Thread: Search problem?

Search problem?

So, for the last few months that I've been posting here, I've always typed my name (noteworthynerd, just like over there <-) into the search bar in order to find threads in which people have replied to (i.e. quoted) me.

Today, everytime I try, I get the following: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms., I've checked and then double checked my spelling, but I'm still getting that message.

Was something implemented overnight? Perhaps an intelligent filter that only returns results I've not yet seen?

There is an overhaul being done to the Search feature right now. Not sure if I'm allowed to quote stuff from the Mod forum, so I'll wait to see if Sunshine replies, but right now it seems to not be returning older posts correctly. New posts after the implementation should be working fine, I think, though. Should all get caught up/fixed eventually.

(As a side note, part of the new search feature includes that nifty "Similar Threads" box underneath threads with popular titles now! Very handy, but be wary of necro'ing older posts.)

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's temporary!

We switched to a new faster, cleaner, awesomer search, but it needs a little time to index everything properly. It seems to have gotten the news articles, old posts from before we switched to vBulletin, and everything that was added yesterday after we made the switch, and it's catching up on the rest now.

Excellent, thanks for the responses. =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Search indexes are fixed, although default search is happening by relevance instead of by date. I'm going to see if we can switch it back to date instead, since that's what we're used to.

Side note, we've also enabled a new "Post Areas" tab on profiles, where you can see in which forums you post most often.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Side note, we've also enabled a new "Post Areas" tab on profiles, where you can see in which forums you post most often.
    This is really cool.

Did the new search disable the 30 seconds required in between searches?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes! I think you still have to wait 5 seconds or something, but it's much, much less.

Seems to be happening again today, more updates?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't even bother checking the forum before I asked, just saw Sunshine's response in the other post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Yes! I think you still have to wait 5 seconds or something, but it's much, much less.
    Will this be a permanent addition?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Fancy new search is hear to stay.