• Final Fantasy 7

24 35.82%
  • Final Fantasy 8

14 20.90%
  • Final Fantasy 9

29 43.28%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I have not played Final Fantasy VII or VIII (though I have played X and X-2 and XII and XIII). But I just finished playing Final Fantasy IX and it just was a massive blast.. Just seeing how the party works together and shapes into the group they eventually are is just amazing. I know some people did not like Zidane and his character development but seriously, I have never been able to identify so much with some character in any other game. He just does a good job leading the group and harassing Garnet a bit. Then again, I'm not a big fan of love stories but it's nice to see Steiner getting it on (so to say). Vivi's story is pretty sad but still enjoyable since it's so well thought and written. And Amarant... Nothing else to say about him exept that he's the mothaf#cking badass. And Quina's quotes got me laughing my ass off a few times.
    The fights are pretty hard and some places are hell if you're not leveled up enough or happened to pick casters to a place where you cannot use spells.. (been there)
    In a nutshell the story was amazing, I wasn't a fanboy before but now I think I am a fanboy.

I would pick this up, but since I haven't played the VII and VIII I can't compare.. But I can guarantee that you will enjoy Final Fantasy IX a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pönski View Post
    I have not played Final Fantasy VII or VIII (though I have played X and X-2 and XII and XIII). But I just finished playing Final Fantasy IX and it just was a massive blast.. Just seeing how the party works together and shapes into the group they eventually are is just amazing. I know some people did not like Zidane and his character development but seriously, I have never been able to identify so much with some character in any other game. He just does a good job leading the group and harassing Garnet a bit. Then again, I'm not a big fan of love stories but it's nice to see Steiner getting it on (so to say). Vivi's story is pretty sad but still enjoyable since it's so well thought and written. And Amarant... Nothing else to say about him exept that he's the mothaf#cking badass. And Quina's quotes got me laughing my ass off a few times.
    The fights are pretty hard and some places are hell if you're not leveled up enough or happened to pick casters to a place where you cannot use spells.. (been there)
    In a nutshell the story was amazing, I wasn't a fanboy before but now I think I am a fanboy.

I would pick this up, but since I haven't played the VII and VIII I can't compare.. But I can guarantee that you will enjoy Final Fantasy IX a lot.
    You played the exact same Final Fantasy games I played .

The only game that I really found extremely difficult to relate to was Final Fantasy 13 but lets admit it, the game was a travesty. What was your opinion on that game and the other Final Fantasy games (10,10-2,12).

Also thanks. I will be picking up Final Fantasy 9 and enjoying, just like you too.

I would say, it depends on a few things. Have you ever seriously played a final fantasy before? If not, don't get 8, it is far and away more complex than 7 and 9 and may be very frustrating at certain points. 7 Is basically the building block for all final fantasies that came after it, the influence of this game can be seen everywhere in future titles. On the other hand, I would say 9 is the most pure final fantasy experience you could get.

Between 7 and 9, the stories have a vastly different feel. Both are extremely epic, but 7 seems more dark, while 9 is more lighthearted. 7 Is also a bit of a steam punk setting, while 9 is more of traditional medieval fantasy with only a bit of technology and industry thrown in. 8 Is incredible, but I feel like you already have to be a fan of the series to really enjoy it.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralIdea View Post
    9 > 8 > 7

Why? Well 9 as many said FFIX clicks really well, it's entertaining and has an interesting story.

FFVIII is actually my favorite of the three because it was my first FF game but I also like the story of it and how sometimes it made me go "Oh Shit!". However as many said it has some clunky mechanics like the magic system. FFIX and FFVIII you can basically mostly get by on without summons. One of the best things about FFVIII summons is that you can use em as a shield when you know that damage you won't survive is gonna come.

FFVII didn't really click with me, it was the second game I picked up and I really like it up to a certain point where things became... weird, stale, predictable, don't really know which word to use. As I am a "do everything to 100%" type of player I really didn't like the fact that you became so strong so that you could faceroll through everything. I admit FFX (my favorite in the series) has the same issue and so does FFVIII to a certain extent however I did not experience this in FFIX, probably because I never really finished it.

So to sum it all up, in my personal opinion:

FFVII
    Pros: Interesting story with twists and "o shitz" (Up to a certain point). Fun battle system.
    Cons: Things become stale. There are also minor areas that are hard without guides. You can become strong enough to faceroll through stuff (KotR is the most OP summon ever)

FFVIII
    Pros: Great interesting story. A slightly more realistically scaling world. Can't get too OP, you get stronger = enemies get stronger. Summons have a role outside of combat as well (mobile shop, discount in stores, etc). Interesting weapon upgrade system (gather mats - buy weapon)
    Cons: Clunky magic mechanic. Summons are mostly worthless but some are useful. Unless you read everything and are aware of everything that you've read, getting through some places will be extremely difficult without guides (Brothers dungeon, maze, comes to mind in which I spent hours on my first run not being able to get out) also this includes optional summons. Some items are very OP (Hero/Hero War)

FFIX
    Pros: Fun game. Like the battle system. Good story. Interesting characters and character development
    Cons: If unprepared some areas will literally tear you apart at which point you are going to have to exit and level your characters up*. The chocobo mini game is like archaeology in wow

*I also see this as a pro because this makes you think a bit more instead of being able to clear the game on like lvl 1 however I do feel like they should have made a better flow between these zones. When I came to the last zone, with the stairs and shit, I was lvl 60 or maybe even 70 (can't remember) and I still had issues at which point I had to exit and grind lvls for... I don't know how long.

So as I said 9>8>7 in my opinion but... you should start with VII first and then work your way up through the games.

I hope any of this made sense as I'm really tired now and some things may or may not make more or less sense.

Edit: I saw someone mentioning that the Limit Break system of FFVIII was weird. Imo I like a more engaging limit break system instead of just standing there and going like "oh he did something strong". Tifa and Zell have a fun system and I think they should make more of those BUT the Trance system of FFIX was alot better. Enter trance state = abilities do different thing
    FF9 isn't about levels, it's about proper ability usage and gear. Mainly ability usage. I have watched an 8 hour speed run of FF9 where the person did no leveling up outside of required fights, and absolutely steamrolled the entire game due to proper ability combinations. I believe he was level 15 or so when facing the final boss. 9 Is a game that's all about being clever.

9 hands down.

Very romantic fantasy setting, while the other two are more technology focused (especially 7), and it has very interesting characters (especially Vivi, he's the boss).
    9 also has the best soundtrack overall.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I've played 7 and 8 multiple times, and 9 only a few, I would have to say 9.

7 is a classic. It was the game changer and is what propelled FF games to the top during the market wars. 8 has a GREAT story, as long as you don't mind following what's going on and possibly being confused for a few minutes. 9 is a game that I still want to re-play again. The story, the plots, the twists, it's all there and it's all good. If you've never played a FF game before, I'd start with 7, go onto 8, and then 9. I find it hard for myself to play a game with good graphics and work my way down to lesser done graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people will suggest 7 but i prefer 8 than 9 over 7....Yea i know 8 was kind of emo but also i thought the characters were better than 7. Also i think 7 has too much hype and really does not live up to the nostalgia. Just my 2 cents.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 10:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skyve View Post
    9 hands down.

Very romantic fantasy setting, while the other two are more technology focused (especially 7), and it has very interesting characters (especially Vivi, he's the boss).
    9 also has the best soundtrack overall.
    I can agree with most of that...Vivi was amazing...
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go with 7, then you will understand the Advent Children movie which was pretty awesome.