FPS Issues (Yes, another one of these!)

Hello,

I've pretty recently upgraded my PC with new CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM. I know people who have similar setup to me but they get better results. The problem is that in Firelands I can drop to 20 FPS, and I run at 30-35 FPS sometimes during boss encounters and this is not even with all on Ultra. I have everything on Low or Medium. Particle Density is on Medium aswell of course, AA is lowest, so's Multisampling.

Of course I know that not everyone have the same FPS just because of the same setup, there's other things to take into consideration aswell, but I was hoping if anyone could just point me into the right direction which could boost it.

CPU: i5-2500k
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
    Motherboard: MSI P67S-C43 B3, Socket-1155

Before anyone asks, the CPU is not overclocked because I haven't got a proper fan (got the stock cooler and I don't know how much it can handle). The RAM is set to 1600MHz in BIOS as it should, and the GPU is not overclocked because I don't really have high experience with it so I've just let it alone and play on the standard values.

I do not really have any other applications in the background either, just World of Warcraft and Ventrilo. I have tried playing in Full Screen, Windowed mode and full screen windowed mode but no difference there. I've also tried to set World of Warcraft to highest priority in the task manager.

I guess I should point out I don't have a legitimate version of Windows 7, and I've read that really reduces the performance (not sure if true or false though). So, any help or anything at all is greatly appreciated that could resolve this, or atleast improve it.

Thanks in advance!

That spec should be perfectly fine for much higher fps than you currently get.

Did you format your hd and install a fresh copy of 64bit windows?
    Did you install your motherboard drivers and then the latest nvidia drivers?

You should easily be able to run ultra on everything and 60+ fps with that I think.. so yeah..strange

Deleted
    i have a similar set up but with an r6870 and before i OC'd my CPU, orgrimmar was around 50fps and raid were also around 50fps, so it does seem odd. i guess the obvious thing is to cut+paste interface folder to the desktop and run the game without any add ons at all (sometimes just disabling doesn't work) and see if it improves. you could also try updating drivers if you haven't already. for some reason windows doesn't always get you the newest ones. with me for example, it got the release drivers which are nearly a year old, so yeah, try that.

Deleted
    Get a legit copy of Windows, format and reinstall Windows. Install and update to latest driver (board, GPU etc.), check for heat problems.

Profit?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned you should have formatted the HDD and did a fresh installation of Windows. Driver corruption from installing a new motherboard over top of the old drivers is my first guess at the issue. The next would be to make sure you are using the most recent version of the nVidia graphics driver found here. I also recommend deleting your WTF, Cache, and Interface folders from the WoW game folder. FPS issues can easily be a corrupted add on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why a illegitimate copy of win 7 would reduce performance unless it's filled with crapware and the like. Possibly that the BIOS emulator might fuck up things if unlucky (if that's the method still in use, IIRC that was the method they used for vista).

But nevertheless you should get a legitimate copy. Not only is it more legal that way but you also get the added benefits of surviving the windows updates that are set to disable activation cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    That spec should be perfectly fine for much higher fps than you currently get.

Did you format your hd and install a fresh copy of 64bit windows?
    Did you install your motherboard drivers and then the latest nvidia drivers?
    Thanks for the replies sofar, I did not format my HD after getting the new hardware. I did however install my motherboard drivers, and then the nvidia drivers yes.

I'm going to try to reinstall windows later today or somewhere in the weekend before our next raid (which is Ragnaros 25HC only, so won't get to test it alot). I have no heat problems either, forgot to mention that.

I don't really use any addons either, only DXE, G15 action buttons, Skada and PRAT.

We have similiar computers but since I do only 10mans we can't really compare.. Only 25man I do is BH, and there my fps is always capped to the refresh rate (vsync) = 50fps. Im running the game ultra exept shadows high, 1920x1080 resolution. WoW and/or Windows reinstall might help, it seems like a driver problem. How about other games, what is your fps in those?
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    We have similiar computers but since I do only 10mans we can't really compare.. Only 25man I do is BH, and there my fps is always capped to the refresh rate (vsync) = 50fps. Im running the game ultra exept shadows high, 1920x1080 resolution. WoW and/or Windows reinstall might help, it seems like a driver problem. How about other games, what is your fps in those?
    I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 with everything maxed out just fine, but what the exact FPS is I don't know. I don't really have that big monitor either, I have a 1280x1024.

I am reinstalling Windows (completely formated my harddrive) right now, so I'll see if it helped on sunday at my next raid.

Deleted
    you say you ONLY use a couple of add ons, but that doesn't matter. if you only use one and it's bad, it'll drop your fps like mad. i remember a long time ago when one i used reduced me from 60fps to only 1-5 fps. i deleted it completely and i was fine. it's not exactly hard to move the folder and open up wow, so not sure why you wouldn't try that first.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear if you buy a legitimate copy of Windows, your fps will double or triple ^^

Also, turn off your combat log, and make sure shadows are down.

Oh, and if you get an aftermarket heatsink and OC, you'll see big improvements too, since 25-mans are stupidly cpu heavy.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I hear if you buy a legitimate copy of Windows, your fps will double or triple ^^

Also, turn off your combat log, and make sure shadows are down.

Oh, and if you get an aftermarket heatsink and OC, you'll see big improvements too, since 25-mans are stupidly cpu heavy.
    Suggesting to reduce CPU intensive task is not a viable option, this setup can run any 25man @ 60FPS with Max settings, overclocked or not.

@OP : Yea just format, do a clean installation, install mobo driver then nvidia driver, then WoW. In the Nvidia control panel dont force any AA or AF , put everything on let application decide (pretty much default)