Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What should I be gemming for? Prot pally for RBGs

hey guys, first time on the pally forums

I was having a discussion with my friend the other day, when i mentioned how much health i had in my pvp spec (180k fully buffed) he then said instead of gemming stam I should be gemming resi.

Anynone know if this is right? should I re-gem or leave it ass it is? here is my armoury

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ygerpal/simple

Only done a few RBGs, but I lvoe them and iI want to start doing them more regularly so im trying to gem right so i get a group
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Well I'm not sure what the threshold is for stamina outweighing resilience (if there is any point at which that happens), but I do know that your chest is gemmed weird.

Deleted
    gem full resi-sta gems.
    The reason is just cause the damage you take will be less in comparance to heaving a big health pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah having the extr resi would be nice :P oka ill do stam/resi gems thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Any RBGs as a flag carrier this is all sound advice. If you're not carrying the flag, then go Ret. You don't do any significant amount of damage to make it worthwhile for your team to carry you in prot.

Deleted
    If you`re doing rated bg`s is good to be retri/prot specced. If youll queue for random and you`ll get Gilneas for instance you can respec to prot fast and have 1 tank each base, which make defending really easy (with Divine Guardian, all tanks CDs and MASSIVE aoe (hammer of righteous on shammy totems -> everyone gets dmg). This will help to keep base before help from other will come So prot is good not only for flag keeping:P

10+ Year Old Account
    First off I would drop the talent toughness is not very useful as everyone has allot of damage that bypasses armor these days.

I would suggest this spec http://wowtal.com/#k=-tS7jl24.b0w.paladin.QeeRZ The remaining 5 talent points can be spent in any mix of Improved Judgment, Rule of Law, or Pursuit of Justice depending upon what your doing.
    As for the remaining glyphs word of Glory or CS is good for prime, Cleansing, Divine Protection or Holy Wrath is good for major.

Also for enchants & gems you should go for as much stamina & resilience as possible, spell pen, spirit & other stats are not needed though strength does help some.

Also if you get the pursuit of justice talent the boot enchant is useless as movement speed increases don't stack (would be nice if they did though).

Also as a paladin remember you will get turned down for serious groups allot unless you are holy because ret & prot are sub par compared to other melee or tank specs where pvp is concerned. This is because they are in a weird spot where they don't heal like a real healer & lack the offensive pressure most other dps have meaning they don't exceed at either.
    This is all mainly due to the lack of any type of stance system which the designers have admitted is a necessity for hybrids but one the management has not allowed them to implement.

In the end all I can say is best of luck & I hope you do the spec proud.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygersaf View Post
    hey guys, first time on the pally forums

I was having a discussion with my friend the other day, when i mentioned how much health i had in my pvp spec (180k fully buffed) he then said instead of gemming stam I should be gemming resi.

Anynone know if this is right? should I re-gem or leave it ass it is? here is my armoury

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ygerpal/simple

Only done a few RBGs, but I lvoe them and iI want to start doing them more regularly so im trying to gem right so i get a group
    It really depends, You can go a number of ways.

Str/Stam - Red
    Res/Stam - Yellow
    Res/Stam - Blue
    Pure Stam - Blue
    Pure Res - Yellow

Something you will learn fast as a prot Paladin flag carrier you will want to get 2PC Holy PvP gear and 3 PC Ret. This will allow you to get the Resilience 2pc bonus for 400 Resilience 2 times it gives you a big advantage over all other tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    Something you will learn fast as a prot Paladin flag carrier you will want to get 2PC Holy PvP gear and 3 PC Ret. This will allow you to get the Resilience 2pc bonus for 400 Resilience 2 times it gives you a big advantage over all other tanks.
    Wrong!
    The double 400 resi doesn't count. Only 1 time 400 resi will be calculated.

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 05:12 PM ----------

I'm a evoted Prot PVP Paladin myself. For me it's the only form of Paladin PVP i love.
    RBGwise as FC, we're not that wanted because of our lack of mobility vs a warrior with charge and heroic leap.

The problem i face is the choosing between Stamina VS Resilience + Crit VS Mastery.
    Ok, we need at least something like 4.3k resi but is it wise to go fully resi after that or stay at 4.3k resi and go for stamina after that?
    Resilience is nice of course but doesn't reduce the opportunity of critting on us.

Mastery seems to help vs melee but what with al those ranged nuking on us? Isn't it better to go croit to get higher WOG's, ...?

I'm talking about being Flag Carrier here, no solo battlegrounding because there you want crit of course.

i would not aim for resil after the 4k mark, on my ret i was over 4k resil but quickly found that resil drops off REALY QUICKLY i went from 1 point damage reductions from 100 resil, to 1 point every 120 resil by the time i went from 4000 to 4200, so it looks like after 4k you will lose 10% of its value every 100 points you get.

stay around 4k, 40% damage reduction is a good number, aim for stam / str imo after that,

red = stam str
    blue = stam str
    yellow = stam resil

that would be the best setup imo having seen just how fast resil drops off.

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    i would not aim for resil after the 4k mark, on my ret i was over 4k resil but quickly found that resil drops off REALY QUICKLY i went from 1 point damage reductions from 100 resil, to 1 point every 120 resil by the time i went from 4000 to 4200, so it looks like after 4k you will lose 10% of its value every 100 points you get.

stay around 4k, 40% damage reduction is a good number, aim for stam / str imo after that,

red = stam str
    blue = stam str
    yellow = stam resil

that would be the best setup imo having seen just how fast resil drops off.
    Resilience does not drop off. Ever. No, it really doesn't. It always stays at the same value.

I'm also under the impression that resilience is always better than stamina unless you're matching a blue socket (resilience/stamina).

Deleted
    So, everyone seems to have an opinion here. Anything with a good and proven motivation for a fulltime FC (Flag Carrier)?

Let's say you have good gear like mine (5 non-ruthless left), how you go from there? Doing damage is easy to test on a dummy, but taking damage isn't that easy to test on.

Stamina VS Resi.
    Go full resi, full stamina, mix of both? A minimum resi to aim for? Healers tend to choose higher HP over resi from what i'v seen...
    I could change my JC resi gems to +101 stamina gems, which would drop my resi to +- 4.2k resilience.

And what to reforge to as a protpala FC? Crit seems good, but maybe also Mastery? Hitcap usefull/needed in maps like AB and BoG?
    There're some prot warrior topics, but we can't really compare to a warrior needs....

Deleted
    Any other paladin FC around or someone with experience?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Resilience does not drop off. Ever. No, it really doesn't. It always stays at the same value.
    They added DR to resil a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    They added DR to resil a few months back.
    Im not sure how he meant, but if he meant it like... that it works as armor
    does, every point of resilience or armor you get is as good as the previous point.
    Before the DR was added to resil, it kept getting better and better the more you had.
    Just like avoidance was before it got DR.
    Now is just stays the same nomatter how much you have, say going from 2000->2200
    will be as much a boost in survivability as going from 4000->4200. Before the latter
    would give a bigger boost.

Deleted
    Yeah, 4.4k resi seems great atm.

However, i have no clue what to do with reforging? Did all Mastery now, but i've heard there's a hard cap. Can i reach this in pvp gear? What about crit or dodge/parry?

Quote Originally Posted by Drphyll View Post
    Any other paladin FC around or someone with experience?
    Prot paladins make fairly poor flag carriers for RBGs unfortunately.

You can't remove slows from yourself with anything other than Freedom which will be very quickly stolen or dispelled.

You can't sprint like a feral druid does.

You have no intercept/charge/Heroic Leap type abilities.

At higher ratings paladins, just aren't a good option for carrying the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Drphyll View Post
    Yeah, 4.4k resi seems great atm.

However, i have no clue what to do with reforging? Did all Mastery now, but i've heard there's a hard cap. Can i reach this in pvp gear? What about crit or dodge/parry?
    "Hard cap" is 102.4% CTC to push melee hits off the combat table against an enemy 3 levels higher than you. Against players, it'd be 100% CTC and equivalent to about 3k mastery, making it impossible in PVP gear and not smart to go for because you can't block spells or ranged attacks or melee attacks from behind. Crit would be the best thing to reforge towards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlolz View Post
    "Hard cap" is 102.4% CTC to push melee hits off the combat table against an enemy 3 levels higher than you. Against players, it'd be 100% CTC and equivalent to about 3k mastery, making it impossible in PVP gear and not smart to go for because you can't block spells or ranged attacks or melee attacks from behind. Crit would be the best thing to reforge towards.
    also you probably spend a lump of time stunned where ctc gets you nothing as well or dismantled ( no sheild no block, no weapon no parry).

gem for resi it means all your current health worth more.
    geming for stamina makes you more into a mana spounge and if a healer lands a 30k heal on you if you got resi it takes more damg from your opponenets to remove that 30k than if you gemed stamina.