Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Call Microsoft, explain the situation and get a new key. Other than that I don't know of a way to do it free the legal way.
    Or you have to be a student.
    Yeah , this should work I had to do the same when reinstalling Win 7 on my rig. Had a nice woman help me out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Retrieving a product key is perfectly legal and easy using retrieval software. I use a boot cd utility by the name of Hirens which includes a program called Mini XP allowing you to run a version of Windows XP and run the retrieval programs. The retrieval program I use is ProducKey. Never had a single issue retrieving a Microsoft Office or Windows product key with it.
    You can no longer retrieve original CD key from Vista or Win7, only from XP. But you can copy over the encrypted files that handle the activation on your computer. Then reinstall clean windows and copy the activation data back. It will work, but only when using the exact same version of Windows (32/64 bit, language and installed service packs need to match).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Yeah, except they made distinctions for that. Like copying data into RAM, computer has to do that to function, so no problem. But deliberately using something like the Pirate Bay to download Windows because you bought it already, nope, not legal.

Stupid I know, but yeah.
    I was pretty sure they don't have a problem with you downloading it as long as you have a legit key since that's really what you're paying for, the license to use the product and not the actual program(OS).
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Get access to a bar code reader and see if you can scan the COA. Depending on the distro/scheme of the COA at the time there will be 1 or 2 barcodes on the sticker. If a scanner can pick up the bar codes you have your product key.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

The problem is that making a copy of what you "own" is fine, but downloading it is considered infringing, regardless of whether you bought it legally elsewhere or not.

The difference being you have the right to copy it for personal use, like a back up copy. But you are not given the right to download it from someone else.

I don't agree with copyright in the slightest, but that's how it is for the most part.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

You should have a sticker with the serial key on the bottom of your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    You should have a sticker with the serial key on the bottom of your laptop.
    That key just usually can't be used to install plain vanilla Windows, it's just an OEM placeholder.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

The problem is that making a copy of what you "own" is fine, but downloading it is considered infringing, regardless of whether you bought it legally elsewhere or not.

The difference being you have the right to copy it for personal use, like a back up copy. But you are not given the right to download it from someone else.

I don't agree with copyright in the slightest, but that's how it is for the most part.
    I don't think anyone would mind if you have an original CD key and you download it from someone else. You haven't caused any financial damage to Microsoft this way. Torrenting is an exception, since you download and upload at the same time, and the uploading part is illegal.
    Of course, there is always a possibility that Windows copies not downloaded from Microsoft might include viruses.

You would think that, but if the RIAA and MPAA are any indication, they DO mind. They see ANY download as a lost sale, even if you bought it previously. there's also the companies that like to treat the purchase as a physical product and/or a license, depending on how it benefits them. Break a disc? Oh well, buy a whole new copy, even though you bought a license and should be able to get a replacement for the broken original plus a few bucks for new media and shipping. Lost the key code, or the paper it's on? Oh well, gotta buy a new one!

Not saying all companies do this, but many actually do. It's difficult to get them to advance with the times and changes in technology. And one last thing related to the "every download is a lost sale" thing. Sure there are people who don't wanna pay for anything. But there are also others who have some value in a given software, but that value has no cost associated with it. ie I could use this program, but it's not worth paying for, or not worth paying the cost they ask. This value is different for each person, not something that can be dictated by the seller. Middle ground they fail or refuse to see.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

I think most companies should adopt Blizzard's policy on software.
    You bought the cd key and the cd key is stored online with your name and personal information on it. Nobody cares about the actual game client, since without a valid account it's useless. You can download it from them, copy/paste it from a friend or whatever.
    If you lost the DVD, you can download it from them. If you lost the account, ok, prove that you are the person whose personal information is on the account info and they give it back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I think most companies should adopt Blizzard's policy on software.
    You bought the cd key and the cd key is stored online with your name and personal information on it. Nobody cares about the actual game client, since without a valid account it's useless. You can download it from them, copy/paste it from a friend or whatever.
    If you lost the DVD, you can download it from them. If you lost the account, ok, prove that you are the person whose personal information is on the account info and they give it back to you.
    Well, wanna see something funny about that?

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Title: World Of Warcraft
    Notice ID: 290-11850835
    Infringement Source: DirectConnect
    Infringement Timestamp: 13 May 2011 03:33:34 GMT
    Infringement Last Documented: 13 May 2011 03:33:34 GMT
    Infringer Username: Ispano
    Infringing Filename: World of Warcraft.iso
    Infringing Filesize: 2688057344
    Infringer IP Address:
    Infringer DNS Name:
    Infringer Port ID: 0
    Infringer Bay ID: B77O5K3E7GJBMWQDPNQOCEF4YIVXBUZK46IUONI|2688057344

Well, wanna see something funny about that?

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Title: World Of Warcraft
    Notice ID: 290-11850835
    Infringement Source: DirectConnect
    Infringement Timestamp: 13 May 2011 03:33:34 GMT
    Infringement Last Documented: 13 May 2011 03:33:34 GMT
    Infringer Username: Ispano
    Infringing Filename: World of Warcraft.iso
    Infringing Filesize: 2688057344
    Infringer IP Address:
    Infringer DNS Name:
    Infringer Port ID: 0
    Infringer Bay ID: B77O5K3E7GJBMWQDPNQOCEF4YIVXBUZK46IUONI|2688057344
    It's ridiculous. Did you get a fine or something ?

Maybe you can try torrenting a new key for W7

10+ Year Old Account
    If by any chance you bought it digitally from Microsoft you can view your product keys at the Windows store. I had to do that when switching laptops over.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's ridiculous. Did you get a fine or something ?
    No, it's just a notice, but it's like wait, what? I can download it direct from Blizzard, why am I getting this? But it illustrates my point that most companies are in the past when it comes to these things.

No, it's just a notice, but it's like wait, what? I can download it direct from Blizzard, why am I getting this? But it illustrates my point that most companies are in the past when it comes to these things.
    I doubt that Blizzard is responsible, or if they are, they didn't know that you actually own the game. It won't pass a lawsuit if it gets to that.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    That key just usually can't be used to install plain vanilla Windows, it's just an OEM placeholder.
    I've never had an issue using the laptops key to install an OEM or Retail copy of Windows. Usually have to telephone in the activation though.

DAZ loader or bios mod.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    DAZ loader or bios mod.
    Its against forum regulations to suggest cracking software.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Its against forum regulations to suggest cracking software.
    really?

I was going to suggest thepiratebay.