15+ Year Old Account

My PC is working slower, why?

Hey.

First off. I'm not that much into computers, so I don't know that much about driver's, overclocking and stuff like that.

Now to the problem.
    In the last month or two, my computer is having massive lag spikes / fps drops when I'm raiding, questing, pvping etc. and I also had to turn my settings down to high instead of ultra. My pc used to be able to run WoW on ultra without problems
    I cant seem to find the problem. It feels like my pc is just running slower atm.

Here is the facts in WoW.

My fps is normally 50 in org. 50-60 on Ragnaros. But sometimes it just go down to 15-20. and other times I just DC. Also two or three times or so my screen just went black and wouldn't respond before I restarted my pc. This is all on high with Shadow on fair.

PC information:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-750 4x2,66GHz (Turbo 3.20GHz) (Taken from the recept, got no clue what it means)
    Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB GDDR5 RAM
    RAM: 4GB
    Running windows 7 proffesional, 64 bit.

My screen: Ilyama E2407HDSD 24" (Click the link for the information about that)

If there is more info you need, just ask,

Thanks for reading, and I hope you guys can help me out.

EDIT: Also my computer got its first blue screen shut down one week ago. Is it normal?
    Last edited by Bessemor; 2011-08-26 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    Have you checked temperatures with software like HWMonitor?
    Sounds like you're having overheating problems.
    It might be the time to clean your case and get all the dust out.

there can be a few issues with the information you have provided
    A) hardware issue in which case go see your local PC shop or make a nerdy friend!

B)
    I would think that your PC has become 'cluttered' so to speak.

I would then suggest 'cleaning it up'

there is a brilliant program called CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

its free so don't worry!

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Have you checked temperatures with software like HWMonitor?
    Sounds like you're having overheating problems.
    It might be the time to clean your case and get all the dust out.
    This is also very likely
    Last edited by Rekindled; 2011-08-26 at 12:19 PM.
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

10+ Year Old Account
    Clean up the background processes and the air intakes to keep it cooler.

15+ Year Old Account
    I already tried CCleaner, and cleaning the inside up :s

Here is a pic of the temperature program

Deleted
    That is a very hot idle temp for the 4890.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going to try clean it up again

10+ Year Old Account
    Learn to do this stuff manually, I have never encountered an app that did it properly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, as far as I can see, there is no dust inside my pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since you cleaned up everything, and used ccleaner, check if your C: drive is not too full, and check if you are not running to many programs in the background when you play games, 4gb ram on a 64 bit win7 is really the minimum ram you should have !

Also is that temperature while playing games or when its idle ? try it when playing games, check if it goes around 90degree, if it does you got your culprit... its either dusty or your video card fan is not working properly.

Airflow is also important in a PC case.
    Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a very hot idle temp for the 4890.
    This stood out for me too. Fan is not spinning or gunked up too all hell, a card below it is restricting airflow, kitty is asleep in front of the outlet...

Look it over.

Deleted
    The 3 most obvious flaws are "software clutter" or large amounts of spyware and tracking software. These can be fixed using good cleaning programs like the aforementioned.

The second is hardware malfunctioning. PSUs can get saturated by dust, as can CPU fans and GPU coolers. Cleaning your PC from the inside is an important task, especially in a dusty environment. But sometimes it's too late and the damage is already done. Then is comes down to identifying which component is the root of the problem.

The third is a driver conflict or update-related problem that can occur when two programs or drivers clash when their surroundings change. These may seem random at first but can be deducted step by step.

In any case, I recommend you format your PC if you haven't done that in a while (6+ months). That should rule out most software related problems and should also make the PC smoother and more responsive.

If that doesn't fix the problem however, then chances are the issue is hardware related. In that case there's no clear way to identify the problem aside from "trial&error".

15+ Year Old Account
    So yea, my Graphic Card temperature is 75 inside when I got wow and Opera running :s And thats idling in org, wonder what Ragnaros do to it.
    It could be a driver problem, but I haven't done anything on that note since I got the computer.
    And yea, I was thinking about reinstalling w7 to see if that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    The 3 most obvious flaws are "software clutter" or large amounts of spyware and tracking software. These can be fixed using good cleaning programs like the aforementioned.

The second is hardware malfunctioning. PSUs can get saturated by dust, as can CPU fans and GPU coolers. Cleaning your PC from the inside is an important task, especially in a dusty environment. But sometimes it's too late and the damage is already done. Then is comes down to identifying which component is the root of the problem.

The third is a driver conflict or update-related problem that can occur when two programs or drivers clash when their surroundings change. These may seem random at first but can be deducted step by step.

In any case, I recommend you format your PC if you haven't done that in a while (6+ months). That should rule out most software related problems and should also make the PC smoother and more responsive.

If that doesn't fix the problem however, then chances are the issue is hardware related. In that case there's no clear way to identify the problem aside from "trial&error".
    You are so bad at this.

You have a very basic idea of how to give advice but your refinement and expirence are lacking.

Work on that, ducky =)

15+ Year Old Account
    *puts on best fake british accent*

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

(sorry,couldnt resist xD)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Are you telling people to reformat their PC every 6 months?
    Learn to manage your PC propperly, know what you install and know what type of sites you visit. I haven't reformated this PC in 2 years until now since I did a major upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessemor View Post
    So yea, my Graphic Card temperature is 75 inside when I got wow and Opera running :s And thats idling in org, wonder what Ragnaros do to it.
    It could be a driver problem, but I haven't done anything on that note since I got the computer.
    And yea, I was thinking about reinstalling w7 to see if that helps.
    You can leave HWMonitor running during the raid and in the middle of the FPS dip, alt-tab to check the temps. You can also do this after the battle if you don't want to wipe the raid. Anything above 90C generally shouldn't happen with cards at stockspeeds. There are some exceptions, but the 4890 shouldn't be one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You can leave HWMonitor running during the raid and in the middle of the FPS dip, alt-tab to check the temps. You can also do this after the battle if you don't want to wipe the raid. Anything above 90C generally shouldn't happen with cards at stockspeeds. There are some exceptions, but the 4890 shouldn't be one of those.
    This would be a good idea. A key point is to check what your max temps were, not what the temps are after you've alt-tabbed, because temps drop really really quickly.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    You are so bad at this.

You have a very basic idea of how to give advice but your refinement and expirence are lacking.

Work on that, ducky =)
    Condescending much? What's with the attitude?

My advice is merely drawing from personal experience and nothing you say can discredit that.

---------- Post added 2011-08-26 at 01:44 PM ----------

Are you telling people to reformat their PC every 6 months?
    Learn to manage your PC propperly, know what you install and know what type of sites you visit. I haven't reformated this PC in 2 years until now since I did a major upgrade.
    Not generally no, but if something is wrong, formating is an extreme way of canceling out all possible software conflicts and errors. Also less experienced PC users do tend to "clog up" their systems with massive amounts of useless software and spyware and then wonder why their system is slow. In fact many of my friends and family belong into that category of users and they see a huge benefit from formatting every once in a while.

Of course, as a watchful and informed gamer, the chances of clogging up your PC are a lot smaller and thus is the need for regular formating.

15+ Year Old Account
    I reinstalled W7 on it now and did a total clean out of the inside, but it still seems to work very slowly and get lag spikes.
    At the moment my idle temperature of my card is 60 degrees. I cant check the temperature while raiding until sunday.
    I got really no clue about whats wrong with it.