it.

The SA/NZ semi will be hard to pick though, losing Carter is devastating, Weepu may end up being given the 1st5 role after all. It's a shame Henry didn't back Cruden from the beginning, he made a critical mistake with Donald.